DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Drag Racing Discussion
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Drag Racing Discussion Post your questions and info about how to best get these beasts down the 1320!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-11-2013, 08:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Deepwater Blue
Rep:130
Swaggerville Ram will become famous soon enoughSwaggerville Ram will become famous soon enough

Dana 60 semi float are by no means bullet proof. At all. So to say a 9.25 is in the same league is not a stretch. IMO.

"I don't care to hear what your ideas are, mine are better"
Sponsored links
Old 06-11-2013, 08:39 PM

Rep:146
RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticl...s/viewall.html
Old 06-11-2013, 10:12 PM

Swaggerville Ram will become famous soon enoughSwaggerville Ram will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFlyer View Post
Interesting. Except any article that rates a Dana 60 stronger than a Ford 10.25 and a 14 bolt stronger than a rockwell has some serious credibility issues. 60's are not in the same area code as a 10.25. Not even close. But I'd agree with where the 9.25 rates in conjunction with the 9" and the other semi floats.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:09 AM

RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggerville Ram View Post
Interesting. Except any article that rates a Dana 60 stronger than a Ford 10.25 and a 14 bolt stronger than a rockwell has some serious credibility issues. 60's are not in the same area code as a 10.25. Not even close. But I'd agree with where the 9.25 rates in conjunction with the 9" and the other semi floats.
No pun intended but this is NOT a ring and pinion only chart. I see that you are no dummy, but try reading the article a little more closely. The Rockwell axles and Ford's 10.25 housings have issues in oem form. Once you change out the Rockwell 16 spline axles and brace Ford's 10.25 tubes from spinning in the housing you move them up into their rightful place in the charts. Till then, the Dana 60 spicer RULES. Second, for the origunal OP I agree that the 9.25 Chrysler rearend is certainly strong enough to withstand a modest 550 rwhp. However it is no where near as strong as what is considered one of the strongest heavy weight OEM rearends on the planet. And unless it is a last resort.... between Moser, Currie, and Mark Williams, none of these companies in their right mind is going to recommend a 9.25 chrysler rearend over a Dana 60 for a 550 hp and up build.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:35 AM

Huh? 10.25 housing spinning is a complete farce. I've truck pulled with them and never spun them. That's an old wives tale.

The pinions are the sterlings only weakness. Sterlings are stronger in every facet than D70's, so to say 60's are stronger is without a better term laughable.
Truck pull with a 60 and you'll be pickin parts up off the track for sure.

Ring gears are thin, axles are small and brittle, pinions are small and bearings weak. They are arguably weaker than a 9". No where close to 10.25. The people who wrote the article are obviously idiots and never ran one. Same with the 16 spline Rockwell. 14 bolts have way too many pinion shortcomings to be close to a match for the Rockwell.

Last edited by Swaggerville Ram; 06-14-2013 at 12:40 AM.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Huh? 10.25 housing spinning is a complete farce. I've truck pulled with them and never spun them. That's an old wives tale.

The pinions are the sterlings only weakness. Sterlings are stronger in every facet than D70's, so to say 60's are stronger is without a better term laughable.
Truck pull with a 60 and you'll be pickin parts up off the track for sure.

Ring gears are thin, axles are small and brittle, pinions are small and bearings weak. They are arguably weaker than a 9". No where close to 10.25. The people who wrote the article are obviously idiots and never ran one. Same with the 16 spline Rockwell. 14 bolts have way too many pinion shortcomings to be close to a match for the Rockwell.
You don't stop do you? I don't get into truck pulling but I did some research and the Rockwell Bendix and Rezepa axles are made of cast and are weak. So unless you get some aftermarket or spicer axles I agree with the article. I also found on Pirate 4X4 that they do weld the Ford 10.25 to keep them from spinning so I agree with that too. I can't imagine what truck pulls you participated in if you're not aware of these issues. All said, there's only three decent rearends for our trucks and Rockwell isn't one of them. And don't worry yourself, I don't plan on ever getting into a pulling contest with any rearends. I'm done here!
Old 06-15-2013, 12:13 AM

I don't stop? Do you? Weld housings with 44" tires maybe. Do they weld them cause they spin or they think they could? A 60 is close to a 9.25 in strength. Not a 10.25. And realize you're referring to an article that is taking aftermarket support into account.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/ford/...25-shafts.html
Check out the pic and read the caption below.

Last edited by Swaggerville Ram; 06-15-2013 at 12:33 AM.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:19 AM

Quote:
I don't stop? Do you? Weld housings with 44" tires maybe. Do they weld them cause they spin or they think they could? A 60 is close to a 9.25 in strength. Not a 10.25. And realize you're referring to an article that is taking aftermarket support into account.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/ford/...25-shafts.html
Check out the pic and read the caption below.
I'm through discussing the 9.25 vs a Dana 60 and the rest of it, I made my point. Yes this is aftermarket support to help deal with their issues so what is your point? They weld them to prevent it from happening regardless of the tire size though I'm sure it matters. Tulsa Off-Road charts seems identical with everything jp magazine is saying so I agree with it myself.

Last edited by RadioFlyer; 06-15-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:53 PM

Vehicle: 1990 RamCharger
Color: Red
Engine: 1988-1991 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep:85
Gen1dak will become famous soon enough

There's a reason rears like the 9.25 are not allowed in faster racing classes without mods. C-clips. Fine for hot street use, but you wanna put serious power through one, find a c-clip eliminator of get a different rear.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen1dak View Post
There's a reason rears like the 9.25 are not allowed in faster racing classes without mods. C-clips. Fine for hot street use, but you wanna put serious power through one, find a c-clip eliminator of get a different rear.
What ever floats your boat, and then you still have to deal with the crush sleeve preload issues ..not me. It's bad enough that you have to listen to clunking noises in your brand new truck let alone after it gets a few years old. That along with these pinion nut issues is all it takes for me. My point for the OP is, those who have one with the lSD they'll certainly suffice. If money was not an issue, would I purchase one over a Dana for a build...never in a million years. Then again if money weren't an issue for me I would buy a lighter Moser M9 with an aluminum carrier/center section to save weight.