DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-20-2012, 03:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1997 ram 2500
Trim Level: 2500
Color: red
Engine: 1996-1998 359ci (5.9L) Cummins 12-valve Diesel I6 215hp 440lb/ft(manual), 180hp 420lb/ft(auto)
Rep:10
igortski is on a distinguished road
Default First truck, wana make it a good one

So im looking to buy me a work truck, this will be my first truck and am doing as much resurch as I can before I make a perches. I have a few needs with the truck, first of all diesel, has to be able to pull tow a trailer, and when its not at work and im home in ontario I want to convert it to veggy fuel( we can talk about that all in a separate comment). So it has to be reliable, i dont want it to be a money pit for me. A hard working work horse is what im looking for, not a dyno monster.

All the guys at work have told me once or more that the second gen cummins 12v are indestructible, having heard that I went online and found me a nice one in good shape, but since im not that well versed in trucks I could really use some advice, is this guy asking to much for his 97?

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ432999887

Im looking to spend between 10-20g on the truck, I rather spend more right away and not have to do more repairs, but if this Ram is what everyone said it is then I cant go wrong, right? Any advice you guys can throw at me is greatly appreciated, maby even point me towards other company such as chevy which would be my next choice, and tell me what I should look for in a strong reliable diesel truck.

And yes I am a serious about doing a veggy fuel conversion later on at home, dont wana be riding around in that diesel guzzler and paying up the ass for it. Thanks again guys and nice to be on the forum.
Sponsored links
Old 12-20-2012, 10:37 PM
BULLYS PERFORMANCE

Vehicle: MOPAR
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:931
Bully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to behold

Welcome to the forumZ, if there is anything i can help you with let me know.

Thanks
Jeremiah
Discount Auto Performance

ALSO Feel free to PM us, OR post in our Vendor Section for quotes/questions/assistance!
Old 12-21-2012, 01:53 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:636
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

has this truck been serviced properly, oil, antifreeze, trans and dif fluid changed at the correct intervals. has the engine been chipped? you need to research which engine blocks had a block issue. one year had a cracking block issue, another year they were blowing freeze out plugs. you need to find out what years they were. pre 2004 models were not known for reliable trannies. you really need to do some research and have some one knowledgeable really go over this truck with you.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Quad Cab diesel
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:221
dodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura about

The 53 block as it is known, were known for cracking. They were put in trucks between 1999 and 2001. Most of them didn't crack, but some did.

The one you are looking at is before that date. That seems like a fair price for that truck if it is in good shape. Another good thing about the early trucks is they will run veggie oil much better than a later common rail Cummins.