DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires

Notices

Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires General discussion related to wheels and tires.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-16-2014, 11:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Sport 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Copperhead Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Copperhead Road is on a distinguished road
Default Looking for advice on winter tires and wheels

I have a 2013 Sport with the 20" wheels and I want to get some winter tires.

As I'd prefer to have a cheap set of winter rims, I'm hoping to get some 17" wheels and tires. I've searched around the forum, and I know I should look for a tire around 33" tall to keep the speedo etc. correct. Hopefully a tire size a little narrower than the stock Sport tires. I know I can search all over for which manufacturers make which winter tires in what sizes, but I'm hoping someone already knows a good combination that works.

What's a good 17" winter tire size that matches stock closely?

Will a basic 17" wheel fit on my 2013 Sport no problem? Is there any issue with width?

Any other cheap wheels to suggest? I'm not concerned with looks at all for the winter wheels.

Any other suggestions?

Anyone running Nokian Hakkapeliitta winter tires on their Ram with feedback to offer?
Sponsored links
Old 09-17-2014, 11:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Sport 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Copperhead Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Copperhead Road is on a distinguished road

Another question... would running tires of a standard 17" size (265/70/17 I believe... correct me if I'm wrong) instead of the 20" Sport tires mess things up noticeably in the computer? Is there a way to switch it without buying a programmer
Old 09-18-2014, 08:36 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Color: Black
Rep:117
Ranman will become famous soon enoughRanman will become famous soon enough

If you are going to buy rims and winter tires I would go down to 17 inch and find a cheap set of black steel rims. This way you have way more options on winter tires and typically they are cheaper. Personally I prefer 285-70-17 as they are close to your stock 20; overall height. As for the speedo it will be slightly off but nothing I would worry about.

MODS: Front window tint to match rear, Extang tri fold soft tonneau cover. Dee Zee running boards. Tinted tails and 3rd brake light. Blacked emblem and de-badged. Drop in K&N filter. 2.5 inch Hell Bent Steel leveling kit. Cabin air filter. Upper glove box. Magnaflow exhaust. Black bull bar with 20" Cree LED bar. Mickey Thompson 35x12.5x20 MTZ's
Old 09-18-2014, 09:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Chris4 is on a distinguished road

Last winter I bought a set of 17" plain steel rims with 265/70/17 dedicated snow tires on them with TPMS. I messed around for about a month trying to find a set up that was closer to the 275/60/20 stock ones, I looked at a couple different sizes for both 17 and 18 inch rims, but they were so uncommon it was hard to find snow tires for them, and when I did they weren't cheap. I ended up buying the Nokian Hakkapeliittas, however they weren't in stock, so the tire place put on the cheapest snow tires they had while I waited for the Nokians to arrive. Turns out the Nokians didn't arrive until the end of winter, so I ended up using the temporarys for a whole season. I now have brand new Nokians in the garage waiting for this winter . The ride was very similar to the stock wheels, the only difference I noticed was they were slightly louder than the summer tires, which is to be expected with a more aggressive tread, and also when i stepped into the truck it just seemed a tiny bit shorter than stock. I didn't notice any problems/changes with the computer or speedometer, but I'm sure it was off just a hair. I was extremely impressed with how well the truck handled in the snow with even the cheapest of snow tires. The traction control works wonders, and even trying to spin the tires in a snow covered parking lot was difficult with the TC engaged. It was a world of a difference compared to the crappy Goodyears. Hope this helps.

Cheers