DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-09-2012, 09:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram
Color: Blue/Gray
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
drb2005 is on a distinguished road
Default '05 HEMI stalling-NEED HELP

Hello Ram brothers and sisters. I am new to this forum and I have a question. I recently purchased a used 2005 Ram 1500 with a 5.7 HEMI. I am having a problem with the thing stalling as I come to a stop. I have had the truck back to the dealership and they can't seem to give me a straight answer. I have had the tranny filters replaced and computer updated, the two things the dealership THINKS was the problem. The engine stalls when I come to a complete stop after I have had the speed above 25 mph. It stalls at the exact time the vehicle comes to a stop. If I take my foot off the brake just before it stops, I can usually avoid a stall, but not always. Sometimes I have to tap the brakes to stop. If I'm cruising along at 10-15 MPH and stop, it doesn't stall. I have done so much research on this problem and I've only gotten "suggestions" as to what may be wrong. I am looking for anybody who has had this problem with their vehicle and has FOUND A SOLUTION. I haven't taken it back to the dealership in months because every time I do, they keep it for 2-3 days, do some tests, can't find an answer and give it back stating "it's fixed." I was wondering, is there a sensor in the brake system that may be sending a faulty signal to the computer causing it to stall? Again, I'm looking for people who have had this problem and have found a solution.
Sponsored links
Old 11-10-2012, 12:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Sounds to me like the torque converter isn't unlocking.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2004 Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Maroon
MorePower is on a distinguished road

I havent had this exact problem, but I do have a similar on going issue with mine as well. I have an 04' and every time I fill up my gas tank it will stall when I come to a stop. Even if I fill up and then just sit there and let it idol, after a minute or two it will fight to keep itself running and then eventually just stall. Other times it will just stall as im slowing down coming to a stop. The catch is, it only does it for the first few miles after I fill up, usually after 5-10 miles it wont do it again until I fill up again. Doesnt exactly sound like they are linked, but is a problem that the dealership and several other mechanics cant figure out.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:27 PM

RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorePower View Post
I havent had this exact problem, but I do have a similar on going issue with mine as well. I have an 04' and every time I fill up my gas tank it will stall when I come to a stop. Even if I fill up and then just sit there and let it idol, after a minute or two it will fight to keep itself running and then eventually just stall. Other times it will just stall as im slowing down coming to a stop. The catch is, it only does it for the first few miles after I fill up, usually after 5-10 miles it wont do it again until I fill up again. Doesnt exactly sound like they are linked, but is a problem that the dealership and several other mechanics cant figure out.
Your mechanics need to be looking at the EVAP system for something like a stuck open purge solenoid that allows excess fuel into the manifold.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2004 Ram
Color: Maroon
MorePower is on a distinguished road

If that were the case though wouldnt it be doing that all the time? It has only ever done it within the first 5-10 miles after filling up.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram
Color: Blue/Gray
drb2005 is on a distinguished road

RamTech- I started putting the truck into neutral as I'm coming to a stop and it does not stall or lose power. I assume, since the transmission is not engaged while in neutral, the torque converter wouldn't effect the engine and cause it to stall. Am I correct?
Old 11-18-2012, 08:46 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Color: Grey
cignadude is on a distinguished road

Same thing was happening to me occasionally but not every time. Replaced my torque converter with an aftermarket one and it hasn't happened since. Even if it doesn't fix your issue, the upgrade is well worth the money since the TC's on the 1500's aren't the best.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:26 AM

Vehicle: 2006 raqm 1500 trx4 hemi
Trim Level: trx4
Color: blue
Rep:20
09nitetrain is on a distinguished road

check your transmission fluid level, these dodge are fussy. even a qt low on tranny fluid they do what your describing. mine did, and also there is a spin on tranny filter in the transmission where they go bad cause a lack of fluid to the tq and putting them into lock up mode.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09nitetrain View Post
check your transmission fluid level, these dodge are fussy. even a qt low on tranny fluid they do what your describing. mine did, and also there is a spin on tranny filter in the transmission where they go bad cause a lack of fluid to the tq and putting them into lock up mode.

If you're referring to the bad batch of filters that got into some vehicles in 2006, they were causing delayed engagement issues.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi
Color: Silver
brenforr is on a distinguished road

I am having the same problem. It generally does it a stops, particularly on a down grade. My transmission is also slow to engage. Can the two problems be linked? I, too, have had it "fixed" a couple of times and I am getting frustrated. If you find a solution, let know. And good luck.