DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires

Notices

Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires General discussion related to wheels and tires.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-23-2012, 04:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram 1500 sport
Trim Level: Hemi sport
Color: Blue
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
jmlea0 is on a distinguished road
Default Need some wheel and psi advice?

I am currently running a 37x12.5x20 nitto trail grappler on kmc xd misfit wheels in black.

Truck 2011 dodge ram 1500 sport 4x4 hemi

What psi are you guys running in these tires? The tire is rating e and the door says 35 psi. but the tire says 65 psi.

Also what are you guys using for wheel polish on these matte black kmc wheels?
they always seem dull.

Lastly what kind of paint are you guys using to spray your frame, suspension, and driveshaft etc. parts to match factory black frame color?

Thanks for any info and merry Christmas!
Sponsored links
Old 12-23-2012, 05:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

The tire rating PSI should never be used
it is more or less telling you what the Highest weight load that the tire can possibly carry safely & what pressure it would need to have in it to carry that load

A tire's maximum inflation pressure is the highest "cold" inflation pressure that the tire is designed to contain. However the tire's maximum inflation pressure should only be used when called for on the vehicle's tire placard or in the vehicle's owners manual.

The PSI placard on the door is for the original size tire that comes factory stock

also remember that a given PSI, in a unladen tire, say 35 PSI, pounds per square inch, is the same pressure in a wheel barrow tire as it is in a pickup tire
So you may have to adjust the PSI to haul heavier loads, then lower the pressure after that heavier load is removed
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 12-23-2012, 06:47 PM

Ok well i have them at 40 right now. Do you think that is good? I don't tow at all. The truck really just sits in driveway and gets driven for fun.lol
Old 12-23-2012, 07:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

40 PSI should be fine
Hopefully someone else that has that size Ram & tire size, will have more insight
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 12-24-2012, 04:40 AM

Vehicle: 2007 RAM
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:64
NWRQC will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlea0 View Post
I am currently running a 37x12.5x20 nitto trail grappler on kmc xd misfit wheels in black.

Truck 2011 dodge ram 1500 sport 4x4 hemi

What psi are you guys running in these tires? The tire is rating e and the door says 35 psi. but the tire says 65 psi. GT summed it up for you. You are comparing max tire pressure (tire) to the manufacture recommended tire pressure for the weight of your truck. I would start at the manufactures recommended tire pressure, then move up/down from there. You shouldn't need to deviate from the placard much more than a few psi, the larger tires require more volume, not psi.

Also what are you guys using for wheel polish on these matte black kmc wheels?
they always seem dull.
I'm confused! You have wheels with a matte finish, but they are dull and you want to polish them????? Sounds like you should have bought a wheel with a gloss finish if you wanted that. Soap and water is all you want to use on a matte finish.
Lastly what kind of paint are you guys using to spray your frame, suspension, and driveshaft etc. parts to match factory black frame color?
I suppose you could pick up the factory matched duplicolor paint in a can, but that will get pretty spendy. IMO unless you are wanting to add some rust prohibiting paint I would just leave the factory paint/finish. I think that it will be a lot of work to keep the paint up on the underside. I think it's going to chip, fade and crack pretty easily.

On that note I have used KRYLON Rust Tough Hamm-R paint on some atv parts before and really liked the outcome.

Thanks for any info and merry Christmas!
Hope this helps some. Merry Christmas to you too.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:54 AM

Thanks man. I do like the matte finish wheels. I have just noticed a dull somewhat white color to them if that makes any sense.lol. My next summer set will probably be a 38" with 22" gloss wheels! thanks again
Old 12-25-2012, 03:56 AM

Vehicle: 2007 RAM
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:64
NWRQC will become famous soon enough

I think I know what you are talking about, so that makes sense.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:25 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:13
CRANKYPISTOL is on a distinguished road

I have 35"s and work for Goodyear. With no towing , I run 40-45psi. Towing I will go to 55-60 in the rears only. Just found that is best.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:52 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express RC
Color: Black Express Package
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:62
RyanJM will become famous soon enough

I have always run between 40 and 45 psi in my tires. Good balance of towing, handling with still being sift enough for a decent ride

2014 Black Express, 4.5" Maxtrac lift, Ballistic Razorback's 20x9, 35x12.5 Federal Cougaria MT's, DeeZee tailgate assist, K&N drop in filter, magnaflow 16" welded in, Diablo Trinity, 20% tint on the front and 5% on the rear glass, AVS Smoked Aeroskin, HID 3000k fogs, 6000k HID's in the projectors.