DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-17-2012, 11:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Red
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:12
FireWire is on a distinguished road
Default not sure if my 4WD working

I don't go off road much with my truck. I bought 4WD for winter driving.
Every month or so, I put my truck in 4WD to "exercise" it for a few kilometres.
I do it when the roads are wet.
The other day I did this but forgot to put it back into 2WD.
I was driving the truck on dry pavement in 4WD, not the AUTO position. I drove the 20 kms to work before I realized my oversight. The truck did not do the front wheel grab and slip thing that any other 4X4s do I have driven.
I went to a parking lot and tried some tight turns and no front tire grab/slip.
I also tried in 4Low and same thing.
This makes me think 4WD not working.
The snow will be here soon enough so I want to be sure.
Sponsored links
Old 09-18-2012, 12:47 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Tight locked turns under very low speed should be VERY noticably different with 4X4 engaged as opposed to 2X4. The grab,go,grab,go sequence should be clearly evident.

The wet grass trick always works for me as is a sure sign. Accelerate from a standstill on wet grass WITHOUT 4X4 engaged; then try it with 4X4 engaged. There will be a HUGE difference is acceleration abilities, or lackthereof, from one mode to another.

The 100-percent method? Jack it up.

Good luck.

Grub out!
Old 09-18-2012, 09:03 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 2500 Megacab Cummins
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:25
llsht14 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireWire View Post
I don't go off road much with my truck. I bought 4WD for winter driving.
Every month or so, I put my truck in 4WD to "exercise" it for a few kilometres.
I do it when the roads are wet.
The other day I did this but forgot to put it back into 2WD.
I was driving the truck on dry pavement in 4WD, not the AUTO position. I drove the 20 kms to work before I realized my oversight. The truck did not do the front wheel grab and slip thing that any other 4X4s do I have driven.
I went to a parking lot and tried some tight turns and no front tire grab/slip.
I also tried in 4Low and same thing.
This makes me think 4WD not working.
The snow will be here soon enough so I want to be sure.
My truck hasent done the grap/slip on dry pavement since it was brand new, so i think its the crappy 4wd in these things to make it more idiot proof

Sold--- 2011 Ram 1500 Sport
Old 09-18-2012, 09:40 AM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2463
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, the system works great and you can definitely tell when 4WD is engaged (and when it is not). In 4wd auto there is no single rear wheel spin pulling off the line cause the front wheels grab as well. If you are not feeling this then something is wrong, have the dealer check it out.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:19 PM

It was raining this morning, so I tried some launches ( with TC off ) In 2WD truck sits and spins. I put it in 4 Auto or 4 Lock and it takes off. When I do a full lock turn with either setting still no "Crow Hop" ( I got this term from Jeep website )
It seems like Auto and Lock are the same. I would like 4 Lock to work as it is supposed to when going through deep snow.
With my new work truck ( 2012 Silverado 3500 HD ) you can definately tell when in 4WD. It was the same with my old F350 work truck.

Last edited by FireWire; 09-18-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:23 PM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1178
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

4wd Auto and 4wd Lock are, in essence, the same thing. Only difference is the Auto engages automatically when needed. In wet weather I run this setting. Its just like having AWD (for the most part).

Where it does differ is it will crow hop in tight cornering in 4WD Auto, just not nearly as bad. The manual states that 4wd auto is fine for everyday driving in bad weather.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Old 09-19-2012, 06:12 AM

Thank's everyone, but I'm still don't have the answer.
As my vehicle doesn't crow hop in either setting, I'm wondering is it is actually going into 4Lock with the front axles engaged all the time or it is still working the same as 4Auto with the front axles engaging only when the rear wheels lose traction.
How could I test this?
The manual says 4Lock is better than Auto when going through a lot of deep snow/mud when the conditions don't change frequently.
So I want to be sure it works.

Last edited by FireWire; 09-19-2012 at 06:16 AM.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:59 AM

Vehicle: 2012 2500 Mega 4x4 Laramie
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:73
Bikenut will become famous soon enough

go do some launches in grass or dirt as already suggested. Try 2wd first, then switch and you'll see the difference

Retro-Soutions 55W HIDs - Firestone 5K Airbags -
18" Magnaflow - integrated electric tailgate lock and EZ-Down kit - Cabin air filter retrofit - $79 Catch Can - KORE leveling kit and Bilsteins front and rear
Old 09-19-2012, 08:12 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram Sport crew cab
Color: Blue streak pearl
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:80
JMS4218 will become famous soon enough

I have a 2012 Ram and when I purchased mine I noticed the same thing. I was told my friend at the dealership that this normal. he explained it to me that in 4 lock the dif is locked but to avoid the crow hop as it is being called there are clutches that release when there is tension in the driveline. When you accelerate and need power it locks. I tried this in a field and the 4x4 system worked like it should. 4 auto engages the diff when the rear wheels spin.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:48 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4
Color: Deep Water Blue
Rep:10
herc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS4218 View Post
I have a 2012 Ram and when I purchased mine I noticed the same thing. I was told my friend at the dealership that this normal. he explained it to me that in 4 lock the dif is locked but to avoid the crow hop as it is being called there are clutches that release when there is tension in the driveline. When you accelerate and need power it locks. I tried this in a field and the 4x4 system worked like it should. 4 auto engages the diff when the rear wheels spin.
I don't think I buy that. Our transfer cases (with AUTO) are pretty much the same unit, I think, in GMs, and I've heard from plenty of others that they definitely feel it when locked.

Mine, on the other hand, seems to work the same as yours (FireWire's), and I suspect that there's something wrong with the transfer case that's preventing the lock from occurring. It was pretty evident last winter as well in the snow. The AUTO did work great, but it was exactly the same as 4HI. In BOTH cases, there was noticeable slip from the rear BEFORE the fronts would grab. The real obvious case was backing up a slight incline in snow. That definitely SHOULD NOT HAPPEN if the TC is locked.

The last time I was in for an oil change, one of the service reps at my dealer took it out in the parking lot, and agreed that it should be WAY more noticeable on dry pavement during any significant turn. I can go lock to lock and feel nothing. I'm due for another OC, so I was going to have them look at it then, but I'd definitely like to hear if you find anything more out about it.