DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-27-2012, 09:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2000 dodge ram sport
Color: white
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
jaredtowne is on a distinguished road
Default Backfired, stalled, now nothing....

What a day with this truck....

Had to drive wife to doctors appoint in the truck since the weather was so bad, had a major dump of snow so the roads were horrible..

On the way... about halfway there, a too familiar thing happened, clunk, grind,,, loss of brakes.. yay wheel bearing...

Thank god I broke down infront of one of the coolest old guys i've ever met.. had a lift in his garage and every tool imaginable.. Which was a nice break since last time I changed the wheel bearing was in a gas station parking lot..

His wife drove my old lady down to advanced auto to pick up the wheel bearing (still under warranty so was replaced for free)

By the time they got back it was ready to throw together, and in about 45 minutes I was rolling again..

Made the appt, did some running around, then headed home..

Roads .. very snowy, salty, sandy..

Truck is running fine.. All of a sudden backfires out of the exhaust , struggles to stay running, backfires a couple more times out of the exhaust., then died.

threw the 4 ways on.. popped the hood, checked what I could on the side of a snow covered road in the dark.. listened for the fuel pump -- kicking on and running, poked and prodded.. nothing obvious I see.. crank and crank.. nothing.. a meager MEAGER studder, doesnt even want to try to run.

Crank and prod for a few more minutes.. battery getting weak.. wife freaking out.. truck getting COLD..

Called in for backup.. While waiting for him, realized it was useless doing anything tonight.. had him run us home, and called a wrecker to go pick my truck up.

At a loss here now folks.. I know how to work on stuff, mechanically inclined as the next shadetree redneck. But when it comes to electrical and diagnosing these types of issues,, I am stabbing in the dark.

I depressed the shrader on the fuel rail,,, squirt.. No fuel pressure tester.. From what I DO know about the dodges.. usually the pump either works or doesnt. Can clearly hear it kick on.

No dummy lights on., except low wash .

Wrecker told me something most likely got wet with all the salt they have been pounding on the roads.

I did notice the other day it gave me a small backfire out the exhaust (has never done this any other time)

Maybe something was dieing then finally gave out? but what?

Just some first things to check and rule out, advice, whatever.. Its too cold and dark to fool with.. figured i'd get some ideas rolling before I go making it worse or chasing my tail.

thanks guys.
Sponsored links
Old 12-27-2012, 11:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredtowne View Post
What a day with this truck....

Had to drive wife to doctors appoint in the truck since the weather was so bad, had a major dump of snow so the roads were horrible..

On the way... about halfway there, a too familiar thing happened, clunk, grind,,, loss of brakes.. yay wheel bearing...

Thank god I broke down infront of one of the coolest old guys i've ever met.. had a lift in his garage and every tool imaginable.. Which was a nice break since last time I changed the wheel bearing was in a gas station parking lot..

His wife drove my old lady down to advanced auto to pick up the wheel bearing (still under warranty so was replaced for free)

By the time they got back it was ready to throw together, and in about 45 minutes I was rolling again..

Made the appt, did some running around, then headed home..

Roads .. very snowy, salty, sandy..

Truck is running fine.. All of a sudden backfires out of the exhaust , struggles to stay running, backfires a couple more times out of the exhaust., then died.

threw the 4 ways on.. popped the hood, checked what I could on the side of a snow covered road in the dark.. listened for the fuel pump -- kicking on and running, poked and prodded.. nothing obvious I see.. crank and crank.. nothing.. a meager MEAGER studder, doesnt even want to try to run.

Crank and prod for a few more minutes.. battery getting weak.. wife freaking out.. truck getting COLD..

Called in for backup.. While waiting for him, realized it was useless doing anything tonight.. had him run us home, and called a wrecker to go pick my truck up.

At a loss here now folks.. I know how to work on stuff, mechanically inclined as the next shadetree redneck. But when it comes to electrical and diagnosing these types of issues,, I am stabbing in the dark.

I depressed the shrader on the fuel rail,,, squirt.. No fuel pressure tester.. From what I DO know about the dodges.. usually the pump either works or doesnt. Can clearly hear it kick on.

No dummy lights on., except low wash .

Wrecker told me something most likely got wet with all the salt they have been pounding on the roads.

I did notice the other day it gave me a small backfire out the exhaust (has never done this any other time)

Maybe something was dieing then finally gave out? but what?

Just some first things to check and rule out, advice, whatever.. Its too cold and dark to fool with.. figured i'd get some ideas rolling before I go making it worse or chasing my tail.

thanks guys.
Sounds like a fuel pressure issue for sure, all the symptoms. The pressure is probably very low but still enough for a little squirty. Anyways get a fuel pressure tester, borrow one from the auto parts store. The pressure should be very close to 43.5PSI. I will just say make sure it's higher than 40PSI and lower that 45PSI.

You did get lucky with that wheel bearing!

Oh if you do need a new fuel pump I recommend highflowfuel.com the pumps there are very inexpensive and are E85 ready. I have bought a pump from them and been running a year now no problem, recommended that company to another ramforumz member they looked high and low for a pump and HFF proved to be the least expensive and the best warranty.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Hey, thanks for the reply.. I got a chance to mess around with it a little today.

I phoned the local auto stores, none of them locally willing to loan me a pressure tester, closest "chain" is 45 minute drive to autozone. Figured i'd do what I could.

I removed the air cleaner and poured some fuel directly into the throttle body.
cranked, and cranked.. nothing.. not even a sputter .

That result there kind of leans me away from a fuel delivery issue..

Assuming everything else is right, it should of atleast burnt off the fuel I dumped in.. Or is that wrong?

Now I don't even know where to start, I was really hoping it was just the pump. The alternatives number greatly...

I pulled a plug cap off, stuck a screwdriver in it and laid it on the header and cranked it over. I did see an arc.

Thats about as far as I got , really bummed out and not sure what to look at.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:08 PM

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredtowne View Post
Hey, thanks for the reply.. I got a chance to mess around with it a little today.

I phoned the local auto stores, none of them locally willing to loan me a pressure tester, closest "chain" is 45 minute drive to autozone. Figured i'd do what I could.

I removed the air cleaner and poured some fuel directly into the throttle body.
cranked, and cranked.. nothing.. not even a sputter .

That result there kind of leans me away from a fuel delivery issue..

Assuming everything else is right, it should of atleast burnt off the fuel I dumped in.. Or is that wrong?

Now I don't even know where to start, I was really hoping it was just the pump. The alternatives number greatly...

I pulled a plug cap off, stuck a screwdriver in it and laid it on the header and cranked it over. I did see an arc.

Thats about as far as I got , really bummed out and not sure what to look at.
You cannot just pour fuel in there, it has to be sprayed in while cranking. If you get an arc then it's most likely fuel delivery, now it can still be ignition maybe the distributor has moved out of place. But from experience with issues like this it will likely be the pump, you are going to have to try and find a fuel pressure gauge somewhere, if there is a harbor freight nearby they have them for like 20 bucks.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:24 PM

Vehicle: 95 & 98 1500 Ram 4x4s
Trim Level: SLT & Sport
Color: 1 Blk,1 Red
Rep:36
Screamintrashcan is on a distinguished road

I am completely disgusted every time I think about having to take a distributor cap off of one of these trucks, but I'd guess that if you have thumped the bottom of your fuel tank and haven't gotten any joy, and your roads are bad, the next step would be a cap removal and inspection/replacement. OR wd 40 on a rag and a good wipedown of your coil and plug wires. You describe what sounds like wet / cracked cap or leaky wires, in salt water rinse (read that as uncontrolled electrons making their own paths in conductive salt water juice) I repeat, I feel for you, I despise working on these distributors, but it's my best guess.Wiggling the electric plug ins related to the coil and distributor may bring joy, but I suspect cap / rotor replacement is called for. Good Luck!
Old 12-29-2012, 11:47 PM

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: WS
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:103
panhead will become famous soon enoughpanhead will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamintrashcan View Post
I am completely disgusted every time I think about having to take a distributor cap off of one of these trucks, but I'd guess that if you have thumped the bottom of your fuel tank and haven't gotten any joy, and your roads are bad, the next step would be a cap removal and inspection/replacement. OR wd 40 on a rag and a good wipedown of your coil and plug wires. You describe what sounds like wet / cracked cap or leaky wires, in salt water rinse (read that as uncontrolled electrons making their own paths in conductive salt water juice) I repeat, I feel for you, I despise working on these distributors, but it's my best guess.Wiggling the electric plug ins related to the coil and distributor may bring joy, but I suspect cap / rotor replacement is called for. Good Luck!
.......................+1

I am completely disgusted every time I think about having to take a distributor cap off of one of these trucks -Screamintrashcan
Old 12-31-2012, 05:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

alright folks, had a guy from local garage come check my fuel pressure.. fine.

replace dist cap and rotor.

Still nothing..

Pulled a couple plugs.. wet, smell like fresh fuel.

Pulled wire from coil and stuck a spare plug in it, laid on header.. good strong arc.

at a loss here..
Old 12-31-2012, 05:23 PM

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: WS
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:103
panhead will become famous soon enoughpanhead will become famous soon enough

jaredtowne, post a list of parts you have replaced.

I am completely disgusted every time I think about having to take a distributor cap off of one of these trucks -Screamintrashcan
Old 12-31-2012, 05:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

summed up story;

Backfired, stalled... cranks but no fire (happened out of nowhere)

-inspected all relevant connections I can see, sprayed down with PB to displace any moisture

-had fuel pressure test

-pulled plugs - wet - smell like fresh fuel

-replaced dist cap + rotor (after fighting like hell with weak 7mm bolts)

-plugs and wires were replaced approx 30k ago.

-half tank of fuel in truck, tried fresh high grade straight into throttle body (nothing)

-made sure rotor was turning.. it indeed is

at this point, motor cranks, but will NOT fire,, not even pop or studder.

with key turned to run . no lights on dash.

Last edited by jaredtowne; 12-31-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 09 Hemi Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Deep Water Blue
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:13
2RAMSAM is on a distinguished road

My thought is it needs a coil.