DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-28-2012, 02:40 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: RAM
Rep:33
Copperhead Ram is on a distinguished road
Default 6-speed vs 8-speed

I'm looking for a good comparison between the two transmissions. There must be some people on this forum with the new 8-speed, so how is it? Is it worth getting? Any issues with it?

Thanks!
Sponsored links
Old 12-28-2012, 05:17 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: Sport Crewcab
Color: True Blue Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:248
LeftCoast has a spectacular aura aboutLeftCoast has a spectacular aura aboutLeftCoast has a spectacular aura about

For 1 it's a true 8 speed vs the 4 speed with 2 overdrives...that alone would be worth the upgrade to me.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:29 PM

Vehicle: RAM
Rep:33
Copperhead Ram is on a distinguished road

At first, I wasn't going to wait for the new 8-speed. But now that they keep pushing back my truck order due to late availability options (copperhead paint and uconnect 5.0), I may as well just add the 8-speed option at this point.

My only hesitation is I'm not sure of the quality or reliability compared to the current transmission.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2597
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

the only time that the current transmission was good is when they started using it in the 1999 Jeep soccer mom version,

The 45RFE was introduced in the Jeep Grand Cherokee in 1999, it is notable for including three planetary gearsets rather than the two normally used in a 4-speed automatic

In 545RFE usage, an extra taller overdrive ratio is also used. Chrysler decided to refer to it as a "multi-speed automatic".

2012 model year, the 545RFE was recalibrated and introduced as the 65RFE in 1500 Ram models. With the exception of an improved torque converter, it is physically the same as its predecessor. The key difference in the 65RFE is the ability to use all six forward gears in sequence when using Electronic Range Select mode. In normal drive mode, however, the 65RFE uses the shift pattern of the 545RFE; thus never using 2nd and 3rd gears in succession

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The last Good automatic transmission made for Chryslers was the 727 Torqueflite, drag racers are still using it

That is one of the reasons that this new to Chrysler, ZF 8 speed automatic will be called the Torqueflite 8

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/ZF8.html
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 12-28-2012, 02:00 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
The key difference in the 65RFE is the ability to use all six forward gears in sequence when using Electronic Range Select mode.
Not sure why this keeps coming up. The 545rfe acts in the same way. They are the same, other than the torque converter and I believe the valve body changed in some way(although it has not effect that you or I would see or notice). It shifts the same whether in D, T/H, or ERS mode.

The downfall to the 545rfe/65rfe is the poor spread of ratios. It is a 6 speed with really only 5 use able gears that you can benefit from in sequential upshifting. The new 8 speed has 8 gears that are relatively evenly spread.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:04 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport 4x4
Rep:14
kev12345 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead Ram View Post
My only hesitation is I'm not sure of the quality or reliability compared to the current transmission.
It couldn't possibly be worse. Wait for the new tranni. I'm very surprised by the amount of people too impatient to wait. They settle for an outdated 15 year old peice of tech in a $40,000 vehicle...
Old 12-28-2012, 04:27 PM

Vehicle: 13 1500 Laramie Crew 6'4
Trim Level: Laramie 8Speed 4x4
Color: True Pearl Blue
Rep:68
Cookie Monster will become famous soon enough

The ZF 8 speed automatic is widely used in other vehicle such as BMW, Audi, Bently and few others. Chrysler's Torqueflite 8 is basically a Chrysler built ZF 8 Speed Automatic. Chrylser got the licence to build the ZF 8 Speed Automatic Transmission from ZF and built a plant to build the Torqueflite 8. From what I read is for Chrysler to get such Licencing they need to comply with alot of strict guidelines on how it is built as well as on strict quality materials and quality control. ZF reputation is on the line and they accepted the Licencing to buid it only with very Strict conditions.

The ZF 8 Speed Automatic Transmission is not a new design and has been proven with great success.

IMO its definitly worth the wait and unless your desperate and need a truck ASAP wait it out.

Last edited by Cookie Monster; 12-28-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:30 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Laramie CC 4x4 8spd 3.92
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White w/ Blk interior
Rep:69
Driver72 will become famous soon enough

My biggest thing about the 8 speed is the dial on the dash.
I know it "clears up room on the console and floor" but man, first the death of manuals and the connection a driver has with a vehicle, and now they are removing the place to put your right hand and even when driving an automatic, I still like the feeling of "shifting" the gears in the auto, even if it's just going from Park to Drive and from Drive to Reverse, etc.
Turning a knob, just makes it more video game like. One more thing they have managed to remove from feeling like you are involved with the car.

I don't understand why they wouldn't offer a floor mounted shifter version?
Old 12-30-2012, 05:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4x4 cc
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Maximum Steel
Rep:10
OAG18 is on a distinguished road

My last two trucks were column shift. So I am never manually shifting gears, just put it in drive and go, and don't rest my hand on it. I don't think the dial will be that hard to get used to. I have my Mustang when I need my hand on a shifter anyway. HAHA
Old 12-30-2012, 08:47 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport 4x4
Rep:14
kev12345 is on a distinguished road

i'm assuming the 8 spd will be better geared for city driving. that's what i'm counting on anyway...