DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > V6 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-28-2012, 03:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 ram 1500
Engine: 1994-2001 239ci (3.9L) Magnum V6 175hp
Rep:10
christianchild is on a distinguished road
Default Truck's been sitting 2yrs.

Hello all, I just bought a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 V6 3.9L about 2 weeks ago from a Heating and Cooling company who were upgrading their vehicles recently. While talking to the HVAC company mechanic, he stated these trucks never missed an oil change, but were taken out of service once they reached 100k miles. Needless to say my new truck has been sitting in the Arizona sun for 2yrs with only being started and moved probably once every 3 months he stated. After clearing the thick spider web's, knocking down a couple of bumble bee hives and removing a scorpion or two from the inside, the first thing I did, since this truck was 1hr from home was put in some gasoline stabilizer and tried to cranked her over. She didn't respond at all. I drove my "car" to Sams Club and bought a new battery with a three year warranty, brought it back to my new truck, placed it in and she cranked right over. To my Surprise she didn't sputter, she idled perfectly as if it was being driven on a daily basis. I then drove it to get 4 new Tires from Discount Tire. $700 later, I have it here at home and I'm here on the greatest website for Rams www.ramforumz.com looking for some insight. I'm here because making mistakes is not in my budget, and I don't want to mess this truck up for being ignorant to how to care for ladies of such high quality. I'm pretty sure there have been many mistakes made by many here on the forum. I really want to know, what should I check next? What would yall do next? What to invest in? My wife gave me (Ugggggg Mmmmmm) I mean I HAVE A budget of $1000 to put into the truck. lol... I've talked to my older brother who told me to change the oil immediately, change the fuel pump, fuel filter, he stated to stay away aftermarket stuff to the engine besides from getting a K&N Air Filter. He told me to go to the Dodge dealership to get the original oil filters and to stay away from Fram and other brands.

Thanks in advance everyone for helping me save some money and time overall. All advice is welcome and well appreciated. Many Blessings and thank you all for taking the time out of yall's busy day to read this message and to help this Newby.
Sponsored links
Old 12-28-2012, 04:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

While I'm sure your brother means well, he's a bit misguided. The fuel filter which is integral to the pump assembly only needs changing if the pressure and volume are low. If you had this problem, believe me, you'd know it. I recommend a Mopar, Wix, Purolater or K&N oil filter along with pretty much any oil short of Quaker State or Pennzoil.I do agree with him about staying away from Fram oil filters. I would also recommend servicing the cooling system, transmission and rear end. Brake fluid and power steering fluid flushes may not be a bad idea either, given the mileage on the truck.

Get the steering and suspension checked out by a competent mechanic. Other than that, I would just keep an eye out for anything you see during your daily drives that might need attention.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks for the feedback RamTech, are you saying that I don't need to change the fuel pump? Because since its been sitting for so long, wouldn't the fuel pump start pumping that old stuff throughout the engine system?
Old 12-28-2012, 06:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Also, by being in such high temperatures here in Arizona where the average in the summer is 105 Fahrenheit, what weight of oil could you recommend? And is Mobile a good brand to go with would you say? Should I go with a high mileage oil?