DODGE RAM FORUM banner

I need (want) new tires...

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Matt336 
#1 ·
Hey! I have a 2008 Big Horn and I'm looking to get new tires. I like the look of mud terrain tires although I don't do much offroading, but I'm leaning toward all terrains that will handle better in the rain. I have two small kids so I don't want to be sliding all over the road in the rain. I should also say that I'm planning on getting a 2.5" leveling kit and throwing 35's on. Any tire recommendations? Thanks!

#2 ·
You probably won't be 'sliding' around in the rain with mud terrains, but you're right AT's are generally better for wet weather. My Toyo Open Country AT's work great in the rain and pretty good in the snow. Haven't owned a pair of BFG AT KO's since my old '99 Tacoma but from what i remember they're comparable to the Toyo's. Can't go wrong with either in my opinion, though they're both a little pricey.

#5 ·
I run Destination A/T's and love them. Put them on in October and they have been great in rain, now snow and are damn quiet on the highway for a a/t tire. Did a lot of research and couldn't find any bad reviews and the price was way better than the other tires I looked at. The other tire I was going to get was the BFG Rugged Terrain but they didn't come with OWL. They also get great reviews

#6 ·
Someone else mentioned them already but the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac is an A/T tire that really looks a lot like an M/T tire. They are pricey though. There are a lot of good A/T tires out there but my two favs are the Cooper Zeon LTZ and the Nitto Terra Grappler. I am running the Coopers right now and love them but the Terras are a tad cheaper and are available in more sizes. Speaking of sizes, you are going to need 1/4" spacers to fit 35s on your stock rims even with the level. Also, not sure what you have in mind for the level but you can't beat the Bilstein 5100s.

I have an '04 1500 with a 2 1/2" leveling kit and I just put 295/65R20 Nitto Terra Grapplers on it. I must say, these tires are as big as I could go and very quiet. Well worth the $$ imho.
Did you mean 295/60/20 Terra Grapplers or 295/65/20 Trail Grapplers? To the best of my knowledge Nitto doesn't make the Terras in 295/65. Either way, could you post some pics? I am thinking about something similar for my 2004. Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.