DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-31-2012, 06:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Base
Color: White
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
318Dave is on a distinguished road
Default Hi flow, how know

Maybe some seasoned techs can chime in but I'm a bit puzzled. As I read much here and another popular Ram forum, I'm drilling down on replacing my Ram exhaust. Nothing exotic mind you, just a new cat and free flowing muffler.

As I read and read and read you hear them saying..."oh, I'm getting this muffler and a magnaflow hi-flow cat". Ok, I'll bite...where can you tell on the Magnaflow site that it's a hi-flow cat?? Is it the 49 state HM? Is it the cell count and if so, where do they state that? Did I miss it? If I did, sorry for this post.

I think I have put together that the OEM cat is typically high in cell count such as 700 and the Magnaflow HM is 400. So I assume that means "hi-flow"? Thanks for any input...just tryin to nail this down.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:44 PM
BULLYS PERFORMANCE

Vehicle: MOPAR
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:931
Bully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to behold

You are going to want 1 of these two

1998 8 5.2L DIRECT FIT CATALYTIC CONVERTER 23285= $215
1998 8 5.2L UNIVERSAL CATALYTIC CONVERTER 99067HM= $140

Let me know if interested id be more than happy to get them loaded into our website for you Free Shipping always.

23285 and 99067 are both performance cats and are not oe grade here is some infor on OE grade you might be interested in.

OEM Grade converters are specially formulated with a heavier wash coat and loaded with twice the amount of precious metals (platinum, palladium, rhodium) to provide a much stronger coverage.

OEM Grade is recommended for vehicles that have:

High Mileage
History of Check Engine Lights
Gross Polluters
California Emissions Equipment Outside of California

Please refer to your emissions tag located on the underside of the hood.

Neither one of the two performance cats above are OE grade and have less metals and are hi flow.

Thanks
Jeremiah
Discount Auto Performance

ALSO Feel free to PM us, OR post in our Vendor Section for quotes/questions/assistance!
Old 12-31-2012, 08:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Hey thank you Jeremiah.

Ok, so would you know how many cells per inch are across the surface of the substrate? Or how many grams of precious metal wash coat is baked into the substrate of their cats? I'm thinking of going with a cat that is OBD II compliant 300 cell and I believe the Magnaflow is 400 per inch.

Hey, since you sell Magnaflow. Shot in the dark here...might you know the center to center on the 2 inch side
Magnaflow Y pipe #10748

Last edited by 318Dave; 12-31-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:41 PM
BULLYS PERFORMANCE

Bully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 318Dave View Post
Hey thank you Jeremiah.

Ok, so would you know how many cells per inch are across the surface of the substrate? Or how many grams of precious metal wash coat is baked into the substrate of their cats? I'm thinking of going with a cat that is OBD II compliant 300 cell and I believe the Magnaflow is 400 per inch.

Hey, since you sell Magnaflow. Shot in the dark here...might you know the center to center on the 2 inch side
Magnaflow Y pipe #10748
I am not sure on the cell count i will see what i can find out for you in the morning, as far as the ypipes go this is all the information i have on the part number you provided.

"MagnaFlow's stamped Y-Pipe transitions are ideal if you are looking to design your exhaust for a single inlet, dual outlet set up. Made of stainless steel, these Y-Pipes offer a gentler radius that allows for better balance between cylinder banks and consistent flow in tight constrained areas. Available in several diameters and configurations including the regulary, 90 Degree inlet, and giant 4 Inch, our Y-Pipe transitions are also backed by a limited lifetime warranty.

Pipe Type: Y-Pipe
Includes Catalytic Converter: No
Material: Stainless Steel
Diameter (IN): Single 2-1/4 Inch To Dual 2 Inch
Includes Oxygen Sensor Bung: No
Includes Gaskets: No
Includes Hardware: No

Features
100 Percent Stainless Steel
Universal Y-Pipe Transition
Perfect For Custom Applications
Limited Lifetime Warranty"

Thanks
Jeremiah

ALSO Feel free to PM us, OR post in our Vendor Section for quotes/questions/assistance!
Old 12-31-2012, 09:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

"Diameter (IN): Single 2-1/4 Inch To Dual 2 Inch"

Oh? I thought the number I pulled was (IN) Dual 2 Inch to (Out) single 2 1/2 inch.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:32 PM
BULLYS PERFORMANCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 318Dave View Post
"Diameter (IN): Single 2-1/4 Inch To Dual 2 Inch"

Oh? I thought the number I pulled was (IN) Dual 2 Inch to (Out) single 2 1/2 inch.
it can work either way some will put it before the muffler some put it after the muffler to run duals if they dont have a dual out muffler, either way it can be
"dual 2" in" or "dual 2" out" kinda of confusing but when talking about y pipes sometimes its easier to just think of them as "dual 2", 1 2-1/4" Hope that clears up some confusion.

Thanks
Jeremiah