DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits All custom mods on the outside of your Dodge Ram. Custom Dodge Ram Body Kits, Custom Paint, Grilles, Camper Tops, Bed Liners, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-16-2012, 09:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Crew
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black/Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:147
TVL will become famous soon enoughTVL will become famous soon enough
Default Amp Research Power Step

Just installed my new Amp Research Powerstep! It took quite a while to do, but it is finally done... not without some angst and gnashing of teeth.

I have to give a shout out to Auto Anything! They were great. Got a nice discount from them and fast shipping. I have nothing but good to say about them.

My words about Amp Research (the manufacturer of the product) are mixed.

I have no complaints about the quality of the product. Very well made. Almost all the parts and components seem to be top quality.

I have two issues with the components. In my opinion, the templates should be rigid plastic or metal, not flimsy cardboard. The holes you have to drill through the pinch plate under the doors, need to be exact. The templates provided are not adequate. The other issue is the connection to the LED lights. In my opinion, butt connectors are named that because they suck ass. Very sloppy way of connecting wires...especially under a vehicle where water, salt and road grime is present. I know the instructions say to cover them with tape and plastic conduit, but using this type of connector is very unsecure (in my opinion). The kit has great connectors for tapping into the fusebox wires, I'm sure there is a similar connector available for this type of application, BETTER than a butt connector. I soldered the wires, then heat shrink tubing, tape and Plastic conduit.

The biggest issue I had was with missing parts. When the package arrived on Thursday, I immediately went through the parts list and matched it up with everything in the box. What I didn't check was that one of the pre-assembled control arms had two parts missing. By the time I discovered it, I was in the middle of the installation and it was Saturday afternoon. Of course when I called Amp Research, they were closed. Not that it mattered....they wouldn't have shipped the parts until Monday anyway. It was probably good that there were closed. My attitude at that point was not exactly Christian. Nothing more irritating than missing parts that you can't go buy anywhere locally after spending $1000 on a product.

Fortunately for me, I have a shop at work where I could go and make the part. What was missing was a 1/4 X 20 hex bolt(which I got at Home Depot) and a wedge shaped aluminum piece with a threaded hole (for the 1/4 X 20 hex bolt). I milled and cut the part from stock brass (pictured below).

Overall, I love the product on my truck! I like the clean look of no running boards, so this product was ideal for me. It works very well!

If you are considering buying this product, you need to be experienced and quite handy when it comes to modding your vehicle. I could handle the challenges....but at my age, after crawling around under my truck for several hours, I felt like I fell out of a tall tree and hit every branch on the way down!

Even after my complaints and issues, I still give this product 4.7 out of 5
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0655.JPG (34.9 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0656.JPG (35.1 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0657.JPG (41.1 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0658.JPG (36.4 KB, 70 views)

Hello, my name is Tim and I'm a modaholic.

MODS: 6" RCX Lift, 37"X12.5R20 Trail Grapplers on 20" Moto Metal 962 Black/silver rims, remote tailgate lock, Bakflip G2 tonneau cover, LineX spray-on bed liner, Amp Research Power Step, magnaflow 18" muffler, S&B CAI, Passenger Front Ejection seat, Diablosport Trinity1000 tuned with Hemifever 89 tune, Spyder Projector/HID 8000K/CCFL Halos/LEDs Headlights, Retroshop Projector/HID/8000K/CCFL Halo Fog Lights, Recon LED Smoked Tail Lights & LED Smoked 3rd Brake Light, fully stocked bar w/tap, BT Catch Can, Chrome & Black Mesh studded Grille, HID Reverse Light Kit, customized tailgate badge....more to come!
Sponsored links
Old 12-16-2012, 10:18 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Color: Deep water blue
Rep:401
Crash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really nice

Sorry to hear you had problems with missing parts, I would have been POed too. And I agree about the Butt conns I did the same as you,soldered shrink tube. I've had mine a couple of year now and still love them. Hope you do too. Your ride looks good!
Frt 20%tint,Line-x,Bak-Flip,El T/gate Lock,Box Lights,LED T/gate Bar,Bilsteins,Timbren SES,Chrome Bug Sheild,Putco Vent Visors,Amp Powersteps,HID Lows,Fogs,Volant Cai,Engine Cover Painted&Lit,B Pillar Tape Removed,Weather Tech Mats,Mopar Mud Flaps,Shorty Antenna,SRT 22s,Diablo Trinity
Old 12-17-2012, 09:32 PM
Conventional Eccentric

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Rep:220
highlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura about

They look great! How long was the install?

Disclaimer: I'm getting old and my opinions will reflect that fact!
Old 12-17-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlandchef View Post
They look great! How long was the install?
Total time was about 10 hours between 2 days. Keep in mind that I had to make a run to Home Depot for the missing bolt and drive down to work and spend an hour milling and drilling the missing wedge nut, About 30 minutes (total) swearing, 15 minutes or so wondering why I do this to myself, and some breaks for bread and water.

There definitely was a learning curve involved. The first side took much more time including the parts run and fabrication. The other side went quicker when I knew what to expect. The electrical was much easier!

MODS: 6" RCX Lift, 37"X12.5R20 Trail Grapplers on 20" Moto Metal 962 Black/silver rims, remote tailgate lock, Bakflip G2 tonneau cover, LineX spray-on bed liner, Amp Research Power Step, magnaflow 18" muffler, S&B CAI, Passenger Front Ejection seat, Diablosport Trinity1000 tuned with Hemifever 89 tune, Spyder Projector/HID 8000K/CCFL Halos/LEDs Headlights, Retroshop Projector/HID/8000K/CCFL Halo Fog Lights, Recon LED Smoked Tail Lights & LED Smoked 3rd Brake Light, fully stocked bar w/tap, BT Catch Can, Chrome & Black Mesh studded Grille, HID Reverse Light Kit, customized tailgate badge....more to come!
Old 12-17-2012, 11:01 PM
BULLYS PERFORMANCE

Vehicle: MOPAR
Rep:931
Bully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to behold

looks good congrats on your new steps the amp are in my opinion the best power steps out there.

Jeremiah
Discount Auto Performance

ALSO Feel free to PM us, OR post in our Vendor Section for quotes/questions/assistance!
July Blowout Sale! 10% over cost and free shipping on any and all in stock items!
Old 01-02-2013, 12:12 AM
Bully's Performance

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram CC 4X4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: PX8 Black
Rep:1769
fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

Your mods are becoming very similar to mine.....LOL
Nice setup
100% Guaranteed to work or we will replace it for free!
Old 01-02-2013, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastNugly View Post
Your mods are becoming very similar to mine.....LOL
Nice setup
Thanks! Great minds think alike!

One difference will be our headlights. They will be similar. I just ordered a set from pro tuning labs. They will be projectors and HID with halos and LEDS.
I also ordered from them a LED light bar for stop, signal, tail and reverse lighting.
After each thing I do, I always think I'm done. Then I find something else that I NEED! (like 4.56 gears!)

Old 01-02-2013, 09:09 AM

Vehicle: 2012 dodge ram
Trim Level: sport fully loaded
Color: charcoal grey
Rep:108
chadster21 will become famous soon enoughchadster21 will become famous soon enough

i had the same problem... missing parts... and they don't like the snowy slushy conditions...
Old 01-02-2013, 09:55 AM
Bully's Performance

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram CC 4X4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: PX8 Black
Rep:1769
fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvanleeuwen View Post
Thanks! Great minds think alike!

One difference will be our headlights. They will be similar. I just ordered a set from pro tuning labs. They will be projectors and HID with halos and LEDS.
I also ordered from them a LED light bar for stop, signal, tail and reverse lighting.
After each thing I do, I always think I'm done. Then I find something else that I NEED! (like 4.56 gears!)
Which headlights? They have so many to choose from.....LOL
As for the gears, you will greatly see an improvement in performance.
Not sure if you feel it sluggish, but if so, ALL that will go away
100% Guaranteed to work or we will replace it for free!
Old 01-02-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastNugly View Post
Which headlights? They have so many to choose from.....LOL
As for the gears, you will greatly see an improvement in performance.
Not sure if you feel it sluggish, but if so, ALL that will go away
Here are the headlights I ordered. They are the HID-PRO-YD-DR09-HL-BK
Attached Images
File Type: jpg headlights.jpg (17.9 KB, 12 views)