DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Body & Interior

Notices

Body & Interior 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Body & Interior Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-22-2012, 01:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
theoriginalone is on a distinguished road
Default How do you open/remove a tonneau cover?

I recently purchased a used 2009 short bed 2500. The previous owner installed a soft, snapless Mopar tonneau cover. The question is: How do you open or remove it? I can't figure it out.

Any feedback would be most appreciated.

Thanks.
Sponsored links
Old 12-22-2012, 02:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2589
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I found this on a diesel forum site .........

I have the mopar unit that's made with the fabric (vice the vinyl), but they're both the same. The cover itself is attached to the front rail that runs just behind the cap. The two side rails are clamped independently to the bed, and the rail that goes over the tailgate slides into the end of each of the side rails and has a thumbscrew on the inside that tightens the rear rail to the side rails. The rear rail is plenty stiff enough that it just "bridges" across the tailgate opening when you lower the gate. In other words, it's being supported on the ends by being slid into the side rails and resting on the tail end of the bed sides. The bottom of the rear rail has a lipped seal that the top of the tailgate rides against to seal out water. To remove, you peel back the tonneau, unscrew the thumbscrews on either side, and slide the rear rail out of the side rails.

There are 3 rails that clamp onto the bed (front and 2 sides). The tailgate rail sides into each side rail and is held in with a thumbscrew on either side. The cover is attached to the front rail and only attaches to the side and tailgate rails via the Jrail on the cover. There are only 3 bows that run across the bed and they slide into each of the side rails.

it may be like this cover
http://www.global-accessories.com/co...raTonneaus.pdf
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 12-22-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Rep:10
theoriginalone is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply. This is very helpful, however, before I attempt to remove the rails, how do I peel back the fabric cover?
Old 12-22-2012, 05:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 ram reg cab 4x4
Trim Level: st
Color: deep water blue pearl coat
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:14
daggertats is on a distinguished road

i think and dont quote me on the but on the back corners of your cover there is a short pull strap . i believe all you have to do is pull upward on this and it will free the corner of the cover. i think that cover is a zip rail system. theres a rubber piece that presses down into the metal rails. once the corner is loose you should be able to just pull the cover out of the rails by tugging it upwards
Old 12-23-2012, 08:26 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Sport Reg Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport Reg Cab
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Rep:178
rdsabin has a spectacular aura aboutrdsabin has a spectacular aura about

Open your tailgate and look under the cover in each corner, you should find a locking mechanism. Trip that and just roll the cover back. Keep in mind both sides have a locking mechanism. When you go to close the cover it is just a reverse of the operation with you usually pushing down on the end to secure in place. Some actually require you to manually engage the lock. I hope this is what you were looking for.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:05 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Sport 4x4
Color: Flame Red
Rep:99
Ram Nut will become famous soon enough

On the soft Mopar cover I had, you pulled outwards on the fabric tab and rolled it upwards. Once it gets started just keep rolling it upwards as you move along each edge. Start on the tailgate, then each side. When you're done unfastening it just roll the cover up and hold it with the two vinyl cords up near the cab.

To put it back on, start in one front corner and begin by placing the plastic edging part in the slot and roll the edge over the cover down as you move along. Sides first, then the tailgate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_00000041.jpg (20.3 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Ram Nut; 12-23-2012 at 09:27 AM.