Ram 1500 Express 3 year road test review. - DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum
DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum > LD RAM - Ram 1500 Forum > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Dodge Dakota Dodge Durango Dodge Nitro Jeep
Diesel Forums!
Dodge Dakota Forum Dodge Durango Forum Dodge Nitro Forum Jeep Forum
Dodge Challenger Dodge Charger Chrysler 300 Dodge Magnum
Dodge Caliber
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Charger Forum Chrysler 300 Forum Dodge Magnum Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Vendor Highlight! - Check these guys out for great deals on Parts and Accessories!
Place your Ad Here!

Old 01-26-2016, 04:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express
Color: Black
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:13
p399 is on a distinguished road
Default Ram 1500 Express 3 year road test review.

Greetings all. I have been a lurker for about 3 years now. Found this site after I purchased my Ram in 2013. Have read extensively on the forum about problems and what not relating to that model year.

A little about me and the truck. I have been a Ford F 150 man for the longest time. No real technical reason, just had real good luck with them. I only came upon the Ram after my F150 was totaled while parked in front of my house. (Hit and run driver, later arrested and charged)

My truck is the Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab 4x4 5.7 litre Hemi. Just a basic little truck without a lot of the extras. None of my trucks were ever loaded vehicles as I just don't need leather or GPs or all the other items to be found in the higher end trucks. Not that they are a bad thing but this truck is not my daily driver, it is my vacation and play truck. My daily driver is loaded as is my wife's car.

From day 1 with this truck it has far surpassed any Ford truck I have ever had. Now I can count about 4 brand new ford F150s I have purchased in my adult life. None have been as quiet, smooth and powerful as the Ram.

The Fords all seemed to have a litany of warranty issues and something just always seemed to break, not that I was ever stranded out on the road but they were always little annoying things.

This truck is just now at the 3 year mark, just turned 32K miles. This thing has been from Maine to Florida and as far west as Oklahoma. As stated before it is my vacation and play truck. I average about 20 mpg highway and 14 in the city. ( those figures are not attained while towing) I get about 15 mpg on the highway towing about 2K pounds.

I am retired as is a bunch of my friends. We all ATV and motorcycle together. We all tow our toys where ever we go, and we go at least every other month somewhere. I also own a house in Florida and travel there from New Jersey quite often. This truck has had 0 problems and still looks and runs as it did on day one!

I do bring it to the dealership for all oil changes and maintenance on schedule.

The only issue I have had, and it was really only an annoyance is the cradle bushing froze. That made the truck squeak while going over bumps. It got louder in the cold weather. This was diagnosed and fixed promptly.

Now the reason I titled this a " 3 year road test" is because I leased this truck as I was not sure about the Ram brand having come from Fords. I figured let me drive it for 3 years, if I like it I will buy it at the end of the lease. If I hate it well, its only for 3 years. There is no doubt in my mind that I will be purchasing this truck in about 1 month when the lease expires.

In closing let me add that this truck is as quiet and smooth as my Lexus, no I am not kidding and my Lexus is whisper quiet inside. The build quality has been great, there is not a squeak, rattle, hum or anything with this truck. The paint is still flawless and shines like on day 1.

Overall I am very impressed with this truck and so glad I came over from the dark side to RAM!
Sponsored links
Old 01-26-2016, 05:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2005 QC 4X4 HEMI RAM
Trim Level: Thunder Road
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:452
hydrex is a glorious beacon of lighthydrex is a glorious beacon of lighthydrex is a glorious beacon of lighthydrex is a glorious beacon of lighthydrex is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome from Maine! I feel the same way, since 2005 when I bought my Ram. Came from Toyotas and Mazdas since 1974!! Ram compared to Toyotas, and even worse Mazdas, can't even compare, haha. 230,000 trouble free miles, Ram is fast, corners on rails and tows and hauls like a frieght train. Plus, it still gets comments! Very few 2005 Toyotas in Maine haven't had their frames fail for rust, mine still mint!! Ram Tough!
Inertia Spartan + cam, Circle D 3,000 stall ,Sonnax line pressure booster, MagHytec 68RE pan,and differential cover, Vararam, JBA's with cut outs, Rancho 9000's, Helwig rear sway bar,3:92's, extra rear leaf,Line-X Bedliner,GY Armortracs, 245,000 miles To Hell and back. 14.2/96 mph NEDW
Old 01-26-2016, 06:55 PM

Vehicle: 2015 ram 1500
Trim Level: laramie
Color: granite
Rep:24
granitemetalhemi is on a distinguished road

Very cool! Welcome to a great forum! I have had two Rams, the first was a 2012 cummins and now a 2015 hemi and they have both been great. Amazing quality, I had a 2010 tundra and the interior on that thing made so much noise and squeaks that it was sometimes hard to hear a passenger talk. These Rams have had GREAT interior fit and finish and wisper quiet. The hemi rocks too!
*Trucksmart tonneau cover
*Big-o a/t 275/60/20
Old 01-26-2016, 09:50 PM
The Sound of Eight Hooves

Trim Level: Lone Star (MJX8)
Color: Bright White (PW7)
Rep:793
Thunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrex View Post
Welcome from Maine! I feel the same way, since 2005 when I bought my Ram. Came from Toyotas and Mazdas since 1974!! Ram compared to Toyotas, and even worse Mazdas, can't even compare, haha. 230,000 trouble free miles, Ram is fast, corners on rails and tows and hauls like a freight train. Plus, it still gets comments! Very few 2005 Toyotas in Maine haven't had their frames fail for rust, mine still mint!! Ram Tough!
That is exactly it, especially with this 8 speed. My dad's '09 has the older 5 speed (same as the 6 speed with different programming) and it is a strong truck, but not quite like mine. I was on the Charger forum a couple days ago and someone had posted that when you buy a Ram you get balls. I think that's pretty accurate.

The Toys had a recall on frames for both the Tacos and the Tundras back in '05. That could be nothing but bad metallurgy there. Other than the engine block, the frame should have some of the thickest steel on a truck. Oh wait, they use aluminum blocks

I am at 47,600+ miles on my 2013, it is my DD (really just a do everything vehicle). All I've done is mods I wanted, and regular maintenance. Dad is at around 87,000 miles (I'm going to pass him up within a few years. Had 8 miles on it before I drove it and bought it in May '13. Been from South Texas to Oklahoma, out to Virginia and N.C., and between Texas and the East coast here a couple times. Fantastic vehicle for road trips.

Always good to hear another good story about a Ram converting the owner from the dark side. Welcome to the Z, I hope to see you around here more

Thunderhorse:
2013 Ram 1500 Lone Star Quad Cab 4X4. Bright White (PW7), 345ci Hemi V8, 8HP70, 3.21 gears (LSD rear). Mods list
Colt:
2015 Durango SXT Southwest Heat RWD. White Knuckle (PW7), 220ci Pentastar V6, 845RFE, 3.45 gears (open). Huskyliners, Catch can. Thread
Old 01-27-2016, 09:38 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 1500
Color: White
Rep:10
mdb18 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by p399 View Post
Greetings all. I have been a lurker for about 3 years now. Found this site after I purchased my Ram in 2013. Have read extensively on the forum about problems and what not relating to that model year.
Just curious, what problems have you heard about the 2013 model year?
Old 01-27-2016, 11:49 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Rep:13
p399 is on a distinguished road

Mdb18: It was this very forum that I read. All the old posts are still here. I didn't have any issues but I was interested in what issues other owners may have been experiencing.

This forum reassured me that I made the right decision. From everything I read it is clear that the 5.7 Hemi is basically bulletproof.
Old 01-27-2016, 03:54 PM

Vehicle: n/a
Trim Level: n/a
Color: n/a
Rep:54
ramcares will become famous soon enough

This is a great thread. Thank you for sharing your positive experience. I'm so glad to hear that we have converted you over to Rams (hopefully for GOOD)! I hope you continue to have fun with your truck Enjoy!
Old 01-28-2016, 12:51 AM

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Rep:92
Omac will become famous soon enough

Glad to hear. I've posted in the past that most of us dont have many if any problems with our RAMs. My RAM is awesome and I still love driving it everyday. My paint looks new so does the rest of the truck. Continue to enjoy your RAM. I know I am.
Mopar Hood Deflector, Mopar Mud Flaps Front/Rear, Fire/Ice Mud Flap LEDs, Tonno Bed Cover, Mopar Bed Mat, Mopar Tailgate Liner,Window Tint, Husky WeatherBeater Floor Liner Front/Rear, Mopar Chrome Gas Door
Old 01-28-2016, 09:33 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 8sp
Trim Level: BigHorn. RamBox
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:217
OldJoe has a spectacular aura aboutOldJoe has a spectacular aura aboutOldJoe has a spectacular aura about

Likewise on my 2013 BigHorn. I've never been happier with a truck.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:45 AM
Watasha Outlaw

Vehicle: '14 RAM 1500 R.Cab 4X4 Shorty
Trim Level: TRADESMAN
Color: FLAME RED
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:539
Desert Ram is a glorious beacon of lightDesert Ram is a glorious beacon of lightDesert Ram is a glorious beacon of lightDesert Ram is a glorious beacon of lightDesert Ram is a glorious beacon of lightDesert Ram is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences

I'll have to agree on how quite they are for a truck, just as
quite as my 2011 DTS