DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-22-2013, 11:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Tradesman
Rep:10
dustinf36 is on a distinguished road

Sticker on my 2013 1500 Quad Cab 4X4 was just over 31. Paid 22800.
Sponsored links
Old 08-22-2013, 11:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie Limited 6'4"
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:30
astonius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjgerson View Post
So I have an update. I opened the mail tonight and to my delight i had a $500 check from dealership stating that i qualified for an additional rebate. So now I only paid $41,300. This was 4 weeks after i took delivery!!
Good God, that's awesome! You're making my deal look like a freaking ripoff. Congrats!
Old 08-23-2013, 12:00 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Volks GTI
Color: Blue
RamItNow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumcrazy73 View Post
simple tell them 10 grand off msrp including all taxes and dealer fees and charges. or you walk. it is near time for the 14's to start hitting the lot.
So you are saying 10k + tax,title etc etc so like 13k? Or in taxes etc included in the 10k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowieknife View Post
I think the best thing to do is take that $41k price you got (get it on paper if you can) and call/email 10 other dodge dealers around you. Tell each one you're calling the rest of the dealers and you want their best price and are ready to sign tomorrow. I bet you can get another $2k off that price at least....probably more with '14 right around the corner.
I'm trying to get a blue sport CC 8 speed and there is only one in the area...250 mi away. I can't really work it out
Old 08-23-2013, 02:28 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: True Blue Peal/Mineral Gray
Rep:92
dawoodsman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by astonius View Post
"What you paid" values should never include trade equity, IMO. Just state what the final price of the truck was.
The point was--you really can't do that--unless you have NO trade involved.

Take a 40,000 truck and a trade with one dealer where they discount the truck 10,000 and give you 10,000 for your trade. And another dealer, same deal on the same truck, discounts the truck 8,000 but gives you 12,000 for your trade.

I think what you are saying is that although bottom line total price you pay is the same 20,000 for both, you should report that it cost 30,000 with one dealer and 32,000 with the next...but that's not accurate. Both dealers will pocket the same cash in the end. They just get it from different people.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:36 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie Limited 6'4"
Color: Black
Rep:30
astonius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawoodsman View Post

Take a 40,000 truck and a trade with one dealer where they discount the truck 10,000 and give you 10,000 for your trade. And another dealer, same deal on the same truck, discounts the truck 8,000 but gives you 12,000 for your trade.

I think what you are saying is that although bottom line total price you pay is the same 20,000 for both, you should report that it cost 30,000 with one dealer and 32,000 with the next...but that's not accurate. Both dealers will pocket the same cash in the end. They just get it from different people.
A fair point, but we should probably call it out better. Something like:

Price of truck: $xxxxx
Minus trade difference: $xxxxx
Total paid: $xxxxx

Because trade values can vary so widely it's nice to know what a competitive price is for the truck alone, regardless of the vehicle being traded (or in my case without a trade). When someone says they paid $25,000 for a $47,000 truck it's obvious there's trade equity there, which is essentially a down payment. They didn't really pay only $25,000 for the truck.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Big Horn
pgianna is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawoodsman View Post

I agree, the trade in is the wild card. A dealer could give you 15K below MSRP, but if they are giving you 5k below fair value for your trade in, then you aren't really getting that great of a deal. On this thread I try to look at posts that have no trade in. Those are a better indicator if the person got a good deal or not. Actually it gets even more complicated than that. There are many ways a dealer can make money on deal. Price of car, trade in, financing, and after sale ad on , like extended warranty and fabric protection stuff and dont forget those documentation fees. So for example you get a truck for 15 k below msrp, get a good trade in value for you car. But you then go ahead and buy the warrant and fabric protection, you also agree to a high interest rate and also there is a $500 doc fee. So that 'awesome deal' you agreed to may not be as good as you think. There is a old salesman;s joke that goes something like this " Its not the deal the customer gets, it's the deal he thinks he is getting'. There a lot of great article online about how car dealerships make money. The best one i read was on edmunds written by a journalist ho went undercover for three months as a car salesman. When I negotiate for a car, i go last day of the month after a have spent some time picking out the car or truck beforehand. While I am talking to the salesmen, I throw in comments like can I buy extended warranties, my wiife will be driving this car , so I dont want her to have any issues or is fabric protection available, my kids make a mess in the car, or my credit is ok, but not great. I am not sure if makes any difference, but I just like the dealer to think that he could make killing on other parts of the deal so he may agree to a lower price for the vehicle and maybe a higher price for my trade in. Not sure if it really helps me get a better deal, but it doesn't hurt t throw in comments like that. I apologize if I went a little off topic here.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Black Clear Coat
Rep:65
cjgerson will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by astonius View Post
Good God, that's awesome! You're making my deal look like a freaking ripoff. Congrats!
Thanks. I will say that I now had $5250 in incentives, which obviously played a huge role in the deal I got.

As for trade, I traded in a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica that definitely had aesthetic issues (paint chipping on 4 panels, power mirrors no longer working, and a dent in one front quarter panel), needed new shocks, needed new rear tires, and was high mileage. NADA Guides said rough trade-in was $3150 and I got $3000 trade allowance.
RetraxOne Tonneau cover, DeeZee tailgate assist, Line-X premium bed liner, Bed Rug Bed Mat, Freedom Tailgate seal, Cabin Air filter, aFe Magnum FORCE Air Intake System, Muffllex DOD18M, AVS Aeroskin Hood Shield, Craven Stubby Antenna, Tinted Windows, AVS In-Channel Vent-visors, AMP Research Black Bed Xtender HD, Hypertech Interceptor, E&G Classics - Polished Heavy Mesh Bumper Grille insert , Lamin-X 3rd brake and fog lights, E&G Classics Polished Heavy Mesh Bumper Grille Insert
Old 08-23-2013, 07:03 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: True Blue Peal/Mineral Gray
Rep:92
dawoodsman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgianna View Post
I agree, the trade in is the wild card. A dealer could give you 15K below MSRP, but if they are giving you 5k below fair value for your trade in, then you aren't really getting that great of a deal. On this thread I try to look at posts that have no trade in. Those are a better indicator if the person got a good deal or not. Actually it gets even more complicated than that. There are many ways a dealer can make money on deal. Price of car, trade in, financing, and after sale ad on , like extended warranty and fabric protection stuff and dont forget those documentation fees. So for example you get a truck for 15 k below msrp, get a good trade in value for you car. But you then go ahead and buy the warrant and fabric protection, you also agree to a high interest rate and also there is a $500 doc fee. So that 'awesome deal' you agreed to may not be as good as you think. There is a old salesman;s joke that goes something like this " Its not the deal the customer gets, it's the deal he thinks he is getting'. There a lot of great article online about how car dealerships make money. The best one i read was on edmunds written by a journalist ho went undercover for three months as a car salesman. When I negotiate for a car, i go last day of the month after a have spent some time picking out the car or truck beforehand. While I am talking to the salesmen, I throw in comments like can I buy extended warranties, my wiife will be driving this car , so I dont want her to have any issues or is fabric protection available, my kids make a mess in the car, or my credit is ok, but not great. I am not sure if makes any difference, but I just like the dealer to think that he could make killing on other parts of the deal so he may agree to a lower price for the vehicle and maybe a higher price for my trade in. Not sure if it really helps me get a better deal, but it doesn't hurt t throw in comments like that. I apologize if I went a little off topic here.
Good comments. I am the guilty party for taking it astray a bit I think..I was just concerned that people realize there aren't many apples to apples comparisons to be had when comparing deals with trades involved. If you want actual values I think you should look only at those reported prices without a trade where every incentive the buyer qualified for is listed. Of course that's another cluster as you don't always know with some dealers.

My best guess--and it is just a guess-- on my deal trying to take the trade value out of it is that I got my 43,000 truck for about 33,500 with all of the incentives I qualified for. Of course, one of the incentives was a nice one for a trade in...
Old 08-23-2013, 10:14 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn (4x4 CC)
Color: Bright Silver
jbr is on a distinguished road
Default 2013 Dodge Ram price

About to sign for a new truck. Just wanted to see if this was an ok deal or not.

2013 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT crew cab 4x4.. 5.7 liter V8 hemi 8 speed
msrp: 42,735

invoice: 39,318 according to the salesman.
Checked it online and most websites are within $10-20 of that.

Sale price: $39,818...$500 over invoice.
Dealer had to do a swap with another dealer about 50 miles away.
minus $3250 incentives

There are not many 4x4 crew cabs the 8 speed transmission available in my area (Long Island NY) with the "options" I was looking for, so I think that hurts my deal a little.

They gave me $4400 for my trade original, but got them up to $4500 which it mid range kkb value.
Trade does need new struts and leaks oil... total to fix is about $1400.

Everything being considered:

$34,114.18

But is $500 over invoice good. I heard 1% over invoice is the max you should ever purchase for.

Last edited by jbr; 08-23-2013 at 10:24 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Big Horn
pgianna is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbr View Post
About to sign for a new truck. Just wanted to see if this was an ok deal or not.

2013 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT crew cab 4x4.. 5.7 liter V8 hemi 8 speed
msrp: 42,735

invoice: 39,318 according to the salesman.
Checked it online and most websites are within $10-20 of that.

Sale price: $39,818...$500 over invoice.
Dealer had to do a swap with another dealer about 50 miles away.
minus $3250 incentives

There are not many 4x4 crew cabs the 8 speed transmission available in my area (Long Island NY) with the "options" I was looking for, so I think that hurts my deal a little.

They gave me $4400 for my trade original, but got them up to $4500 which it mid range kkb value.
Trade does need new struts and leaks oil... total to fix is about $1400.

Everything being considered:

$34,114.18

But is $500 over invoice good. I heard 1% over invoice is the max you should ever purchase for.

I think you can get a better deal, I think you could get another 1,000 out of the dealer at least.