DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.7L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-03-2013, 12:15 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Slate
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
RamSport1500 is on a distinguished road
Default Multiple Problems

Ok I have a 06 Ram 1500 Sport 5.7. I had to do the whole replace the TIPM deal through the dealer. My trucks passenger low beam went out, then my truck began blowing all kinds of light (mostly the tail lights), then my RPM guage started reading 0 RPM at Idle and 500 RPM at any speed, Then my oil pressure guage started to act up and every once in a while my pressure guage would go up then down to reading nothing to a few minutes later back up to nrmal. Took it to the dealer and the dealer said it was the the TIPM. Replaced the TIPM things started to work again EXCEPT my Tachometer and my Oil Pressure guage. TOld the dealer it was still acting up and they said that my instrument panel had nothing to do with the TIPM. Mind you they said all those symptons I just listed were due to the TIPM. My oil pressure guage is on and off and works when it wants to and now my service engine light is on and its throwing code... anything from saying my oil is the wrong type which it isnt. I use Valvoline 5w-20 Syn. and another code saying something about my oil pressure circuit performance and 3 other codes that I couldnt pin point exactly what they were cause im new to use my dads scan tool.

And I have been having issues since my TIPM fried. My tachometer and oil pressure hasn't worked right since. Dealer originally said it would fix itself after the TIPM got replaced. TIPM replaced still not working they then said it was my cluster going bad. It is somewhere around $250-400 to replace it. Does anyone have input on this... should I replace the cluster? My oil pressure guage willwork one minute and as soon I either accelerate or dramatically slow down or speed up then it will drop. During accelerating it rises as soon as I keep they gas at a steady speed it drops down into the red... I have been using Valvoline SynPower 5-20 and K&N filter. Just changed it the oil and changed the filter now using a Fram extended filter... Its been throwing codes saying P0520' P0521' P0524 P1521. What am I missing? I know I'm not using the wrong oil type.. Where is the oil sensor located... If the sensor is cheaper than the cluster to start with id rather change that first.
I've also had a couple occasions where she has just died on me... like i turned the motor off... hasn't happened but a few times but i don't know what thats about... Plus i've noticed since my TIPM died and was replaced i don't hear the MDS kicking in anymore and my gas milage has gotten worse... What to do....
I just don't want to fry my motor or worse... any guidance????I have no idea what to do where to go.... starting to regret getting a Dodge
Sponsored links
Old 01-03-2013, 12:41 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Rep:360
starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

Wow, sorry to hear of all your troubles. I can't offer much at all and it may be zero help but I thought I would pitch it in anyway.

First off, this may not be your issue but the 2006 Rams are notorious for tachometer issues. My 2006 tach was intermittent. Sometimes it stayed on zero, sometimes it worked but wasn't accurate, sometimes it worked fine (rarely), and sometimes it swung all the way over to the redline and stayed there. I didn't fix the issue before I traded the truck but I did do enough research to know it is a very common issue with the 2006 trucks. I did not have any of the other issues...only the tach.

Secondly, I hate to ask a stupid question but are you certain your oil pressure issue is a gauge problem rather than an actual oil pressure problem? It might be difficult to know for sure although I would suspect if it has happened very much, especially when the pressure dropped to zero, your engine would have told you by now.

Just a couple of thoughts. Good luck with your troubleshooting.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:40 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

The part that's causing you the issue is not the Dodge part...it's the 'electronics' part and most specifically the 'computer' part.

I am NOT say what is wrong with yours as that is very difficult to say without running a plethora of tests, but I will give you a few things to think about.

The TIPM supplies power to everything electronic in the truck....including the Instrument cluster. If it is capable to malfunctioning to the point of blowing bulbs, could it also blow some of the other things that get their power form it.....like everything!

An instrument cluster is just a computer/module given that name. It gets all kinds of data from the PCM and other modules that it analyses and then moves a needle to a position that it determines is the correct position based on the data it has received. Once an instrument cluster starts to fail, it just keeps getting worse and worse until some or all of the following quit working -
  • gauges
  • lights....all of them
  • transfer case shifter
  • horn
  • power windows
  • door locks
  • transmission range selector
  • and few more things

If there is a wiring problem at the instrument cluster or at one of the modules that affects the Can Bus system, then the symptoms of a failed instrument cluster 'could' be present, but that real problem 'could' be elsewhere.

The codes P0520, P0521 & P0524 suggest an oil sensor issue, but could also be an instrument cluster issue. Because the tach is also an issue.......

I have worked with electronics and computers all my life and have learned to dislike things that run on programs. That now includes pretty much everything from our automobiles to our appliances and of course our entertainment equipment. And if all those computers aren't enough for us, we go and buy a 'Computer' to further entertain and frustrate us.

Good luck in your repairs.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 01-03-2013, 03:52 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I would rule out one thing at a time
do an oil pressure check by using a manual gauge type device
if you were using the cheap FRAM oil filter, i would say that it was a very likely suspect
i only use WIX oil filters, after never having good oil pressure while using the cheap Fram

As far as the Tachometer is concerned, do you have a Speedometer/Tachometer shop in your area, check your yellow pages, if you do, explain your fluctuation experience with them

Don't just throw parts at it & hope that it will fix it

Good Luck
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 01-04-2013, 09:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram Big Horn
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Blue
Rep:33
imlikeojnow is on a distinguished road

It almost sounds like a grounding issue. The tach going back and fourth like that tells me there is an open circuit. Did the dealer hook everything back up correctly. Are there capacitors on the back of the cluster? They could be fried. You could pull the PCM and see if it smells or looks funny. Not the same truck but I had an old bronco that the PCM fried and did exactly what you are talking about.