DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-05-2013, 08:24 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Rep:10
awturbosp is on a distinguished road
Default Buying Advice Please!

Ok. First let me start off by saying that I completely understand that I will not get unbiased opinions on a forum! But, I am looking for opinions and advice.

I am in the military, currently deployed, and about to order a new truck for my return. I am torn between the 2013 Ram Laramie and 2013 F150 Lariat. I test drove both 2012 versions before I left but won't have the opportunity to see the new interiors of both before I have to order.

Pro's (TO ME) of the RAM
5.7L Hemi
Very nice interior (big upgrade from the 2012)
Body Styling
Standard options on Laramie
Uconnect

Pro's for the F150
Ecoboost (fuel mileage)
Very nice interior
Resale value
Sync Mytouch

Will you tell me some reasons that YOU chose the RAM over the other trucks available? Real world mpg's. etc? How do you like the Uconnect? How responsive is the screen?

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored links
Old 01-05-2013, 11:14 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 ram longhorn
Trim Level: longhorn
Color: ruby red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
zr1 is on a distinguished road

I was like you didn't know which i liked better. I was a Chevy guy but had owned a couple ford expeditions. I drove the 2013 f150 limited and liked the eco boost. I really wanted to buy the ford, but when I saw the Ram Laramie Longhorn interior it made me pause and give the Ram a chance. As for gas mileage, I can tell you actual gas milage from s.c. to al. the Ford eco boost got 18.5 and the Ram (.392 rear end) got 16.5. My daughter bought an fx2 in Atlanta then drove me to pickup my Ram in Aiken s.c. Also Do not buy based on what the 2012 was like. I would have gone with the Ford myself. The Uconnect works fine for me.

Thank You for your service to our country!

Old 01-05-2013, 11:14 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 RAM Sport CC 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:623
bighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to all

My wife has MyTouch in her Edge, it is awful. There is always something wrong and they are always sending out updates that take 45 mins. The Uconnect is great IMO, simple and effective. The screen works everytime you touch it. The Furd isn't a bad truck, but you will pay more, bad things have been happening to the Ecoboost and the warranty only goes to 60,000 miles.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:16 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Sport Crew Cab Hemi
Color: White
rraulston is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by awturbosp View Post
Ok. First let me start off by saying that I completely understand that I will not get unbiased opinions on a forum! But, I am looking for opinions and advice.

I am in the military, currently deployed, and about to order a new truck for my return. I am torn between the 2013 Ram Laramie and 2013 F150 Lariat. I test drove both 2012 versions before I left but won't have the opportunity to see the new interiors of both before I have to order.

Pro's (TO ME) of the RAM
5.7L Hemi
Very nice interior (big upgrade from the 2012)
Body Styling
Standard options on Laramie
Uconnect

Pro's for the F150
Ecoboost (fuel mileage)
Very nice interior
Resale value
Sync Mytouch

Will you tell me some reasons that YOU chose the RAM over the other trucks available? Real world mpg's. etc? How do you like the Uconnect? How responsive is the screen?

Thanks for the help!
Simple...truck of the year....if fuel milage is what you want, buy a car.....
Old 01-05-2013, 11:55 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Black Diamond
Rep:25
Black Diamond 357 is on a distinguished road

It was pretty easy for me. I did a pro and con list of all the vehicles that I wanted. Then went to the build your vehicle on the Ford/Chevy/Nissan/Ram website. With all of the options I wanted the Ram was the best thing for me. I really enjoy my truck...best purchase I have made on a vehicle. The ford would have cost me 10K more the chevy was 7K more/ nissan was 6K more. The Ram had more HP and better options at a cheaper price. I have a 2012 Laramie Longhorn and it has exceeded my expectations.
Are you a USAA member? If so go to the website and build your vehicle the way you want it. Then make sure you go to a dealership that honors USAA prices.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond 357 View Post
It was pretty easy for me. I did a pro and con list of all the vehicles that I wanted. Then went to the build your vehicle on the Ford/Chevy/Nissan/Ram website. With all of the options I wanted the Ram was the best thing for me. I really enjoy my truck...best purchase I have made on a vehicle. The ford would have cost me 10K more the chevy was 7K more/ nissan was 6K more. The Ram had more HP and better options at a cheaper price. I have a 2012 Laramie Longhorn and it has exceeded my expectations.
Are you a USAA member? If so go to the website and build your vehicle the way you want it. Then make sure you go to a dealership that honors USAA prices.
Thanks for the replies guys.

I am a USAA member. I've been pricing through the site and the price is just about the same for both, but I will actually get a few more features with the Dodge like HID lights and 20" rims. I wish it were that easy to decide though. lol.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:31 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Black Diamond
Rep:25
Black Diamond 357 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by awturbosp View Post
Thanks for the replies guys.

I am a USAA member. I've been pricing through the site and the price is just about the same for both, but I will actually get a few more features with the Dodge like HID lights and 20" rims. I wish it were that easy to decide though. lol.

The Ford dealership told me "Yes we are a USAA dealership but we will not gaurantee the price" The Dodge dealership I went to was not a USAA dealer and I got my truck cheaper than what they was offering so it was a win for me!
Old 01-05-2013, 01:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond 357 View Post
The Ford dealership told me "Yes we are a USAA dealership but we will not gaurantee the price" The Dodge dealership I went to was not a USAA dealer and I got my truck cheaper than what they was offering so it was a win for me!
Yeah. I have already got a price for the Ford and can get it ordered for cheaper than both USAA or the Exchange New Car Sales. Don't know about the Ram yet. I've requested a quote though.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Sport Quad Cab
Color: Black
poseidon7902 is on a distinguished road

If you were comparing 12 to 12, the F150 would probably be the better vehicle though not by much. The 13's though are not even in the same ball park. The F150 feels like a work truck with cheap internals even when paying a premium for the sound system, leather etc... The space in the cab (Quad cab comparison) is better in the Ram as well. I went to the Chrysler dealership with the intention of buying a 13 300 C. Once I got in the 13 Ram it was all over. Honestly between the big 3 the RAM knocks the others out without a doubt. Not saying that because I own one, but I own one because of that. My only stipulation when buying was it had to be one of the big 3. Gm might as well pack up their truck division. Under powered, under whelming, etc... Ford has a good truck in the F150, but the RAM shines.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:35 PM

Vehicle: 2000 GMC 2500
Rep:16
Ctrl-z is on a distinguished road

No one should ever list MyFord(Lincoln)Touch as a "pro". I've had it since its inception on a 2011 MKX and it is a sack of ..., well let's say it has issues. Not to be confused with Ford's Sync which works fine. Eco-Boost mileage claims may not be close to obtainable unless vehicle is driven very gently, towing anything will kill those ratings.