DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - News Desk > MOPAR NATION - Dodge Ram Club Regional Chapters! > FLORIDA DODGE RAM OWNERS

Notices

FLORIDA DODGE RAM OWNERS If you live in Florida, let us know! Come and meet us at one of our Meet & Greets!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-04-2013, 02:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: White
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
ccd1977 is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone know a reliable mechanic in Orlando, FL?

I am looking for a reliable full service mechanic in the Orlando, FL area. I am trying to find someone that can replace all the transmission, tranfer case, radiator, rear diff, etc with Amsoil and I cannot seem to find a reputable one through Google.

I hope you can help.

Thanks in advanced.
Sponsored links
Old 02-07-2013, 01:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:127
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccd1977 View Post
I am looking for a reliable full service mechanic in the Orlando, FL area. I am trying to find someone that can replace all the transmission, tranfer case, radiator, rear diff, etc with Amsoil and I cannot seem to find a reputable one through Google.

I hope you can help.

Thanks in advanced.
I'm sure you already made up your mind with fluids, but consider Valvoline, my family has been using it for well about 120 years now... Never had any problems.

As far as finding a mechanic, well I usually repair and customize vehicles for performance, I'm a mechanical engineering student, member of ASME and all and I would say just bring it to me and I would give you a discount, hell my prices are always discounted, but I don't have a fluid flusher, I might design one and build it, would be cheaper than buying a good one. Well, good luck my fellow ram friend.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:41 PM

That sounds pretty sweet. Do you do exhaust work? I am looking to do a budget exhaust and ditch the cat if that is a good idea. Truck has 92.4k mi so cat os prob an issue.. Any ideas for this ?
Old 02-07-2013, 04:36 PM

ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
That sounds pretty sweet. Do you do exhaust work? I am looking to do a budget exhaust and ditch the cat if that is a good idea. Truck has 92.4k mi so cat os prob an issue.. Any ideas for this ?
Yup I do exhaust work, body work, transmission rebuilds/modifications, engine rebuilds/mods and design, axles, suspension rebuilds and design, electrical work, insulation and sound proofing, fiberglass work... Basically everything. I also have the software and abilities to perform FEA on fluid flows so the exhaust gas flow modeling, same for engines, everything can be analyzed and simulated.

Ditching the CAT wouldn't really have any significant performance increases on a stock motor, even with the correct computer tune the performance increase wouldn't be big, you would see performance increases only due to the computer tune alone. A stock engine is dependent on the CAT to provide a back pressure for the pre-cat O2 sensor, when you have performance exhaust and headers then the O2 sensor is located in the collector because the larger area slows down the exhaust gas velocity which in turn creates higher pressure at the collector, the slowing of the exhaust gas allows for the proper sensor readings. With the correct cam, computer tune, exhaust system, and flow through the bowl then you will see very significant performance increases, these cost money though.

Removing the CAT on RAM 1996+ will cause issues because of the post-CAT O2 sensor, their use to be a popular little device that you would hook up between the harness and the O2 sensor which would basically trick the computer into believing a CAT was their, but the EPA cracked down on the corporation and the device no longer exists, you would have to make your own which is somewhat straight forward.

With the advances in FEA and engineering in general, most CAT's flow very well compared to the stock units, a stock replacement today flows better than the performance units of the middle 90's. Their are about 4 or 5 different wafer designs, the most famous is the honeycomb which is what a majority of stock and 90's performance CAT's are, these don't flow as well as we use to believe. Their are like I said other deigns but I cannot remember them all off the top of my head, I will have to refer back to my books I studied.

But to answer your question, yes I can build exhaust systems.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:03 PM

wow! thanks. what is a good recommendation on a high flow cat and muffler? dont care if it loud but a nice rumble is cool. i dont care about single or duel either. just whatever works on a budget. also, would headers be a good idea at this time? recommendations? thx again.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:
wow! thanks. what is a good recommendation on a high flow cat and muffler? dont care if it loud but a nice rumble is cool. i dont care about single or duel either. just whatever works on a budget. also, would headers be a good idea at this time? recommendations? thx again.
I can recommend a good setup, It is more of a budget setup however it will not restrict performance only promote it. I recommend a magnaflow CAT, the universal ones that are 80 bucks, really good CAT's and they have made some great improvements in their design, and as far as a muffler I like the thrush turbo mufflers. Many people will say that stuff is just crappy stock replacement but from much reading they are perfect for this engine and produce a very beautiful sound. A setup like this shouldn't cost anymore than 100 bucks, and don't think because it is inexpensive that it would be crappy, because I have bought many expensive "performance promised" items that failed to deliver and have had luck with simple setups.

Headers, you will only see gains with a performance cam and valvetrain. A minimum of .5" lift on both in/ex with a minimum of 2.02 in/1.6 ex and @.05 durations of around 210in/212ex with headers and a good dual exhaust you can see lower to mid 300HP.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:01 AM

So something like this for the Cat?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...ntifier=835046

And this for the muffler?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par..._378350_0_2223

Where in FL are you located? I will be happy to pickup the parts and I got a coupon so they will be cheaper . PM me and we can get my exhaust taken care of. Just need to know how much you charge and how long it will take. I can also be a reference for you too. A good reference goes along way when people wanna know your work.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:25 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Where in Orlando are you? I live on goldenrod road and could help you out with most if not all of what you're looking to do. What engine is in your truck? Do you know what transmission it has?

Headers will definitely give a power increase, but depending on budget you could do other things to get more bang/buck. I also have a MIG welder and could help you out on the exhaust. You could do a cheap exhaust(crush bends and mild steel) for probably ~$100-$150 or spend a little more and get SS or at least aluminized pipe and maybe mandrel bends. I will be doing my exhaust (aluminized pipe and mandrel bends) in the upcoming weeks. Had planned on doing it last weekend but like always, something came up and I couldn't do it.

My biggest issue is time. I probably wouldn't be able to help you out for at least 1-2 months from now.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
So something like this for the Cat?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...ntifier=835046

And this for the muffler?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par..._378350_0_2223

Where in FL are you located? I will be happy to pickup the parts and I got a coupon so they will be cheaper . PM me and we can get my exhaust taken care of. Just need to know how much you charge and how long it will take. I can also be a reference for you too. A good reference goes along way when people wanna know your work.
Oh I am all the way up in the Daytona area, Palm Coast. I doubt you will want to drive all the way up to me for a simple exhaust job, but if you do I cannot do it anytime this month because I am out of the state on some business and won't be back until March 19th. I will PM you anyways just incase you do decide to take a ride up or if you end up down the road needing some serious repairs or modifications. I been thinking about making a Daytona area Ram club because their are plenty of them but not serving Daytona, we have Ocala and I think Miami, Tampa, but no Daytona, atleast not that I am aware of.

Snrusnak though, who is in your area, can weld up the exhaust for you, he so graciously offered to do so. I personally don't like to weld the entire exhaust, I prefer clamps because if you ever have to take apart the exhaust, for whatever reason it may be, it is just easier to remove clamps and rusted pipes then cut out pipes or grind down welds. I remember when I had to do my rear main seal, had to move the exhaust a little to get the oil pan out.

But those parts you listed from autozone are perfect. Their are always better options but unless you have rebuilt the engine, than there isn't much a reason to go and blow big bucks. Exhaust systems and intake manifolds are really designed around the cam and valve train, it is a good idea though to always have an exhaust system that flows a minimum of 3 times the intake because of waste products, but the idea is to keep pressure low and velocity high, exhaust systems are very tricky to tune without some sort of flow modeling, it's all physics. The only place where you want to have a higher pressure (slow down the gases) is in the collector area for the O2 sensor, and the collector area is almost always smaller than the total combined area of the headpipes, and for a good reason, back pressure is good in a sense because gas always flows from a high pressure system to a low pressure system, because of this it helps to create that scavenging effect and also helps with the expelling of gases from the exhaust system.

Oh, if you do get headers sometime in the future, I like hedman, they are decent and inexpensive. Hookers are good headers but that are typically more expensive.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:22 PM

OK. Well keep me posted. I am hoping to do this sooner but we will see if ramvan2500 gets back to me on this or not. Thanks