DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram MPG Zone
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Dodge Ram MPG Zone Discuss your MPG woes and helpful hints here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-20-2013, 09:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
cptndan is on a distinguished road
Default 2009 Ram Laramie mileage issues.

How can I improve the mileage on my 2009 Ram Laramie?

I have previously owned a 1997 Ram SLT (360 cu in V8) and a 2010 Ram TRX 4. Both these trucks consistently got 15-16 mpg in small town/rural highway driving and 17-18 mpg on the highway. I put 185000 mi on my 97 and 34000 on the 2010 before upgrading to the 09 Laramie which had only 14000 mi on it. The 2009 only gets 13-14 mpg combined and 15-16 mpg highway (1 mpg worse in winter!). I have not changed any driving habits. My 97 did have a K & N Air Raid air filter on it. I have noticed that the "fuel saver" light on the 09 only lights up when I am coasting or braking or going downhill. It very seldom activates while maintaining speed. The instantaneous mileage bar graph on the 2010 seemed to indicate that the fuel saver functioned more often.

My wife and I love everything about our Dodge except the gas mileage. Recently I nearly bought a Ford F150 but I felt the comfort, room, storage options and functionality did not come close to the Dodge. The Ford did get about 3 mpg better gas mileage in test drives however. Could there have been a fuel saver computer update after 2009? Would another K & N filter be worthwhile? Hoping for any help!
Sponsored links
Old 01-20-2013, 09:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2013 power wagon 2500 loaded
Trim Level: crew cab loaded
Color: black
Engine: 2010-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 383hp 400lb/ft (2500/3500)
Rep:80
dwanton will become famous soon enough

I have heard others say the economy light only comes on at certain times like you say. Mine comes on all the time , I can just let up of the pedal the slightest bit and the economy light comes on . My little computer readout sez I am getting 17 MPG and that is in traffic and lights , stop and go . I dont really travel for long trips but I have to imagine I should be in the 20+ MPG area.

The economy light does make me drive with a lighter foot -- because i get excited when it moves up a tenth and mad when it goes down ... LOL !!

hope you figure things out .