DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Towing

Notices

Towing 4th Gen Dodge Ram Towing Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-03-2012, 12:38 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: White
Rep:25
Jmorris is on a distinguished road
Default 2,000 lbs in bed

I have a 2010 big horn 1500 4x4 5.7 with 392 gears, quad cab 6.5' bed. I am looking to pick up a pallet of heating wood pellets. i think the weight is around 2,000 lbs. I will only be driving about 5 miles through town. Is this amount of weight going to hurt anything or will i be ok.
Sponsored links
Old 01-03-2012, 12:52 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

Well.....don't know how to answer this.....

At 2000 Lbs, you are definitely exceeding the manufactures payload rating as well as the rear axle rating, so -
It would be against the law
If something went wrong, there could be insurance issues
If something breaks, there could be warranty issues
Me on the other hand, have done more for longer; but I understand the risks and know my Ram.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 01-03-2012, 01:27 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2597
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

For a short trip & driving carefully, a 2,000 pound load won't hurt a thing
If you did it often, you ought to think about borrowing a trailer
your only 400 pounds over the recommended haul weight
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 01-03-2012, 10:54 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Rep:12
TNC is on a distinguished road

I live in an area where it appears that 50% of all vehicles on the road are pickups. There is a large amount of livestock, agricultural, and oil field activity. The trucks I'm referring to get used for their intended purpose. Many friends and neighbors constantly tow or haul loads that exceed the recommended level for short distances. Many of these trucks get used until they just about turn to rust, and they look it...LOL! Being a gearhead, I've always kind of paid attention to how they hold up. Oddly, it seems most pickups hold up to this kind of abuse for these short distances. I see hardly any of them doing any long distance hauling/towing in this manner. It seems there's a level of "cushion" built into most trucks to handle without absolute failure. I'm with GTY on this when it comes to personal use and just use one of my trailers and don't overload...but I hate to abuse machinery too much.

On another note, in my area the Dodge diesel seems to be the clear winner for 3/4 and 1 ton trucks, and the Chevy seems to be the popular 1/2 ton pickup. There are more ancient and new pickups of those two brands than you can shake a stick at.

As brad rightly points out, it can be a safety issue and especially concerning the braking. Some nimrods get into their truck when heavily loaded and drive it like the family car. Potential damage or not to the mechanical components in the truck, it won't stop that well, so give yourself a big fudge factor for stopping distance, even if you're just going around the block.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:12 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Rep:25
Jmorris is on a distinguished road

thanks for the replys. after thinking about it for a couple of days i think since im so close im going to split it into 2 loads. I know the truck could probable handle it but its my only vehicle and my luck is that something would happen. so thanks again
Old 01-16-2012, 09:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 12 Ram 3500 6.7L Mega 4x4 SRW
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Mineral Gray
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:10
UPANDCUMMER is on a distinguished road

That's why I bought a 1 ton, I can pretty much haul what ever I want. Also, why I bought a 5 ton trailer...
Old 01-17-2012, 10:54 PM

Vehicle: 09 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: deep water blue
Rep:85
HEMILANCER will become famous soon enough

with the coil springs in the rear the truck will just bottom out and blow the shocks. i tried to haul a pallet of pavers and when the forklift dropped it down the truck just kept sinking. i had to split the load so will you, if you had leaf springs they would eventually stop bending.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:20 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Longhorn
Trim Level: longhorn
Color: Black/gold trim
rcgreg is on a distinguished road

A more important consideration - is your tires. Generally you would need 10 ply rated tires for that kind of a load, if your tires are rated lower - you can still manage - but you need to be aware that you will experience more 'sway' and the possibility of tire failure. So pick a route where getting off the road would not be a problem.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Gray / Sandstone
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
welr is on a distinguished road

RCGREG is right about the tires. Tried hauling a 2,000 pound slide in camper on my last 3/4 ton. Truck was all over the road with D load range tires. Took up grading to E's and heavier shocks and airbags to make it work right. I've hauled a ton on a half ton .... won't do it again.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:24 PM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:1178
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad12kx View Post
Well.....don't know how to answer this.....

At 2000 Lbs, you are definitely exceeding the manufactures payload rating as well as the rear axle rating, so -
It would be against the law
If something went wrong, there could be insurance issues
If something breaks, there could be warranty issues
Me on the other hand, have done more for longer; but I understand the risks and know my Ram.
Brad said it right. I had 1800lbs in the bed of my ram from Syracuse NY to Seattle WA. Not a problem...but I knew what I was doing, and my tires were rated for it.

If you arent comfortable doing it, then split it. I didnt really have a choice, I was paid by weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPANDCUMMER View Post
That's why I bought a 1 ton, I can pretty much haul what ever I want. Also, why I bought a 5 ton trailer...
Yeah, but not everyone has 60k+ to drop on a Loaded 1 ton!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMILANCER View Post
with the coil springs in the rear the truck will just bottom out and blow the shocks. i tried to haul a pallet of pavers and when the forklift dropped it down the truck just kept sinking. i had to split the load so will you, if you had leaf springs they would eventually stop bending.
A few miles wont blow his shocks, I hauled 200 lbs less for 3200 miles without a single issue. I just had to get some 10 ply's tires for the rear end. I bought them, put them on, got here, sold them and got almost what I paid.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...