DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.7L (345 cu in) HEMI V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-09-2013, 08:46 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
ArcticRam1500 is on a distinguished road
Default Burned Clutches, Torque Converter?

Hey Guys, hopefully someone can help me so i can get this fixed - current issue: My truck is slow to accelerate in gears 3 to 5 when i hit the gas hard. Here is a quick background.
i took it in a week ago because i was noticing some grinding/rattling from the exhaust and shifting issues (assuming torque converter) - gears would shift from second to third for example, and in third would slowly creep up from about 2500RPM until shifting to 4th gear at about 6000, with the pedal to the floor! long story short the dealer said the tranny was slipping so they opened her up and replaced burned clutches. Now that i got my truck back thinking everything would be back to normal its not. if i accelerate normally, let it get into 3rd gear and put the pedal down, it doesnt want to downgear, almost boggs and slowly creeps up the speed. so it seems like the issue is still there - is it possible that the torque converter is causing this issue and that would eventually burn the clutches which could happen again? im lost - soon i will head into the dealership and go for a ride with the transmission technician to show him how the acceleration is in 3rd gear....i dont hear the rattling but acceleration problem is still there.
Sponsored links
Old 01-10-2013, 08:00 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:350
TransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really nice

Sounds more like a throttle control / engine performance issue to me. The tech should be able to ride with you, with a scan tool, and monitor your current gear, target gear, and throttle angle readings. See what happens when you try to accelerate. Does the throttle reading go up (to 90 or so)? Does the target gear change, but the trans doesn't shift?

If your trans were slipping, your engine speed would rev up higher than usual (not be bogged down), and also you would go into limp-in and get the CEL on. So I don't think the trans is the issue, at least not if I'm correctly understanding how it's behaving. A bad converter could inhibit the performance, but it would not prevent the trans from downshifting normally.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:10 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
ArcticRam1500 is on a distinguished road

thanks i appreciate the information - i am trying to figure out how to replicate the problem so when i go for a drive with the mechanic i can be sure the problem occurs when he is there. what your saying about the tranny slipping makes sense, its not reving high without motion.