DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-11-2013, 02:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram CC 4x4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Sagebrush
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:87
kkreit01 will become famous soon enough

Without a tune, the manual specifically states the use of premium fuel is not recommended. In my previous Hemi, I ran 87 and 89 -- depending on prices. I noticed no difference. Currently, I've only run 89 in my Ram. If gas gets up above 3.50, I may switch to 87.
Sponsored links
Old 01-11-2013, 04:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4WD Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Rep:2538
Hermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond repute

I would run what the manual recommends no more, no less. If the manual indicates 87 is ok to run, it probably will be fine for normal driving. if however you are going to use your truck to carry heavy loads or towing a trailer, particularly in hilly or mountainous terrain, I would consider using the 89. In any case if you do not get any knocking, the fuel you are using should be fine.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:24 AM

Vehicle: 2012
Trim Level: express
Color: mineral grey
Rep:10
rammedifiknow is on a distinguished road
Default well.....

again, i have to say this. super. i have not had a single problem in over 17k. regardless of what the manual says. i mean why would any car company want your engine to burn cleaner, only means that they cant look for blown engines to replace. lol
Old 01-30-2013, 05:32 PM

Vehicle: 2012 RAM
Trim Level: R/T
Color: Bright White
Rep:312
Chris b is a jewel in the roughChris b is a jewel in the roughChris b is a jewel in the roughChris b is a jewel in the rough

I drive across town to the only place I can get the good stuff pure 93 and im running a 91 custom tune
K&N 63cai\Fastman 84mm\BT catch-can\e-fan\180 t-stat\Flowmaster super44\Belltech 2"-4" 964sp\BT custom shifter\20% tint\light blue racing stripes\BD pillar pod\Diablo trinity\Hemifever custom tune\two Memphis 10" subs\custom ported box\Memphis 600amp\Weathertech techliner\MBRP 5" tips\ ARH 1 7/8 long tube headers
Old 01-30-2013, 07:00 PM
BULLYS PERFORMANCE

Vehicle: MOPAR
Rep:931
Bully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris b View Post
I drive across town to the only place I can get the good stuff pure 93 and im running a 91 custom tune
I currently drive about 30 miles to get 93 however it is normally always on my way to wherever I am going or on my way back so it is no big deal to go get it, I have always ran 91 or 93 in all my gas vehicles regardless of what the manual says, and regardless of weather or not I am running a tune and have never had an issue.

Thanks
Jeremiah
Discount Auto Performance

ALSO Feel free to PM us, OR post in our Vendor Section for quotes/questions/assistance!
Old 01-30-2013, 08:13 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Bright Silver
Rep:10
12SRS is on a distinguished road

Burning 89 as that is what is recommened, that is of course until a 91 tune is done next year. Like to make sure that if there is any engine or drive line issues that they are taken care of under warranty. If something is seriously wrong it should happen in the first year or so. jmo
Old 02-01-2013, 02:09 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Silver
Rep:63
S.C. Express will become famous soon enough

I have tried it all... 87 with and without ethanol, 89 with and without ethanol, 91 with ethanol, 93 with and without ethanol. 87 with ethanol runs great for me, no engine noise even at high rpm's. Ambient temps make more of a difference than the fuel I am using on my untuned truck. I'll save my money and keep running 87 until I get a tuner and can see what all the hype is about.