DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-11-2013, 03:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Hemi express quad
Trim Level: ST express
Color: Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:195
RAM EM has a spectacular aura aboutRAM EM has a spectacular aura about
Default Getting stainless at your local muffler shop??

I'm looking into getting a magnaflow muffler and y-pipe on my truck. Called around to the local shops and they all say they don't use stainless cause it's too expensive and impractical . My question to everyone who's done this mod; did you get stainless or did you just go with the alumnized? I see alot of guys on here saying they've had this done for less than $100. That could'nt possibly w/ stainless, could it? The entire system on our trucks is stainless, correct? It just seems cheesy to me to put a piece of alumnized extension pipe on an otherwise all stainless system. Do I just live in the wrong town? Any feedback is much appreciated.

-DS Trinity- Hemifever tuned - 18" Magnaflow - BT catch can - 180 Tstat - 22" SRT10's - 305/45 Nitto 420 - SG 2/4 drop - blacked out heads/tinted tails - dechromed/debadged - 20% tint-
Sponsored links
Old 01-11-2013, 03:34 PM

Vehicle: 2012 ram 1500 4x4 express rcsb
Color: true blue pearl
Rep:101
browndawg will become famous soon enoughbrowndawg will become famous soon enough

a lot of guys on here use the mufflex system thats what i got they use the same grade of stainless as stock and the extension tubes is mandrel bent perfect fit just plug and play pricey though
Old 01-11-2013, 03:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Those shops likely don't have a MANDREL Pipe Bender either

Do you know of a coffee house or burger stand where Hot Rodders hang out or where they go to have that type of vehicle worked on ??

Hot Rodders insist on the best shops working on their pride & joys
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 01-11-2013, 10:44 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Hemi express quad
Trim Level: ST express
Color: Grey
Rep:195
RAM EM has a spectacular aura aboutRAM EM has a spectacular aura about

The mufflex is nice (and pricey), but it doesn't solve the y pipe situation. So it safe to assume that most guys getting the "60 dollar" weld job are getting alumnized pipe, copper core welds, and are not mandrel bent? How much do you think, assuming I can find a shop to do it, would mandrel bent, stainless pipe/weld job would run? If its going to be cazy expensive I might just skip the Y and get the mufflex kit.

-DS Trinity- Hemifever tuned - 18" Magnaflow - BT catch can - 180 Tstat - 22" SRT10's - 305/45 Nitto 420 - SG 2/4 drop - blacked out heads/tinted tails - dechromed/debadged - 20% tint-
Old 01-11-2013, 10:52 PM

Vehicle: 2012 RAM Sport CC 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:623
bighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to all

Get the mufflex and the magnaflow y pipe, part#10778. Both problems solved.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:05 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

You can order the bends and the pipe online then take it to them. I ordered my pipe but will be installing it myself. I also went with aluminized because I'm in florida and will redo my exhaust in a few years anyway.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:58 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Crew Cab 4X4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: True Blue Pearl
Rep:19
RamRocket is on a distinguished road

My local muffler shop installed the magnaflow 14 (part number 12198) along with stainless steel pipes custom bent to fit for $244.00 out the door. I would keep looking around.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:10 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

^the only problem with that is that "custom bent" means crush bent 99.9% of the time. Not that it's horrible, but it's worse than oem.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:03 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Rep:12
TNC is on a distinguished road

I think the aluminizied vs. ss may be more of an issue of where you live. I live in west Texas, so rust/corrosion isn't as big a deal. Plus, good aluminized pipe seems to be extremely resistant to corrosion. My old full size '89 GMC Jimmy 4X4 exhaust consisted of stainless Edelbrock tubular headers and pipe to the performance cat and then aluminized pipe to the end where it connects to a 3" X 5" stainless Supertrapp muffler on the end. That large piece of mandrel bent aluminized pipe going over the axle from the cat to the end may be the best looking condition piece of hardware in the exhaust system to this date. It was installed nearly 20 years ago. I sold that truck when I bought the Ram last year, but a neighbor still has it now. I wouldn't be that scared of aluminized pipe as long as it was mandrel bent.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:02 PM
BULLYS PERFORMANCE

Vehicle: MOPAR
Rep:931
Bully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to behold

We offer everything you need for this project from the cats back to the ypipe to the muffler check it out, you will need
1 YPipe
2 45 degree bends
2 90 degree bends

and either
1 14" Muffler
or
1 18" Muffler
or
1 22" Muffler

All items are manufactured by Magnaflow, if you are interested in purchasing everything you need for you project at the same time, send me a pm or message on our chat @ our online store with you postal code and I will get you a killer Bundle Price.

Thanks
Jeremiah
Discount Auto Performance

ALSO Feel free to PM us, OR post in our Vendor Section for quotes/questions/assistance!