DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-14-2013, 08:01 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 dodge ram 1500 2x4
Trim Level: express
Color: white
Rep:134
hodgeee will become famous soon enoughhodgeee will become famous soon enough
Default A little dissappointed with my Trinity

Now I know it is new, and there are to be some bugs, or is just my luck, cuase I haven't seen others complaining. I know I had seen advertising that you could adjust the shift firmness, adjust tire and gear sizes, and then there are the tunes. 87, 91 and 93 tunes, why no 89, plus I can't get 93 here in vegas. I will try the 91 tune as soon as I run out of my tank of 89 octane, but for now the 87 performance tune feels weaker than my stock tune. Plus running the drag tree, I have seen .2 seconds slower in the 0 to 60 and 1/4 mile. Driving around normally it feels better, but when I step on it, NADA! So I immediately put the stock tune back in, and BAM!!!! .2 second gain back in performance. Also isn't the torque management supposed to be turned off? Still feels dead from a standstill and can barely chirp the tires.

6.5 average 0 to 60 and 14.5 average 1/4 stock,
6.7 average 0 to 60 and 14.8 average 1/4 87 tune.

Does my stock times sound average for a RCSB Express with 3.55 gears plus intake and exhaust. I will report back on my 91 tune, but for now here are other problems.

No Gear change adjustment!?!?!?
Will not accept my 2" smaller tire adjustment, there is a adjustment in the tune for it, just will not accept it!?!?!?!
Will not accept the 1 to 2 rpm adjustment, but works fine on the 2 to 3 shift point!?!?!?!
Finally the monitoring guages are nice especially when you have the base gauges in the express, so now I can monitor things like, oil pressure, oil temp, tranny temp, and voltage. Gauges I all really like to have, but don't get except in special sports cars, or race cars. When I adjust the oil pressure gauge it just says 11.6 psi and freezes. All the other guages seem to work fine when programming them.

Now my old Predator unit on my 2006 GMC RCSB pickup, worked perfectly and had the shift firmness and shift speed adjustment, tire size adjust, plus rear gear adjustment. Why now doesn't this super advanced unit have it that now cost $600 compared to the older stuff I used to pay $300 for.

I am contacting Diablo in the next day or two to see what is up, but for the mean while, not too happy, but how else am I going to put the longtubes on, do the gear change and then get it dynoed. These were my planned future performance mods, then I was going to just enjoy the truck from then on. Hopefully HemiFever can program the rest of the things I want.
BellTech 2/4 Street Performer, Spohn PanhandRod, Hellwig Sways, Volant Intake(Donaldson Filter), 85MM Fastman Throttle body, 14" Magnaflow, T1000 w/Hemifever Tune, 180 T-stat, 4.10 Gear Swap, Edge Street Perf - 2600 Stall, Billet Catch Can, E-Fan Swap, ARH LongTubes
Sponsored links
Old 01-14-2013, 08:38 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3872
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Probably a simple data file upgrade will fix your problem.

For what it's worth, I'm reading more-n-more posts - here and other similar forums - that have the same tune as yours regarding the Trinity.

Growing pains indeed.

Grub out!
Old 01-14-2013, 12:08 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Color: Gray
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:31
BC18471 is on a distinguished road

I just installed the trinity over the weekend, and I am now about to spin the tires, but before I wasn't. However, I also thought that the truck would be faster. I only picked up .2 seconds in my 0-60. I figured that I will probably end up having HemiFever write me a tune. I have seen a lot of good things about his work.

Also, did you look in the quick adjust for the tire size adjustment? I saw it there...
Custom Katzkin leather, Magnaflow 14" with Y, Mopar CAI, Moroso Catch Can, 180* t-stat, Switchback Front turn signals, All LED lighting, Kenwood DNX6180, Cabin air filter, Smoked Tails and 3rd, Audiovox backup camera
Old 01-14-2013, 12:57 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram CC 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Black (PX8)
Rep:388
ONOutdoorsman is just really niceONOutdoorsman is just really niceONOutdoorsman is just really niceONOutdoorsman is just really nice

I have read that you need to use the Quick Adjust menu to update tire size among other settings. Diablo said they are working on an update.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:42 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:81
1500ram12 will become famous soon enough

the canned tunes aren't that strong with the trinity. and to get the most out of it without a custom tune you really need a good knowledge of how to use all the other adjustments that the trinity will allow you to do. The trinity is still very tempting for me to want to buy for the ability to adjust a whole lot more than only having canned tunes like I have with the bullydog. I have no knowledge on what would be the best adjustments when it comes to the trinity's features but I like the fact that you can. For now the bullydog is working for me and if you only plan on using canned tunes maybe look into the bullydog.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:21 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram CC 4x4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Sagebrush
Rep:87
kkreit01 will become famous soon enough

I really don't understand the "87" tune either --- when 89 is "recommended" for all 5.7 Hemis.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 dodge ram express
Color: black
Rep:10
htownrock is on a distinguished road

With my 93 tune i went from no wheel spin to a 30 ft burn take off with trac off and 5.9 0 to 60 time with 3.55 open diff .
Old 01-14-2013, 07:18 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:20
gopackgo69 is on a distinguished road

The 87 tune is for the people that want to run the cheaper gas. you can still use 89 on it and get slighty better performance.

With that being said I have always gotten much better mpg on the performance tune. I currently run the 91 tune with 93 fuel, mainly cause I was getting some knock on the 93 tune. With the 91 tune with 93 fuel I dont get any knock. And it does what I want performance wise from a canned tune.

I will be getting a hemifever tune next week when I have time off from work.
My only complaint with the trinty is there really isn't a "map or flowchart" for lack of a better word on how to use it and what the features and benefits are to adjusting the parameters. So it comes down to tribal knowledge on some of this stuff for the newer people to this.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:11 AM

Vehicle: 2012 dodge ram 1500 2x4
Color: white
Rep:134
hodgeee will become famous soon enoughhodgeee will become famous soon enough

Trinity emailed me back and had me send them my vin and calibration Id# to look into it.

But I swore they stated that you could adjust the shift firmness, and or speed of the shift, and then especially the 4.10 gears I bought. I wanted to make an appointment this weekend to have them installed, I had to order them from Dodge to get one to work on the 2012 model, no aftermarket one would fit I was told by the gear vendor(without modification,grinding)

I did adjust for tire size, and tried with the ratio and numbers of the tire, and then with the adjustment that goes by overall wheel diameter, tried several times as a matter of fact, it would just say, PCM did not take adjustment, and then it would continue me back to the last page of the tuner program.

Hopefully by tommorrow or so Diablo will send me maybe a revision, or fix for my issue.
BellTech 2/4 Street Performer, Spohn PanhandRod, Hellwig Sways, Volant Intake(Donaldson Filter), 85MM Fastman Throttle body, 14" Magnaflow, T1000 w/Hemifever Tune, 180 T-stat, 4.10 Gear Swap, Edge Street Perf - 2600 Stall, Billet Catch Can, E-Fan Swap, ARH LongTubes
Old 01-15-2013, 12:23 AM

Vehicle: 2012 RAM Sport CC 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:623
bighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgeee View Post
Now I know it is new, and there are to be some bugs, or is just my luck, cuase I haven't seen others complaining. I know I had seen advertising that you could adjust the shift firmness, adjust tire and gear sizes, and then there are the tunes. 87, 91 and 93 tunes, why no 89, plus I can't get 93 here in vegas. I will try the 91 tune as soon as I run out of my tank of 89 octane, but for now the 87 performance tune feels weaker than my stock tune. Plus running the drag tree, I have seen .2 seconds slower in the 0 to 60 and 1/4 mile. Driving around normally it feels better, but when I step on it, NADA! So I immediately put the stock tune back in, and BAM!!!! .2 second gain back in performance. Also isn't the torque management supposed to be turned off? Still feels dead from a standstill and can barely chirp the tires.

6.5 average 0 to 60 and 14.5 average 1/4 stock,
6.7 average 0 to 60 and 14.8 average 1/4 87 tune.

Does my stock times sound average for a RCSB Express with 3.55 gears plus intake and exhaust. I will report back on my 91 tune, but for now here are other problems.

No Gear change adjustment!?!?!?
Will not accept my 2" smaller tire adjustment, there is a adjustment in the tune for it, just will not accept it!?!?!?!
Will not accept the 1 to 2 rpm adjustment, but works fine on the 2 to 3 shift point!?!?!?!
Finally the monitoring guages are nice especially when you have the base gauges in the express, so now I can monitor things like, oil pressure, oil temp, tranny temp, and voltage. Gauges I all really like to have, but don't get except in special sports cars, or race cars. When I adjust the oil pressure gauge it just says 11.6 psi and freezes. All the other guages seem to work fine when programming them.

Now my old Predator unit on my 2006 GMC RCSB pickup, worked perfectly and had the shift firmness and shift speed adjustment, tire size adjust, plus rear gear adjustment. Why now doesn't this super advanced unit have it that now cost $600 compared to the older stuff I used to pay $300 for.

I am contacting Diablo in the next day or two to see what is up, but for the mean while, not too happy, but how else am I going to put the longtubes on, do the gear change and then get it dynoed. These were my planned future performance mods, then I was going to just enjoy the truck from then on. Hopefully HemiFever can program the rest of the things I want.
I ran 6.7 in a crew cab with 3.55, 4x4, 93 tune and my 320#. Halfway through I realized I wasnt all the way in the throttle so it probably would have been 6.5ish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130112_184805.jpg (106.3 KB, 21 views)