DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-15-2013, 03:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Laramie quad cab
Color: red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:52
98redbull2 will become famous soon enough
Default Truck acting up

the truck idles funny and spits and spudders and misses when you give it gas. if you put it in drive and give it gas it does not go anywhere it backfires out the exhaust and intake. But If you floor it it runs as if there was no problem goes through the rpm's with no problem. but anything other than that it backfires and spits and spudders. scanned it and these are the codes that came up.

p1683 speed control servo power control circuit

p1597 speed control switch always low

i replaced the pickup coil on the distributor and i replaced the crank sensor, these two sensors made the problem better but it still does it. i've come to the conclusion that it could be the ecm, what do you guys think????
Old 01-15-2013, 04:33 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

I think you need to rule out some other causes before condemning the PCM. What's the fuel pressure and volume look like? Has the plenum pan gasket ever been replaced? How old and what's the condition of the secondary ignition? Are the O2 sensors switching like they should or is one stuck at the same voltage all the time? Have you verified cam/crank timing? These are some of the things that could be causing your problem but certainly not all of them and they need to be checked as potential causes.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:19 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Laramie quad cab
Color: red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:52
98redbull2 will become famous soon enough

didnt hook up a fuel pressure tester but pressed the valve releif on the intake and pretty much spewed into my eyes. dont know if the plenum gasket has been replaced but i know it's good for a fact. the o2 sensors havent been plugged in for 10 years and has no catalytic converter. the truck runs normal as it should for a minute cold but gradually starts having this problem and if the cam and crank werent timed i dont think it would run ok for a minute or at full throttle at random. and what's the secondary ignition your referring too?
Old 01-15-2013, 05:39 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

You need to properly check fuel pressure and volume. You can get a face full of fuel from 5 psi and you system is designed to run at 49 psi. How did you verify the plenum pan gasket? The secondary ignition consists of the plugs, cap, rotor, wires and ignition coil. If this problem happens as the truck warms up, I can't help but think it has something to do with it going into closed loop where it should be using feedback from the O2 sensors to calculate the fuel curve.