DODGE RAM FORUM banner

2012 5.7 performance mods to tow trailer

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  TNC 
#1 ·
I have a 2012 ram and I tow a 7000lbs travel trailer. My fuel milage is cut in half when I tow it so I am looking to do some mods to help on this. I think I am going to get the S&B CAI with the ram air attachment. I have the factory duels now and just want to replace the muffler and remove the resonators so what muffler should I go with and also am thinking on a tuner and want to know what one I should go with? also is there any other mods I should do to help?

so:

1- muffler ?
2- Tuner ?
3- other?

thank you

#5 ·
tmac, have you been towing trailers, travel or otherwise, for very long..even with other vehicles? When you say the mileage is cut in half, I get about the same results towing my travel trailer with the hemi. However, it's half of the mileage on a truck that easily gets 18 highway mpg and can often get 20 mpg under ideal conditions. My last truck was highly modded and had about the same power as my hemi, but it only got about 15-17 mpg on the highway. However, it got about the same mpg towing the same trailer. It's somewhat logical as to why this occurs when you consider all the factors.

I did the air intake, and I have an additional inlet that brings more cool air into the airbox. I also have a Borla flowthrough muffler in place of the stock unit. I think there's a small increase in throttle response and maybe even at times when I really have my foot in it, a stronger pull up mountains with the trailer. I don't think it hurt or helped mpg, however. I wouldn't remove the resonators. I don't believe they have any flow resistance...just sound waves. I've seen two late model hemi Rams with the resonators removed, and I think they have an irritating, raspy noise rather than the pleasant rumble.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.