DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-29-2013, 05:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Sport 1500 True Blue
Rep:91
nikeman will become famous soon enough
Default quick 4x4 question

I read in the manual recently that you should press the neutral button before shifting into 4x4Low. I had not done this before so hopefully nothing is messed up..

Anyway, I just installed the lockpick and after putting everything back together I wanted to test everything I had unhooked just to make sure I didn't mess anything. I turned the knob to 4x4 and it worked like normal, then I pressed the neutral button to turn it to Low but the red light just blinked once and that was it. I tried holding it down and it just kept blinking, then I just turned it ot Low and the dash light for 4x4 Low was blinking. I have never paid attention to this before so I do not know if this is normal. Should the truck be in drive first or something? I am confused and hoping nothing is broken although I do not see how it can be since I just unplugged it and plugged it back in.

Ease my mind guys! lol
Sponsored links
Old 01-29-2013, 06:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big horn
Color: Blue
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Shield is on a distinguished road

Pretty sure when you go into 4 low the tranny should be in neutral. Vehicle stopped or a 2 mph roll. The neutral button is if you are going to tow your truck behind another vehicle.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:19 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2463
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute

It is certainly not the neutral button under the 4x4 switch that one will completely disconnect the drive train. I do remember something about having the transmission selector in neutral before attempting 4x4 low. I doubt you broke anything however there is a sequence that must be followed to get it into 4x4 low. For 4x4 high or auto you can do that while moving forward in drive.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:07 PM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:1178
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

4x4 low will not even engage if the transmission is not in neutral. The following procedure is for shifting to 4 low:

Stop

Leave foot on brake

Put transmission selector lever into N (Neutral)

Shift 4wd selector to 4x4 Low

Put transmission selector lever into D (Drive)

Release brake pedal

Have fun!

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Old 01-29-2013, 08:07 PM

I went all the way to 4x4 low while in park. When I went to 4x4 regular I could here it under the truck switching but I don't hear anything when going to low. I have attempted pulling out bushes in low but 4x4 lock worked a lot better so maybe I wasn't even in 4x4 those times? Lol. I always stop before switching to any 4x4 since there has never been a reason not to.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:08 PM
US Army Retired

ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

Also note you can shift from 2wd to 4wd Auto or 4wd Lock while moving at any speed up to 55mph. However you MUST BE STOPPED AND IN NEUTRAL WITH YOUR FOOT ON THE BRAKE to shift into 4 Low.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Old 01-29-2013, 08:11 PM

I was wondering what that neutral button was for. It makes sence now. I have never used 4low apparently. No wonder I couldn't get the bushes out that day until I tried 4lock!!
Old 01-29-2013, 08:17 PM

I was always worried that I or my wife would accidentally turn the knob to 4l trying to turn up the volume while driving and mess up everything. Glad to know that's not an issue
Old 01-29-2013, 08:43 PM
US Army Retired

You will hear a chime when the system shifts into 4 low, it will automatically disengage traction control (EVIC will read "ESP OFF") and you will see "4wd Low" illuminated on your cluster to the right of the speedometer. To the left of the speedometer will be a light that looks like a car skidding to signal your ESP has been disabled.

This allows your truck to get maximum power to each driving wheel without the ESP interfering with slipping.

If you were in 4 low, you would know it, because your truck would drive VERY differently. The lower gear ratio (numerically higher) in the transfer case would make the truck feel very heavy. You would be hard pressed to accelerate past 10-15mph without freaking out like you were going to break something, and the shift out of first gear will almost give you whip-lash if you arent ready for it. All is normal

Also, an important note, when in 4wd (except 4wd Auto) Do not make any sharp turns on a solid surface. This will cause the drivetrain to bind up and your wheels to "hop" in the turns. Try to keep it straight or very easy turns unless you are in a slippery situation (Mud snow or sand) where the tires will not drag. You can pop the gear chain drive in the transfer case ($$$$$), Break a half-shaft/Axle ($$$$) or crack a tooth of a ring and pinion ($$$). Its important that you educate yourself and anyone who uses your truck's 4wd on proper do's and dont's. Please know that this hopping sensation is a normal characteristic of any 4wd, and if you do it once or twice you probably didn't hurt anything, just dont make a habit of it. If you want, put it in 4x4 lock and attempt a u-turn in a circle, you will feel exactly what I mean.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:29 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2463
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyofOne View Post
You will hear a chime when the system shifts into 4 low, it will automatically disengage traction control (EVIC will read "ESP OFF") and you will see "4wd Low" illuminated on your cluster to the right of the speedometer. To the left of the speedometer will be a light that looks like a car skidding to signal your ESP has been disabled.

This allows your truck to get maximum power to each driving wheel without the ESP interfering with slipping.

If you were in 4 low, you would know it, because your truck would drive VERY differently. The lower gear ratio (numerically higher) in the transfer case would make the truck feel very heavy. You would be hard pressed to accelerate past 10-15mph without freaking out like you were going to break something, and the shift out of first gear will almost give you whip-lash if you arent ready for it. All is normal

Also, an important note, when in 4wd (except 4wd Auto) Do not make any sharp turns on a solid surface. This will cause the drivetrain to bind up and your wheels to "hop" in the turns. Try to keep it straight or very easy turns unless you are in a slippery situation (Mud snow or sand) where the tires will not drag. You can pop the gear chain drive in the transfer case ($$$$$), Break a half-shaft/Axle ($$$$) or crack a tooth of a ring and pinion ($$$). Its important that you educate yourself and anyone who uses your truck's 4wd on proper do's and dont's. Please know that this hopping sensation is a normal characteristic of any 4wd, and if you do it once or twice you probably didn't hurt anything, just dont make a habit of it. If you want, put it in 4x4 lock and attempt a u-turn in a circle, you will feel exactly what I mean.
^^^^ An excellent post for 4X4 owners ^^^^