DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-21-2013, 09:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: '05 Quad cab, 4.7l 4x4
Trim Level: Standard
Color: Black
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
chaccof is on a distinguished road
Default Replacing Steering Gear/Rack & Pinion

My '05 1500 4x4 with 110k needs a new rack and pinion. I plan to install this coming weekend. Have purchased Moog Problem Solver tie rods - figured I might as well do those while I'm in there.

I have not changed out a R&P before and everything I read tells me I need to flush the PS fluid - makes perfect sense. Here's where I'm confused and where my ignorance might show - I'm assuming I do the flush before I install the new unit, right? Wouldn't make sense to me to flush old fluid through the new rack...

Thanks in advance for any thoughts here. Also, if there are any hidden gotcha's that I should know about please share!
Sponsored links
Old 01-21-2013, 09:53 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Archaea is on a distinguished road

Mine is 2wd so none of this may apply to you, but I had to file down a couple of the bolt housing shoulders on my replacement rack because they were rubbing a frame cross-member.

I also had to buy some large washers to act as spacers where the rack bolted to the frame. I think these problems were the result of me buying the cheapest aftermarket rack I could find. Lesson learned.

As far as flushing, I just emptied as much of the fluid as I could from the pump and hoses while the rack was off the truck. I'm not sure an actual flush would be needed but I could be wrong.

Good luck with it!
Old 01-22-2013, 07:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2008 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Red
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:20
440Magnum is on a distinguished road

Remove the old rack, and drain as much fluid from the pump as you can. Raise the return (low pressure) hose above the level of the pump, then pour in some fresh fluid, let that drain through the pump and out the high pressure hose. Should be good to go at that point. If you want extra insurance, crank it up for a few seconds and let the fluid spray all over the place from the high pressure hose. ;-)
Old 02-02-2013, 05:29 PM

Update - started the work this morning. Went well until attempting to connect the steering column to the new steering gear. Messed around with it for 90 minutes or so, then decided to stop for the day and relook at it tomorrow. Any tips/tricks? I feel like I aligned the male end of the steering gear pretty well to the female end of the column but no luck. I notice that the column has an additional screw at the top that seperates the middle piece from the piece of column that goes into the firewall. I wonder why I can't pull that off then fit the steering gear to the bottom of the middle piece, then fit the top of the middle piece to the column? Seems like it might be easier to line up those two pieces v. the steering gear stub and column piece....
Old 02-03-2013, 07:58 PM

Final update - friend who's a heavy machinery mechanic for CAT came over - I had the stud from the gear about 5 degrees off from center so the steering column wouldn't quite go...he got it aligned and a light tap from a hammer onto a piece of wood drove the column down. I finished it all up and am generally happy. Steering wheel is about 10 degrees off center but I'll be getting an alignment and that should take care of that.

One slight possible issue I noticed after the initial test drive is that it appears that the steering column coupler is resting against a metal frame plate and it seems to have taken the paint off - but no noticable groove. I'll keep an eye on that. If it does appear to be cutting into the metal I think I can grind off a little of the plate.

As a very basic shade tree mechanic this was by far the most difficult job I've ever done - tougher than replacing a water pump on a 2001 Saab which was the toughest job up until this one...
Old 02-05-2013, 12:14 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Blue
Rep:152
TankGod78 has a spectacular aura aboutTankGod78 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to TankGod78

I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 QuadCab and will doing the same job to my truck this upcoming weekend as well. Man, this is gonna suck big time. As you said you were, I too am a very basic type of mechanic. I hope it goes well. I will have a friend over as well to help.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:23 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankGod78 View Post
I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 QuadCab and will doing the same job to my truck this upcoming weekend as well. Man, this is gonna suck big time. As you said you were, I too am a very basic type of mechanic. I hope it goes well. I will have a friend over as well to help.
Don't sweat it. It's an easy repair. Don't foget to have an alignment done afterward.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamTech View Post
Don't sweat it. It's an easy repair. Don't foget to have an alignment done afterward.

I didnt know to do that aferwards. Thanks I will get it done.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:38 PM

Default 2 month Update

Well, had the truck aligned - didn't tell the shop I did the work myself and asked them to check to make sure it was done right - they said it look good, were even impressed with the clamps I used....last Monday night while coming home from work I had what I'd call a catastrophic failure of the new (reconditioned) part - right seal gave out completely - lost all fluid and of course lost steering....had to get towed to a local shop. $700 bucks later it's fixed again. I didn't have the time to do it myself this time....The guys at Advanced Auto where I bought the part were pretty good but refused to reimburse me for the labor. Boy am I p*ssed off....
Old 03-29-2013, 10:38 PM

I did mine about 1 month ago and it seems to be doing ok so far. No leaks of anykind. I look at it everyday when I get home from work. I bought my R&P from Orielly's. Used my buddies empolyee discount and got it for $129.00 (after the core charged was returned). Pretty happy so far.