DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-25-2013, 06:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: PRV
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
Alfisto Steve is on a distinguished road
Default Info on trailer tow package for 2000 Ram 1500

My son and I are trying to get my 2000 Ram 1500 ready to tow a enclosed car trailer with electric brakes.

My truck is factory wired for 7-pin (7-Way RV Blade Style) plug at factory hitch. So I also have extra trailer tow package oil cooler in front of radiator, too.

My one owner truck came to me from my neighbor with factory trailer tow kit 56021043AD wiring kit which contains 56019824 7-pin to 4-pin adapter (which I have been using for couple years) for small utlity trailer towing and 56020142AB electric brake installation wire harness to plug in to factory wiring connector under dash near parking brake lever. It is to hook up a aftermarket electric brake controller which is mounted under the dash.

I haven't ever had to tow a car trailer with electric brakes before as we have only used trailers with hydraulic surge brakes.

We are not going to have to use that wiring harness because we got a 22281 Draw-Tite Dual Plug control wiring adapter for plug & play connection to the factory connector under dash and then directly to a 5500 Draw-Tite Activator II Electonic Trailer Brake Controller.

I had to replace a blown 40A Trailer Tow fuse in the Power Distribution Center (PDC) next to battery under the hood to power the trailer tow package relay in same PDC. That fuse sends power to both the relay for the trailer running lights and trailer brake controller.

It is 29F and snowing now so we can't proof out our system install this weekend but we hope to have rig ready to go by next Thursday so we can make a run to Philly to swap out a 86 Maserati w/AT for a 87 Maserati w/5-speed.

Stay tuned.

Last edited by Alfisto Steve; 01-25-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Sponsored links