I bought the Mag-Hytec Diff cover for the rear axle, but was disappointed I couldn't find one for the front.
I like the extra capacity and magnetic drain plug features, so I decided to modify my stock front diff with a drain to make it easier to service.
After driving the truck onto the ramps, I removed the front diff cover. Here's a shot of the parts used. Diff cover, 1/2" X 3/8" NPT reducing bushing, 3/8" NPT plug. Ignore the magnet, I could not attach it to the plug reliably:
Here's the oxy-acetylene torch & Dremel tool used to make the hole for the drain:
The raw hole, painted silver to show the details better:
Dry fitting the drain, viewed from the inside:
Dry-fitting, viewed from the outside:
Welded, painted & curing in the parts oven (an old Weber grill):
Yeah my welds stink, but I'm getting better!
Here's the final install, after refill and test drive - NO LEAKS!!!
Still have to drop the front skidplate to change the fluid, but no more messy gear oil spills. I'm looking into a magnetic drain plug to install at the next gear oil change.
I like the function and the drain is low on the cover to fully drain the fluid. However, the plumbing fittings look out-of-place on the stamped steel diff cover. In retrospect, machine fittings would look better.
Also, I gotta weld A LOT MORE to improve technique & outcome.
Thanks for looking.