DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, 4x4, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lifting Springs, Body Lifts, Strut Braces, etc.

Vendor Highlight! - Check these guys out for great deals on Parts and Accessories!
Total Load Control!
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
FGT Motorsport
Bayou Goat Mounts
Mopar Online Parts!

Old 07-14-2016, 03:59 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2015
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Maximum Steel Metallic
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:31
Witch is on a distinguished road
Default Hellwig Lifted Rear Sway Bar

Put on the Hellwig 7883 rear lifted sway bar kit

https://www.amazon.com/Hellwig-7883-.../dp/B011BER92K

Installation was a straight forward and took about an hour and a half.
Have to say to the rear has completely different characteristics.
Just seems to really hold the road at speed. Going over speed bumps on an angel is always a coffee flinging experience, this bar does not even break a sweat, you hardly even notice it. At least in the rear end.

Problem is now the front end has noticeably more sway than the rear. Don't get me wrong, the truck handles a lot better, but I was afraid the front would not be as good when challenges with bumps and uneven Terran. I wanted to get a set for both front and back but could not find a front swat bar for a lifted 4x4 Ram 1500 ? please if anyone knows where I could get one a link would be appreciated.

End game though the truck is night and day around corners, gives you a feeling of confidence taking corners at speed.

Sponsored links
Old 07-15-2016, 11:09 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Bright Silver
Rep:16
evolflesti is on a distinguished road

Hey Mr. Witch,

I have a question for you. Have you taken the truck out on the highway around turns? I'm particularly interested in your opinion regarding body roll around curves at about 70+ mph. Also interested in highway speed curves that have a bump in the road. How does it handle in these situations? Also, did your truck come with a stock sway bar?

Thanks man.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:57 AM

Jury is still out on that type of driving, however i will report back with in a week or so.
around town over bumps and around corners it really performs

Yes it did come with a stock one and that is the one I replaced. The Hellwig is a tad thicker but is solid as opposed to the stock tubular design. Also the drop rods on the lifted version of this sway bar kit are thicker than the Rough country or the stock drop bars

Old 07-18-2016, 11:24 AM

Trim Level: Tradesman
Color: White
Rep:83
spamPALA will become famous soon enough

I know Rams are a whole different machine, especially with the multi-link rear suspension but I'm curious if you have any tailgate problems on uneven surfaces after tightening up the rear sway situation?

Like along these lines
?
Old 07-18-2016, 12:37 PM

Not that I have noticed, however I have not tested to the same level as these cats are.

Just notice less roll going over curbs and speed bumps along with better cornering characteristics.

Old 09-10-2016, 11:42 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Rep:10
radkawi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch View Post
Put on the Hellwig 7883 rear lifted sway bar kit

https://www.amazon.com/Hellwig-7883-.../dp/B011BER92K

Installation was a straight forward and took about an hour and a half.
Have to say to the rear has completely different characteristics.
Just seems to really hold the road at speed. Going over speed bumps on an angel is always a coffee flinging experience, this bar does not even break a sweat, you hardly even notice it. At least in the rear end.

Problem is now the front end has noticeably more sway than the rear. Don't get me wrong, the truck handles a lot better, but I was afraid the front would not be as good when challenges with bumps and uneven Terran. I wanted to get a set for both front and back but could not find a front swat bar for a lifted 4x4 Ram 1500 ? please if anyone knows where I could get one a link would be appreciated.

End game though the truck is night and day around corners, gives you a feeling of confidence taking corners at speed.

If I am not mistaken, the Hellwig 7708 is for the front. Uses your existing end links and it too is solid. Just finished my lift and am researching both front and rear bars now. The modding never ends! They are posted for sale on eBay and Amazon too.
Old 09-30-2016, 03:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab
Trim Level: express
Color: white
jleslie48 is on a distinguished road

cool I found someone who installed the hellwig 7883. I was recommended this for my otherwise stock 2016 Ram 1500 quad cab 4wd, 5.7hemi 6' 4" bed truck to stop my travel trailer from fish tailing at speeds over 60 mph. As I'm a noob to working on cars, I have some questions and need of baby steps on installing this thing. first off,
1) will this do the job of controlling fishtailing of my trailer? I have a factory installed class IV hitch on it, and tow the 13' trailer on a ball hitch.

2) How do I attach this thing? I have a ratchet set, and wrenches, but I've never really worked on cars before, it seems simple enough, but I can't find any real instructions for this thing anywhere online

3) can I get some real good close-up pictures of what I need to screw and unscrew? On the truck I mean.

TIA
Old 09-30-2016, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleslie48 View Post
cool I found someone who installed the hellwig 7883. I was recommended this for my otherwise stock 2016 Ram 1500 quad cab 4wd, 5.7hemi 6' 4" bed truck to stop my travel trailer from fish tailing at speeds over 60 mph. As I'm a noob to working on cars, I have some questions and need of baby steps on installing this thing. first off,
1) will this do the job of controlling fishtailing of my trailer? I have a factory installed class IV hitch on it, and tow the 13' trailer on a ball hitch.

2) How do I attach this thing? I have a ratchet set, and wrenches, but I've never really worked on cars before, it seems simple enough, but I can't find any real instructions for this thing anywhere online

TIA
"fish tailing" ? Can you elaborate a bit? If you find that your trailer starts wagging back and forth at highway speeds and doesn't stop unless you accelerate hard or slow way down, the usual cause of that is improper weight distribution. See if you can move weight forward while staying within tongue weight guidelines, especially anything heavy that's loaded aft of the trailer axle(s) - that will make the greatest difference on a trailer that's wagging like an excited dog.

As for the physical work of replacing the rear sway bar, easier than an oil change. You remove the four bolts that retain the bar to the rear axle, and the two nuts that secure its ends to the end links aft of the axle.

http://i.imgur.com/ew2uMPN.jpg

I am working from memory here but I think it's 14mm or 15mm for the bolts and 17mm or 18mm for the end link nuts. Maybe 19mm?

I want to stress though that if your trailer is well within the truck's rated capacity and the wag is caused by less than optimal load distribution, a sway bar won't meaningfully help with that. If the trailer is "leading" the rear of the truck around corners then a sway bar can help a little, and if the whole truck/trailer assembly "rocks" slowly like 2x/second or slower at highway speeds and hard acceleration doesn't change anything about it, then the sway bar can have a pretty good effect.

Last edited by spamPALA; 09-30-2016 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-30-2016, 05:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab
Trim Level: express
Color: white
jleslie48 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by spamPALA View Post
"fish tailing" ? Can you elaborate a bit? If you find that your trailer starts wagging back and forth at highway speeds and doesn't stop unless you accelerate hard or slow way down, the usual cause of that is improper weight distribution. See if you can move weight forward while staying within tongue weight guidelines, especially anything heavy that's loaded aft of the trailer axle(s) - that will make the greatest difference on a trailer that's wagging like an excited dog.

As for the physical work of replacing the rear sway bar, easier than an oil change. You remove the four bolts that retain the bar to the rear axle, and the two nuts that secure its ends to the end links aft of the axle.

http://i.imgur.com/ew2uMPN.jpg

I am working from memory here but I think it's 14mm or 15mm for the bolts and 17mm or 18mm for the end link nuts. Maybe 19mm?

I want to stress though that if your trailer is well within the truck's rated capacity and the wag is caused by less than optimal load distribution, a sway bar won't meaningfully help with that. If the trailer is "leading" the rear of the truck around corners then a sway bar can help a little, and if the whole truck/trailer assembly "rocks" slowly like 2x/second or slower at highway speeds and hard acceleration doesn't change anything about it, then the sway bar can have a pretty good effect.
Great info and pic thanks!

" If you find that your trailer starts wagging back and forth at highway speeds" Yes that is what I mean, I called that fish-tailing.

"the usual cause of that is improper weight distribution." I agree. I've tried shifting the weight quite a bit, I even went so far as to add 6 5-gallon tanks to the tongue, aka, 250 lbs. to act as a harmonic dampener/tow weight. This helps a bit but I'm still seeing fish-tailing when I hit a bump or the road makes a significant bend when traveling above 60mph.
the trailer is extremely short: 13' and very top heavy (see pic.) It weighs around 2000lb, and if load distsribution was really an issue I should of seen a must more significant improvement by adding 250lbs to the tow (see pic 02.) Either way, I've moved all the baggage forward of the axle and still happy dog (aka, fish-tailing, aka wagging.)

Now I took a look under my truck and I see it already has a factory sway bar, so I'm beginning to doubt whether replacing it (or adding a second one???) will do anything. It was the #1 suggestion I've heard from after market truck truck supply store (caps and trailers and stuff) and from "experienced" RV-ers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P6240005-4608.jpg (126.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160724_1250ballst.jpg (84.3 KB, 6 views)
Old 09-30-2016, 05:58 PM

Looks like a cozy and gas-friendly home away from home!

Sounds like you've done your homework on weight distribution; and at only 2000lbs I don't feel like there's any likelihood that your truck's OEM sway bar isn't sufficient to keep that from throwing the truck around.

If we assume that weight distribution is not the problem then the trailer's propensity to wag or fishtail has to be either that its suspension is extremely sloppy (no resistance to hysteresis) or it's light enough relative to its surface area that the truck's wake and its own wake are just blowing it around like a loose tarp.

Have you inspected the shocks and suspension bushings under the trailer and played with its tire air pressure?

I'd hate to see you throw money at the problem with a sway bar and not fix it.

Last edited by spamPALA; 09-30-2016 at 06:51 PM.