DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, 4x4, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lifting Springs, Body Lifts, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
FGT Motorsport
Bayou Goat Mounts
Mopar Online Parts!

Old 11-23-2015, 05:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Black out Express
Color: Black
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:10
qb10jvt is on a distinguished road
Default Shop said I shouldn't put Bils in the front with 4" lift

I had a shop tell me today that he wouldn't recommend putting bilsteins in the front of my truck (set a .07) with a zone 4" lift with 3" rear coils. He said the angles wouldn't be right for the axle and the ball joints would wear prematurely. Has anyone else been told this or this guy full of it?
Sponsored links
Old 11-23-2015, 06:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500/2016 Ram
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl/Delmonico Red pearl
Rep:2705
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Have you considered FOX shocks with your lift ??

http://www.socalsupertrucks.com/fox-...x#.VlS8gWBdEfg

The Ram Runner had Fox internal bypass shocks
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) , 3.55 differential, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau, Line_X, DEBO Step, Mag-Hytec

2016 Ram 3.0 diesel undergoing Mods G2 tonneau, Line-X, Weathertech mats, Mag-Hytec differential cover

Last edited by GTyankee; 11-23-2015 at 06:42 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:02 PM
Bazinga!!

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Rep:141
MissouriRam will become famous soon enoughMissouriRam will become famous soon enough

I believe what he was referencing is the Upper Control Arms... It's a good idea to replace those while the rest of the truck is torn apart and when they throw the truck up for alignment, you'll kill two birds with one stone.

If that's ALL he said and didn't give you any other options, I'd say he's full of it and you should find someone reputable to install your lift from.

Bils are certainly going to be the cheapest route to go, however there is always the more expensive Fox option. I'd recommend Zone Upper Control Arms. There are a few others making UCA's, however I believe the others may have started to experience some quality control issues recently.

Make use of our site sponsor Revel Performance or Auto Anything. Andrew at Revel will get you fixed up in no time and can certainly shed light on all your options. Good luck and let us know what you decide!!
20% Front Window Tint, Roll-N-Loc Bed Cover, Amp Research PowerStep/BedStep (Pics), AVS Low Profile Visors (Install Thread), Rigid 30" RDS LED Bar and Grille (Install Thread), 2600lm Philips Luxeon LED Headlight/3600lm Cree MK-R LED Foglight/1600lm Reverse Light LED (Install Thread), 295/65/20 Nitto Trail Grapplers & 20x10 Fuel D251 Rims (Pics), Zone 4" Lift with 3" rear coils, Zone UCA's (Pics) & Bilstein 5100's set at .07, MBRP Exhaust (Video). New users, jump in and get involved. Learn about rep points here (Rep Points Explained) and our Member of the Month thread (MOTM Thread).

Last edited by MissouriRam; 11-23-2015 at 08:05 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriRam View Post
I believe what he was referencing is the Upper Control Arms... It's a good idea to replace those while the rest of the truck is torn apart and when they throw the truck up for alignment, you'll kill two birds with one stone.

If that's ALL he said and didn't give you any other options, I'd say he's full of it and you should find someone reputable to install your lift from.

Bils are certainly going to be the cheapest route to go, however there is always the more expensive Fox option. I'd recommend Zone Upper Control Arms. There are a few others making UCA's, however I believe the others may have started to experience some quality control issues recently.

Make use of our site sponsor Revel Performance or Auto Anything. Andrew at Revel will get you fixed up in no time and can certainly shed light on all your options. Good luck and let us know what you decide!!
Thats what I was planning on doing! I agree I think its worth killing two birds with one stone. I just emailed Andrew so ill let you know what he says and what I end up doing.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
Have you considered FOX shocks with your lift ??

http://www.socalsupertrucks.com/fox-...x#.VlS8gWBdEfg

The Ram Runner had Fox internal bypass shocks
I haven't looked at the coilovers for the front. Only the 2.0s for the rear. They are a little bit more cost friendly.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 CC SPORT 4X4
Trim Level: SPORT
Color: SILVER
jake2544 is on a distinguished road

It's not a matter of putting Bilstien's on the front with the lift. He's referring to you setting them at any other height that zero on the Bilstien's. The lift itself is already compensating and keeping as close to factory angles as possible. Adding more lift on top of that will alter the angles and cause problems. Use the Bilstien's but keep them set to zero .
Old 11-24-2015, 10:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake2544 View Post
It's not a matter of putting Bilstien's on the front with the lift. He's referring to you setting them at any other height that zero on the Bilstien's. The lift itself is already compensating and keeping as close to factory angles as possible. Adding more lift on top of that will alter the angles and cause problems. Use the Bilstien's but keep them set to zero .
With the bilsteins set at 0 will this change the height of the front end of the truck at all compared to the stock shocks? Im really just trying to prevent too big of a rake while improving drivability and performance.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:25 AM
Bazinga!!

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Rep:141
MissouriRam will become famous soon enoughMissouriRam will become famous soon enough

What's the point to add Bilstein 5100's if you're going to keep them at stock height? They have another series, aka 4600, if you're not looking for the ability to level the truck out.... they are cheaper and more readily available since they aren't as in demand.

You're fine to add the lift and fine to add Bilsteins set at .07 to level the truck out..... at the end of the day, you're talking about .07 here, that's not going to hurt your truck or severely impact the longevity of it either.

Quote:
20% Front Window Tint, Roll-N-Loc Bed Cover, Amp Research PowerStep/BedStep (Pics), AVS Low Profile Visors (Install Thread), Rigid 30" RDS LED Bar and Grille (Install Thread), 2600lm Philips Luxeon LED Headlight/3600lm Cree MK-R LED Foglight/1600lm Reverse Light LED (Install Thread), 295/65/20 Nitto Trail Grapplers & 20x10 Fuel D251 Rims (Pics), Zone 4" Lift with 3" rear coils, Zone UCA's (Pics) & Bilstein 5100's set at .07, MBRP Exhaust (Video). New users, jump in and get involved. Learn about rep points here (Rep Points Explained) and our Member of the Month thread (MOTM Thread).

Last edited by MissouriRam; 11-25-2015 at 12:27 AM.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 CC SPORT 4X4
Trim Level: SPORT
Color: SILVER
jake2544 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by qb10jvt View Post
With the bilsteins set at 0 will this change the height of the front end of the truck at all compared to the stock shocks? Im really just trying to prevent too big of a rake while improving drivability and performance.
No, the height will not change if set on the first ring which is zero lift. Superlift sells their kits with Bilstien's as an upgrade option to give you a better ride, they strongly advise to not set the shocks above zero. Anything above that will alter angles even if only a little.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
No, the height will not change if set on the first ring which is zero lift. Superlift sells their kits with Bilstien's as an upgrade option to give you a better ride, they strongly advise to not set the shocks above zero. Anything above that will alter angles even if only a little.
Got it. That makes sense. Thanks ill keep you guys posted. It sounds like it would make more sense to just go with the super lift with the upgraded bilsteins all around then. Rather than getting the zone kit and adding the bils myself. The only thing the zone kit has that I like is the upgraded UCAs. Can you guys tell me what the benefits really are of upgrading the UCAs? Is it worth the money?

Last edited by qb10jvt; 11-25-2015 at 07:28 PM.