DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-27-2013, 09:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

my '09 quad cab with the full center console, close to the shifter the outlet is only on with the key
the one in my upper seat console is always hot
i don't know about the one at the very back of the console, it is only handy for rear seat passengers
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Sponsored links
Old 01-27-2013, 11:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:143
Edokdyshi will become famous soon enoughEdokdyshi will become famous soon enough

There are 3 power outlets in my '12 Sport, in center console, top part of storage area, and back of center console. the only one that is hot always is the one in the top part of the storage area. The other 2 only turn on with the key.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:32 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500 CC 4X4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Black
Rep:71
topgun will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRAM View Post
On my 1500 QC, the 12v power outlet at the shifter is only hot when the key (fob) is ON/RUN or in the ACC position.

The 12v outlet under the lid of the center console is always hot...meaning even when the key (fob) is not present.
My 2012 2500 Crew with floor console works the same. Pretty sure the one on the back of the console is switched. An easy way to tell how it is supposed to work is by the label on the outlet cover. The switched outlets show a key. Hot all the time will have a picture of a battery.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:38 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Sport Reg Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport Reg Cab
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Rep:186
rdsabin has a spectacular aura aboutrdsabin has a spectacular aura about

This is from the 2012 OM:
ELECTRICAL POWER OUTLETS
The auxiliary 12 Volt (13 Amp) power outlets can provide
power for in-cab accessories designed for use with the
standard “cigar lighter” plug. The 12 Volt power outlets
have a cap attached to the outlet indicating “12V DC”,
together with either a key symbol or a battery symbol.
A key symbol indicates that the key must be in the
ON/RUN or ACC positions for the outlet to provide
power. The battery symbol indicates that the outlet is
connected to the battery, and can provide power at all
times.
NOTE: To ensure proper operation a MOPAR knob
and element must be used.

So as you can see Dodge designed your outlets to work the way they are. I am sure it is to prevent you from forgetting to unplug an item and running your battery down.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: Mega Cab
Rep:10
kaos2be is on a distinguished road

Thanx for the replies, its a 1500 laramie long horn. The power outlet, its the one on the center console just to the right of the shifter. There is a little pocket just to the right of the shifter that the outlet sits in. I think there was a cigerette light in the outlet when I purchased the truck. Anyone else have this same issue? Once again thanks for the replies.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I remember reading somewhere that using the switch powered front power receptacle/cigarette lighter socket for extended periods of time, or when trying to recharge something like a camera battery, can quickly blow the fuse in that receptacle

On the other hand, the receptacle in the arm rest console is always hot & can be used for extended periods of time with no damage
================================================== ==
as a side note:
When i purchase a product like a Garmin NUVI, i also make sure that i also have a charger for the cigarette lighter & a 115 volt charger. The cigarette lighter receptacle seems to be a quicker charger
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 01-29-2013, 02:42 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Black Diamond
Rep:25
Black Diamond 357 is on a distinguished road

Even if my truck is running my outlet does not work until I push the button to activate it.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:32 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 sport quad
Color: deep cherry red
Rep:-11
pdrules can only hope to improve

u guys are all confused some talkin the 12v dc ports some talkin the 110v ac port 2 different deals....i never tried the ac port yet someday ill find a purpose for that always nice to have options...my dads ford doesnt have it
Old 01-29-2013, 01:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4x4 Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Red
Rep:40
Designflaw is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaos2be View Post
Thanx for the replies, its a 1500 laramie long horn. The power outlet, its the one on the center console just to the right of the shifter. There is a little pocket just to the right of the shifter that the outlet sits in. I think there was a cigerette light in the outlet when I purchased the truck. Anyone else have this same issue? Once again thanks for the replies.
The one in the pocket next to the Shifter is "Keyed" per the symbol on it and most of the correct conversation here. My problem is, I do not have one in the armrest up storage. There is a round lid like an outlet, but it is a USB.

So I can't find one that stays on either -
Old 01-29-2013, 06:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: Mega Cab
Rep:10
kaos2be is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the replies. I finally found the power outlet. It is located in the center console under the arm rest. There are two storage areas. There is a thin storage area directly under the arm rest and a larger storage are on the bottom. The power outlet is located in the thin or smaller storage area. It is on the front right side of the storage. There is a battery symbol on cover. Thanks again for all the replies and help. I greatly appreciate it. Thanks again!