DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-28-2013, 10:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Rep:13
s1000rrhp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseMan View Post
Hey guys-think about this. I believe you can completely de-activate the air suspension, meaning the truck stays at normal ride height all the time. Some people simply aren't going to use it all the time, and there are various reasons you'd want to de-activate (for example, with a weight distribution hitch). If you de-activate it, would the system still go into "protection mode"? From reading an article in motor trend, the system does not monitor weight, it is only meant to monitor the level of the truck...the air suspension is simply a load leveling add on.

If you got the coil springs and added your own air bags, Chrysler could say you voided warranty just the same (if, for example, you have a cracked axle, a rear diff problem, or another similar problem associated by overloading...

Just food for thought.
Warrenty law says they must prove that the aftermarket part caused the problem. Having aftermarket airbags will be hard to prove you were overweight. The air suspension however will tell chrysler you are overweight and could void lots of warrenty.. such as engine, transmission, axel, rear diff.... and the list goes on and on and on... would not want to go down that road... have enough issues on my own with electronics.
Sponsored links
Old 01-28-2013, 11:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Sport
Rep:10
bigshaq906 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl-z View Post
With the air suspension, is there the ability to see the actual payload weight? Has anyone managed to exceed their payload and had the vehicle notify them? Anyone experience "protection mode" as a result of excessive payload?
----> X2 on this
Old 01-28-2013, 11:51 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram CrewCab
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
merve04 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseMan View Post
If you de-activate it, would the system still go into "protection mode"? From reading an article in motor trend, the system does not monitor weight, it is only meant to monitor the level of the truck...the air suspension is simply a load leveling add on.

Curious, how do you disable it?
Old 01-29-2013, 02:31 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram
Color: Black
Rep:20
2013Sport is on a distinguished road

I didn't want it in my Ram simply because I had it on the LR3 I traded in.

At first, it's all fun and games showing all your friends how it goes up and down, getting all excited about going off-road again just to hit that button and go over a small bump. I say small cause 2'' in the bedroom can be a lot but on a truck... meh won't make it go that much further. loll But after a couple of years when solenoids start going out, air line start leaking and there's no more warranty... not so fun.

Also, when your off-roading and a rock gets wedge into an air bag and rips it... not covered by the warranty and from the dealer they aren't cheap. Happened to me twice, I was considering changing the suspension over to a coil-over kit and trust me that areo mode ain't going to give you an extra mpg.

Another note, no big tires and no lift kits. Sure bigger tires will fit in off-road mode but once it goes back down after 80 clicks... hello fender rub. Although, they might have something similar to jackson rods for an lr3. Basically new height sensor rods to trick the truck so it's in off-road mode 2 all the time.

Just my .02 cents.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:43 AM

Vehicle: 2013 1500, CC/6'4", Hemi/8 spd
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Flame Red
Rep:352
DAA is just really niceDAA is just really niceDAA is just really niceDAA is just really nice

I'm not interested in leaving mine stock. It will have new tires and wheels on it before I even pull into my driveway for the first time.

Warranty issues do concern me though. My experience with lots of warranty work done on my last three Dodge trucks is that the particular dealer makes a LOT of difference. What some dealers will repair under warranty without a question asked, others won't touch.

Like I said though, I've had lots of warranty work done on my trucks - from replaced transmission to replaced turbos (twice, on my current ride...), to replaced shocks, to replaced drivelines, etc., etc. I've got a really good relationship with the service manager and the service writers at the dealer I plan to buy the truck from. I'll ask them what the potential warranty implications might be before doing any big mods. But, I already know, from years of dealing with them, that stuff like leveling kits or small lifts, bigger tires (within reason), air bags etc., they won't even look at any of that for warranty purposes unless it somehow is actually directly related.

But! YMMV... The dealer I "used" to use, jacked me over on a defective factory rear driveline, claiming it was because of the leveling kit. Which, get this, THEY had installed the leveling kit on the truck before I even took delivery!

- DAA
Old 01-29-2013, 12:22 PM

Vehicle: 2013 1500 4x4 CC 5'7" Rambox
Trim Level: Longhorn/8 Speed/Air
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:17
Ford Apostate is on a distinguished road

I just want to leave my suspension stock. If I got the coil suspension it would be a matter of time before I wanted to put a lift and bigger tires on it, and my mileage and ride would suffer.

I am going to change my tires and wheels as soon as I get it. I already have some 18" wheels to replace the 20" stock wheels. I'm going to keep the tire width and diameter the same as the stock tires but with LT tires instead of P rated.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 6.4 Hemi; traded 2013 CTD
Trim Level: Laramie Crew 4x4
Rep:139
HorseMan will become famous soon enoughHorseMan will become famous soon enough

I believe you can disable it using the radio-in settings. You don't actually disable it, you simply tell the computer to stop using the aero mode, which leaves the truck at normal ride height at all times...I think!

I never keep a truck beyond warranty, and I never modify my truck with wheels and tires-I think I'll keep my order as is with air suspension.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:47 PM

DAA is just really niceDAA is just really niceDAA is just really niceDAA is just really nice

295's then? Thinking 70's? Just a hair wider than stock, but wouldn't think enough to rub.

I'd really like to go with 17" wheels, but not finding any tires I like that are narrow enough - just not feeling the 285/70's, have run them on other vehicles. Probably end up with 18's too. Although, at that point, just going to 275/65's on the stock 20's only gives 1/2" less sidewall than the 295/70/18's, and keeps the factory wheels, which in my experience are generally better quality than all but the most expensive after market wheels. Hmmm... Just about talking myself into keeping the 20's here, I must be getting soft in the head...

- DAA
Old 01-29-2013, 03:57 PM

Vehicle: 2013 1500 4x4 CC 5'7" Rambox
Trim Level: Longhorn/8 Speed/Air
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:17
Ford Apostate is on a distinguished road

No, I'm going from 275/60r20 to 275/70r18. I wanted to keep the width and diameter the same as stock. Diameter is practically the same, 33.0" vs 33.2".

I thought about going to the 275/65r20 but I didn't know if 34" tires would fit.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Apostate View Post

I thought about going to the 275/65r20 but I didn't know if 34" tires would fit.
With air ride, they would probably rub. If I go that route, I'll put a leveling kit on - I know the 34's fit great like that.

- DAA