DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-29-2013, 03:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 1500 4x4 CC 5'7" Rambox
Trim Level: Longhorn/8 Speed/Air
Color: Mineral Gray
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:17
Ford Apostate is on a distinguished road

I would have gone with 17's instead of 18's but 18's allowed me to match the stock tire overall dimensions.
Sponsored links
Old 01-29-2013, 03:23 PM

Vehicle: 2013 1500 4x4 CC 5'7" Rambox
Trim Level: Longhorn/8 Speed/Air
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:17
Ford Apostate is on a distinguished road

If I put on a leveling kit on the stock suspension, I'd probably go that route too.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 6.4 Hemi; traded 2013 CTD
Trim Level: Laramie Crew 4x4
Rep:139
HorseMan will become famous soon enoughHorseMan will become famous soon enough

Could you put a set of timbren air springs in rear if you got air ride-try replace bump stops. Seems a heavy payload might not show so much to the load leveling computer...the heavy load should contact the timbren springs before squatting the truck too bad? Then how would computer know to enter protection mode? Again, I think computer only monitors level of truck, not weight. Maybe protection mode is when the rear air bags simply cannot compensate to load and level the truck. Wouldn't timbren springs help with that?
Old 01-30-2013, 01:08 AM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:1178
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

None of you'll be surprised that my vote is for TLC instead of factory air ride. The TotalLoadControl™ air bags are bigger to deliver all the lifting power you need and you keep the factory coil springs. TLC costs 1/3 of the factory suspension.

Here is the thing, I have been in this business a LONG time. Remember the Range Rovers with air ride in the 90's? Or the 2000ish Lincoln Navigators? The air ride components can cost THOUSANDS at a shot when they fail.

An entire replacement TLC system can be had for the price of ONE (thats right, ONE) Air Strut for a 2013 Ram. In my Lexus LS430 the struts were $1,100 per strut, the air dryer had to be serviced regularly and replacement filters were $100 (once a year), the Air dryer unit itself went out and cost me $1400, and then the Compressor went. When I was quoted $2,200 for a new compressor, I gave up, converted it to OEM coil over strut suspension and sent back my $4400 in new air struts.

The way I see it, for those that simply want the air for added towing stability, why pay $1500 now, and go through all the hassle in 10 years when the system fails out of warranty, when you can get TLC under $500 and be worry free.

I've been using TLC for almost a year now - and flat out, I wouldn't drive a RAM without it. Its really a no brainer when you think about it - how could a truck with only coil springs have as much lifting and leveling power as a truck with large 9" air springs that can level heavy loads with only 20-30 psi. I have the wired air compressor and its a breeze to add air for less than a minute to level most loads.

Also, if you have any interest in lifting or lowering your truck, you can't get the factory optional air.

Its not gotten out there yet, but TLC really has something with their patented system - not just for 4th Gen RAMs but all pickups. TLC is the only air suspension 9" air springs that really deliver on everything you need - all the power to level any load - improved steering and handling - understeer and oversteer virtually eliminated - improved 0-60mph performance - no hesitation when you put your foot on the gas - absorbs road bumps, shock and noise for a more comfortable, sportier ride - and reliable and easy to install without modification.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Old 02-02-2013, 04:20 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Laramie 4X4 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Laramie Hemi 8 Speed
Color: Maximum Steel Met.
Rep:25
kxlexus is on a distinguished road

Well, I decided to order it. Placed my order yesterday for a Laramie with the air suspension and a bunch of other stuff
Old 02-02-2013, 04:39 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Laramie 4X4 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Laramie Hemi 8 Speed
Color: Maximum Steel Met.
Rep:25
kxlexus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseMan View Post
Could you put a set of timbren air springs in rear if you got air ride-try replace bump stops. Seems a heavy payload might not show so much to the load leveling computer...the heavy load should contact the timbren springs before squatting the truck too bad? Then how would computer know to enter protection mode? Again, I think computer only monitors level of truck, not weight. Maybe protection mode is when the rear air bags simply cannot compensate to load and level the truck. Wouldn't timbren springs help with that?
This could be a possibility. I checked and they aren't listing anything for the 2013 models yet. Maybe they will have something available soon. Simple enough system but I have no knowledge of the Timbren system durability. Do they hold up long term? You would think so because most of the line they aren't being used.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:52 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 6.4 Hemi; traded 2013 CTD
Trim Level: Laramie Crew 4x4
Rep:139
HorseMan will become famous soon enoughHorseMan will become famous soon enough

Timbren is a great product. I've heard nothing but good things about them. I've not owned a set, but strongly considered them on my previous truck. Another post suggests the air suspension may be discontinued! Very disturbing!
Old 02-02-2013, 12:17 PM

Vehicle: 2013 1500 Sport Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport fully loaded
Color: Black
Rep:36
stuabroad is on a distinguished road

According to the chit chat on the thread below - Chrysler have issued a stop on the Air Suspension.