DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Notices

Off Topic Discussion Anything goes in here! Well, almost!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-14-2012, 11:04 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 dodge ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Brillant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:168
scmedic09 has a spectacular aura aboutscmedic09 has a spectacular aura about
Default possible relocation!??!

Well heres what ive been thinking, and have been thinking long and hard about this, so figured id throw it up here, to see if i can get some motivation or de-motivation haha.
Ive been a PCP (primary care paramedic) here in NB for 4 years now, and my fiancee (will be wife in 42 days ) is an administrative assistant. Here in NB i get paid fairly well, in the mid 20$ range, but she is having a hard time getting anything over minumum wage 10$/hr. and she cant seem to find a secure job, even with her bilingual office management training.

So here is my plan, i have been looking into moving cross country and by that i mean see this link http://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Mir...mra=ls&t=m&z=4
these are all my planned stops along the way. Now this is isnt going to happen till next year, around the end of summer, due to the fact we need to save enough funds to pay the trip, and of course to possibly be without work for a few weeks.

I am looking at applying on the rigs in the BC region, as an EMA/firefighter and i also have that training, and i am in the process of getting my EMA(emergency medical assistant) license as we speak. but anyways this is my life story, and was hoping for some input from my ram fam, and some season veterans out there ( as im still a young pup) haha. But we figure we should do this now or never, as we are still young and have the ability to relocate without having to drag kids and stuff along.

hopefully some input maybe from some BC members that may be in the rig or medical field as well. Thanks for reading everyone
Sponsored links
Old 07-14-2012, 11:19 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Quad Cab Sport
Color: black
Rep:249
2011 ASSAULT 800 has a spectacular aura about2011 ASSAULT 800 has a spectacular aura about2011 ASSAULT 800 has a spectacular aura about

wow that is quite the drastic change!!! I have never been to BC, furthest west I have made it is Northern Manitoba and I cant wait to be back in Sudbury LOL BC looks beautiful and I have done a bit of research on the Kamloops area too see what type of mining, if any is in the regoin. I cant help you much on your job feild but it deffinetly is beautiful out there, they are still riding snowmobiles in Whistler!! If you have never done the drive than Sault ste Marie, Ontario to Thunder Bay is an incredible drive. If it was me I would really research the potential new area for work and just living in general to make sure you will be able to find work quickly, but thats just me. Keep us posted as time goes on

Mods : 20x9 fuel Kranks, S&B CAI, 20% tint, Ram rubber mud flaps, Lumens 35w 6000k canbus low beams, tri fold tonneau, led plate & cargo lights, custom led bed lighting
Old 07-14-2012, 11:31 AM

im def doing lots of research, there is alot of jobs for my fiancee, and alot better pay. going from minimum wage, up to 20-30 bucks for her is a huge deal. as for me, i am getting my H2S alive course asap( after the wedding at some point as all funds are going there now) and will hopefully be applying for work. Of course this is still brainstorming and pre planning, but hey gotta start somewhere right?! i have found a few employers already, and have to contact to see if hiring is a possibility also. so i have been doing some homework
Old 07-14-2012, 11:59 AM
Team Bully

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 QC TRX4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:1711
ShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant future

Ok Try number three it is driving me nuts BC is a great place and I love it. Victoria and Vancouver are very expensive to live. Not sure what housing market is like where you are but people probably pay more for a Condo here then they do for a house back there. Here is the chart from June 2012 Housing market.

Google will become your best friend!

BC Ambulance Service From the people I know in the service they started out getting paid by the call they went to and then got on full time Hourly wage.

Fire Departments seem to have 100's-1000's of applicants for anywhere from 10-40 positions a year.
Victoria Fire Department
Saanich Fire Rescue
Nanaimo Fire Rescue
Vancouver Fire Rescue
New Westminster Fire Rescue
Surrey Fire Service
Kamloops Fire Rescue
Kelowna Fire Department

These are just some but will get you a good start for research. I would say these are the larger Departments in the Province.

The best part is you have a year to research and plan. Best of luck. Let me know if there is anything else I can help with.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:29 PM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:1178
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

IMO, knowing what I know about the Job Market and cost of living in either place (almost nothing), I would not make the switch. Your wife's POTENTIAL pay raise is not enough to offest the ACTUAL cost of living increase.

We Texans don't like canadian's But if we did, I would tell you to relocate to Dallas-Fort Worth. Brand new 3,000 sq ft homes, with in-ground pools, 3 car garages and 1/4 acre routinely go for $150-$200,000 USD.

(Kidding about not liking canadians, we US Soldiers have to say that No we dont, I was kidding again. )

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Old 07-14-2012, 12:42 PM
Team Bully

ShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant future

Wow at that price I could get a house and have money for mods and a toy to fill that 3rd spot in the garage!! Josh are you State side yet or some top secret location debriefing
Old 07-15-2012, 08:23 AM

thanks for the replys guys. i guess a little more info on my part would help too haha. As for living accomodations, we are lookiing at renting, nothing big probably just a 2 bedroom, in kamloops ( also considering kelowna) prices range from 750-1500 depending. We also own a house here N.B.) allready, 3 bdrm 2 bath minihome thats 2 years old, so we are thinking of renting it, while we go, for a year or 2 to see how it works, that way, we do have something to come home to

@shawn thanks for the great info i was aware of the low hire rate in the fire services in the citys, and also about the BC ambulance service, thats the way it still works. Start out as casual and work your way up. same here in NB. Thus the reason to go industrial. action health &safety is one of the companys, and also CIP (canadian industrial paramedics) and IPSEMS. I got lots of ducks to get all lined up in a row lol
Old 07-15-2012, 11:39 AM
Team Bully

Well that is making me feel a lot better. Just trying to get out some info to help but I do see now that you have done a bit more planning and research then I first thought. Kamloops is a great place I did live in Kelowna for a couple of years and loved it as well. Gets nasty hot there sometimes in the summer. We had a couple of weeks where it was in the 40's. But a quick walk down to Okanogan Lake and everything was just fine lol.

Do you have your NFPA 1001 Level 1 and 2? I work on the Navy base here in Victoria and our firefighters have got the best shift work out there that I can think of. 24 on 24 off 24 on and 5 off. Basically no calls either only looking after a place with about 6000 and that is just during working hours numbers are way down after that
Old 07-15-2012, 01:46 PM

I only have my level 1. that is an awesome shift, we used todo 24 on 3 days off here in NB, but the company removed those shifts saying it was a safety issue.

i was just reading my first post, haha it was pretty brief and basic. trust me this isnt just a "wake up in the middle of the night, brain fart idea"

not really sure why im stuck between the 2 citys, but for some reason there is a draw there.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:37 PM

Vehicle: 2009 dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie crew cab
Color: Grey
Rep:41
uktitus is on a distinguished road

I came blind to the States knowing just 2 folks long story certainly not for here, but that was nearly 20 years back when I was 47. Vancouver is a great place I don't know about the rest of Canada but life is for living and the world becomes smaller by the day go see it and enjoy whatever it brings.