DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-10-2013, 08:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: SLT Lonestar Edition
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:246
HemiLonestar has a spectacular aura aboutHemiLonestar has a spectacular aura aboutHemiLonestar has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to HemiLonestar Send a message via MSN to HemiLonestar Send a message via Yahoo to HemiLonestar

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzvoodoo View Post
Thanks for the info guys. I found an 03 ram cd player on ebay and the guy posted it with no reserve so I got it for 12$ shipped to my door step. I am gong to install it later this week. I hate the fact that when I am driving and playing a good song for no reason what so ever my CD player just STOPs playing. The cd player was removed from the 03 ram because the owner wanted one that played MP3s and claims the cd player was on a shelf in his garage for years.
Probably true, I still have the CD/cassette combo player that came with my truck!

"Big Red"
2003 Ram 1500 QC Hemi Lonestar Edition
Mods list in profile
Sarcasm - it beats killing people
Sponsored links
Old 02-10-2013, 09:24 PM
Disgruntled

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn Edition
Color: Black & Chrome
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:50
namccanna will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzvoodoo View Post
Thanks for the info guys. I found an 03 ram cd player on ebay and the guy posted it with no reserve so I got it for 12$ shipped to my door step. I am gong to install it later this week. I hate the fact that when I am driving and playing a good song for no reason what so ever my CD player just STOPs playing. The cd player was removed from the 03 ram because the owner wanted one that played MP3s and claims the cd player was on a shelf in his garage for years.
Good score for $12! Hope that it does what you want it to do. Good luck and let us know how it turns out for you.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:51 PM

Vehicle: 2002 quad cab 4.7L
Trim Level: Quad cab
Color: yellow
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:13
buzzvoodoo is on a distinguished road

GOOD LORD. here is the link to the Ebay sale of 12$ shipped. I feel sorry for the poor guy because shipping was $11. 64. I sent the seller a message saying that if the cd player works fine after I install it I will paypal him a few extra bucks to help him out with the cost. He probably lost money driving his ram to the post office. Darn gas prices.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221182585378...84.m1497.l2649
Old 02-12-2013, 03:24 PM

BAD NEWS GUYS. I installed the new CD player today. the installation was very easy and only took 10 minutes. I turned the car on and the CD player began working fine. After 2 minutes the CD player STOPPED producing audio. Switching it to radio I still get no audio. I put a different CD in and it begins to play and shows that it is 30 seconds into the song but has no audio comming out. This is the exact same problem that my origional cd player had so I am now convinced that the PROBLEM is NOT with the CD PLAYER.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME! Please point me in the right direction. Or if you have ever herd of this issue please let me know what you recall.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:47 PM
Disgruntled

Do you have the premium factory audio option. Infinity, maybe? (Not sure what it is on the older Rams).

If you do, I would check the factory amplifier. Something (minor ground fault, poor internal wiring, board is shot....) might b causing the amp to overheat and go into thermal protection. I had a old Rockford Fosgate amp that did that. It would rock the subs for about 30 seconds and then trip into thermal protection. Once it would cool down, I could do it all again.

I'm not sure if the factory amps have light displays on them.....aftermarket amps usually do. Each color displayed means something else...thermal protection is usually red or orange.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namccanna View Post
Do you have the premium factory audio option. Infinity, maybe? (Not sure what it is on the older Rams).

If you do, I would check the factory amplifier. Something (minor ground fault, poor internal wiring, board is shot....) might b causing the amp to overheat and go into thermal protection. I had a old Rockford Fosgate amp that did that. It would rock the subs for about 30 seconds and then trip into thermal protection. Once it would cool down, I could do it all again.

I'm not sure if the factory amps have light displays on them.....aftermarket amps usually do. Each color displayed means something else...thermal protection is usually red or orange.
Yes I have the INFINITY sound system. I know for a fact that both front door subs are blown. I just turn the base down and have used it like that and it still sounds decent. When I first bought the truck I immediately took it on an 800 mile trip and it played audio for 4 hours strait before randomly stopping. Yesterday The audio stopped after only 3 minutes of driving.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:45 PM
Disgruntled

I'm gonna say that it's something with the factory amp......either a connection or the amp itself. That'd be my first step. I'd go to a door speaker, or the dash if you have speakers up there....pull the speaker out, unhook the plug. Take a multi-meter and connect it to the plug and turn the stereo on. Let it play at volume until it quits and watch the multi-meter. The voltage will fluctuate with the music...if it zeros out when the thing quits....it's almost positively your amp (99.8%).......since you already replaced the deck.

The other 0.2% is a nightmare.....some stereos will cut out when there's a ground fault (positive wire grounds out).....it could be in the wiring or the speakers....since you have blown speakers, that's where I'd start looking for that. Make sure that the speaker leads aren't touching each other if the cone is damaged......if they're all ok.....start chasing wires.

That's where I'd stop tho.... CHASING WIRES IS HORRIBLE! ....if it's not your amp, I'd assume it's wires and just re-wire the truck....replace the factory deck with aftermarket and run all new speaker leads to the speakers in the truck, skipping the factory amp.

Good luck and I hope this helps.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:22 AM

Thanks for the good info. AMP and speakers it is.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 dodge ram
Trim Level: slt sport
Color: black
Rep:10
blk03hemi is on a distinguished road

when i first bought my ram the cd player would tell you the name of artist and song playing on the radio but did not play copied cds. so i bought another one out of an 05 ram plugged right in. played copied cds but no artist nor song info.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 dodge ram
Trim Level: slt sport
Color: black
Rep:10
blk03hemi is on a distinguished road

oh for got to menthion my old cd player from my 99 dakota rt worked on this old 96 jeep i use to have.