DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-10-2013, 11:37 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3225
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgramling View Post
ok, so after reading this im still clueless on what throttle body to buy. i have a 2012 Single cab 5.7L and i have a CAI so far but my next thing is throttle body and bbk shorty headers. what size throttle body should i run??
You want to look for a ported throttle body with an 87mm initial opening if you are planning headers.
Sponsored links
Old 04-10-2013, 11:59 PM
Bully's Performance

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram CC 4X4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1769
fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM View Post
You need to separate boosted and naturally aspirated. Boosted will still function just fine with a stock throttle body. You need to start looking at larger throttle bodies when you start moving larger volumes of air. The throttle bodies that dap and moe's sell are ported with stock butterflies, so all you are doing is creating a smoother transition of the air to increase velocity, not flowing more volume. I would look at going to an 87mm with headers and full bolt ons because you want to flow as much air at higher velocity to clear the combustion chamber as quickly as possible.

Anything beyond bolt ons on a naturally aspirated motor should have a larger true bore throttle body, and any good engine builder will tell you that.
You sir are special.
Always know your stuff
100% Guaranteed to work or we will replace it for free!
Old 04-11-2013, 06:14 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 R/T
Trim Level: R/T
Color: Black
Rep:120
ironchef2011 will become famous soon enoughironchef2011 will become famous soon enough

I just posted what I was told by the company that makes them. To be honest, your theory sounds correct but who am I to go against the designer and retailer?

Perhaps this is why it's so confusing as not everyone is on the same page.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 R/T
Trim Level: R/T
Rep:120
ironchef2011 will become famous soon enoughironchef2011 will become famous soon enough

Do you know what the good thing about turning forty this year is? I finally have the ability to admit when I'm wrong!

Ignore my post about the 85mm being for all N/A bolt ons, it's not. You guys were all correct when you said that as soon as you add headers, the 87mm is required. There was a mixup in communication between Matt at Moe's and myself. He's now sending me a new 87mm and he agreed that I had the wrong TB.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:35 PM
BULLYS PERFORMANCE

Vehicle: MOPAR
Rep:931
Bully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to behold

Anyone who needs a ported throttle body let either myself or Andrew know we will get you some killer pricing! and only the best quality, we use factory Mopar cores port them to 85mm or 87mm taper them to the original butterfly, and we do this on both sides of the throttle body.

Thanks
Jeremiah
Discount Auto Performance

ALSO Feel free to PM us, OR post in our Vendor Section for quotes/questions/assistance!
July Blowout Sale! 10% over cost and free shipping on any and all in stock items!
Old 04-12-2013, 05:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT 4x4
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:211
Gecko has a spectacular aura aboutGecko has a spectacular aura aboutGecko has a spectacular aura about

So after reading this I think im going to be getting an 87mm TB since I'll be installing my LT headers next week. Is this correct? I'm still a little confused...
-Full Custom Dual Exhaust by Big Power Racing - Inertia Crazy Jay Plus Cam -Pacesetter LTs - BFI Composite #83 - Inertia Custom Tune - Dual DMH Cutouts - 87mm TB - 180* t-stat-
Old 04-12-2013, 05:45 PM
Bully's Performance

fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
So after reading this I think im going to be getting an 87mm TB since I'll be installing my LT headers next week. Is this correct? I'm still a little confused...
Yes sir. This is what you want. You want full benefit f the increased airflow and getting it out quickly.
Let us know and we could provide you an 87mm
Fire me a PM
Old 04-16-2013, 08:39 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT Sport
Color: silver
Rep:11
compressor man is on a distinguished road

I just installed my 87mm on friday, I have noticed some seat of the pants power. It took a couple key cycles to really start to feel it, now it seems to have a more effortless feeling under part throttle acceleration. I haven't really had a chance to go WOT yet, and I haven't made it to the track with it either. I do think once my tune is dialed in, it will produce even more gains. Throttle responce is better and my slight off idle stumble is almost gone, so it was worth it just for that reason, the extra power is a bonus at this point.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:27 PM
Bully's Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by compressor man View Post
I just installed my 87mm on friday, I have noticed some seat of the pants power. It took a couple key cycles to really start to feel it, now it seems to have a more effortless feeling under part throttle acceleration. I haven't really had a chance to go WOT yet, and I haven't made it to the track with it either. I do think once my tune is dialed in, it will produce even more gains. Throttle responce is better and my slight off idle stumble is almost gone, so it was worth it just for that reason, the extra power is a bonus at this point.
This is exactly what you should feel and what everyone else will feel.
Its a good butt dyno and it does take a few runs to get the full feel of its potential
Old 04-19-2013, 02:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Rep:10
cmpx3 is on a distinguished road

I have an 07 hemi ram that has a cai,electric fan, lt headers ,no cats , flowmaster dual exhaust, and a superchips programmer( thinking of selling and getting a different one) and a couple other bolt on's. I'm very interested in getting a ported tb and from what i.ve read I would need a 87mm with the mods I have. My only concern is my fuel milege. How would the TB affect the milege?