DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-01-2013, 10:24 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
fishwiz4 is on a distinguished road
Default 2013 Ram 8.4AN radio issue?

I am very close to ordering my 2013 1500 Laramie. I have been driving a Chevy for the past 7 years and just feel that the GM pickups have not really advanced at all over that time period. I have driven ram pickups at work for a couple years and really enjoy them.

I have my build sheet finished, all that is left is to tell the dealer to submit the order, but when i took one of their Laramie models out for a test drive yesterday, the radio would not work. it seemed like the touch screen was not activated, and no sound would come out of the speakers. the steering wheel controls worked, but still not sound. I thought at first that it needed a security code or something, but it turns out that after it warms up (it was about -8F yesterday and -23F today) it works. the dealer talked to the central service contact and they are aware of the issue and believe they have found the problem. it is a software update that solves it. sounds strange to me and wanted to hear your thoughts on this issue.

also my wife doesn't like the knob shifter idea, but i think she will get over that.

Thanks,
Fishwiz4

P.S. this is my first post. looks like a great forum!
Sponsored links
Old 02-01-2013, 11:34 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 black Gold
Trim Level: Larime Longhorn
Rep:27
Shreve T is on a distinguished road

I don't even know where to start with this post ^^^^^^^ Let me first say that almost every Car/Truck made in the North America region is going to be produced to NORMAL everyday climates..-23 is NOT normal everyday climate..

So why and ghow could you not expect something to have delays or not work at all.. The radio's in these trucks are computer based at best.. I would'nt let that slow ne down form purchase..
Old 02-01-2013, 11:40 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Are you sure the truck wasn't still in ship mode instead of customer mode?
Old 02-01-2013, 11:42 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I understand that -23 degrees is not normal, but I do encounter that type of temperature several times every year. So, for me it is normal.

I have great confidence that Ram will solve the issue (probably before mine is even built) but it definitely took some of the wind out of my sail.

I am planning on going forward with the order, but wanted your insight.

Ramtech:
How can you tell if it was in ship mode? how do you switch it to customer mode? why does there need to be a different mode for shipping?

Thanks
Old 02-01-2013, 12:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500 QUAD CAB
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:11
Smeej is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Smeej

When I picked up my Truck the radio console was stuck on a "Security Code" input to unlock screen. I couldn't get in to really set things up for a few days. The dealership had no idea how to fix it. They ended up contacting the Radio manufacturer directly. Pulled the head unit to get the serial # and then could generate the code using S/N and VIN.

But, No issues since other than some iPhone Bluetooth minor issues that were expected and seem to have dissipated as well.

Love this truck!
Old 02-01-2013, 12:13 PM

RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwiz4 View Post
Ramtech:
How can you tell if it was in ship mode? how do you switch it to customer mode? why does there need to be a different mode for shipping?

Thanks
If the vehicle is in ship mode, things like remote start and the radio will not function until the vehicle is put into customer mode. The reason for this is vehicles can sit for weeks at a time on the lot with the control modules that operate these items slowly but surely discharging the battery. We use a scan tool to change modes and after a certain number of miles are driven (don't recall how many off the top of my head) the vehicle will do it automatically. Some even have a combination of dash buttons that can be pressed to exit ship mode but I don't think it can be done on the Ram.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Maximum Steel Metallic
slauso is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwiz4 View Post
I am very close to ordering my 2013 1500 Laramie. I have been driving a Chevy for the past 7 years and just feel that the GM pickups have not really advanced at all over that time period. I have driven ram pickups at work for a couple years and really enjoy them.

I have my build sheet finished, all that is left is to tell the dealer to submit the order, but when i took one of their Laramie models out for a test drive yesterday, the radio would not work. it seemed like the touch screen was not activated, and no sound would come out of the speakers. the steering wheel controls worked, but still not sound. I thought at first that it needed a security code or something, but it turns out that after it warms up (it was about -8F yesterday and -23F today) it works. the dealer talked to the central service contact and they are aware of the issue and believe they have found the problem. it is a software update that solves it. sounds strange to me and wanted to hear your thoughts on this issue.

also my wife doesn't like the knob shifter idea, but i think she will get over that.

Thanks,
Fishwiz4

P.S. this is my first post. looks like a great forum!
I had the same issue on a 2013 Laramie with the 8.4AN radio. Truck was sitting on a lot outside. Temp was -32c. They had to boost the truck as the battery wud barely turn it over. We were unable to use any of the touch features on the radio screen. I never did stop back and ask them if they solved the issue.

As for Shreve T 's comment........These vehicles r sold in canada,Alaska and many other areas of the world that experience cold weather. Normal for us 3-4 months of the year is -20 celcuis and colder. They sell them here........they better work here.

Darrell
Old 02-01-2013, 12:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Darrell,

I agree with you 100%

I am talking about -8 to -23 Fahrenheit. -20C is only -4F.

I am reading of several issues with the 8.4AN, and this radio is one of the big reasons I want this pickup. I hope it get resolved quickly
Old 02-01-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slauso View Post
I had the same issue on a 2013 Laramie with the 8.4AN radio. Truck was sitting on a lot outside. Temp was -32c. They had to boost the truck as the battery wud barely turn it over. We were unable to use any of the touch features on the radio screen. I never did stop back and ask them if they solved the issue.

As for Shreve T 's comment........These vehicles r sold in canada,Alaska and many other areas of the world that experience cold weather. Normal for us 3-4 months of the year is -20 celcuis and colder. They sell them here........they better work here.

Darrell
I would expect to see this in those ambient temps with no block heater being used, especially if the vehicle has been sitting in customer mode for more than a week or so.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram
Trim Level: Sport Crew
Color: Deep Cherry Pearl
hopps is on a distinguished road

I have a New 2013 Ram Sport Crew the 8.4AN radio is sensitive to cold, Once the inside of truck heats up radio works fine. Still needs to be addressed by Ram? I've only had it a month and twice it has done some weird things (blue screen, touch screen won't work when cold) and it only got down to 20F