DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.9 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.9 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-08-2013, 03:07 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2002 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Grey
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:14
JD454 is on a distinguished road

Hmmm so what about something similar to the video above? Cat back straight pipe with 2 inch pipe going to split stacks, with 4 inch tips? Even with the turns of the stacks (90 degrees up to the bed, the split, the turns up, ext) by getting rid of the muffler altogether and using mainly 2inch piping like what it already has, and only having the 4 inch stacks there at the end in the bed, should I see much difference then I already have? Also thanks for not just burning this entire thread lol I know stacks are only popular in some certain situations but I have always had a odd fondness for them on my style truck. If I could afford a diesel, believe me this thread wouldn't exist. But I dont have need for one and am really wanting this for the look, individuality, and sound. The other idea I had was to straight pipe it like above and then hide two cherry bombs at the end inside the stacks. A buddy has two cherrys on his ford 429 and it sounds incredible. Would that set up ruin my backpreasure and exhaust flow??
Sponsored links
Old 02-08-2013, 07:47 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black on Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:44
gusman is on a distinguished road

no no no stacks on a gasser... Another "function" of stacks on a diesel is to get the soot up and over anything you may be towing and dispersed into the air vs out a tailpipe and all over the front corner of the trailer. You'll get a lot of odd looks running stacks on a half ton gasser but hey, do what makes you happy..
Old 02-08-2013, 07:59 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 1996 Ram 1500
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:17
ElSombreroNegro is on a distinguished road

a 429 moves more air than the 360 does, and on motors that large i would say single 3 inch minimum or dual 2 1/4, or more if it goes high rpm as part of its regular duties.

a 360 running stock pipes from cat forward will see very little (and by this I mean like two or three pounds at torque peak) difference in power produced by changing components downrange.

My trucks average (2000-5200) hp went up 11hp, 16hp at peak when I went with the turbo and dumped it. By comparison, peak torque dropped 6lbs, but average over the same range was up by 8lbs.
I checked that under the 'win' category and will not quibble over a bit of a loss at peak when usable average power went up...

For me... adding stack to my setup (I wont cuz I like my bed cover alot) is nothing but adding some extra pipe to the setup, and making it go up rather than back. I would expect no positive change by adding more restriction to my existing pipes.

I also mention the single in 2 1/2, dual out 2 1/2 super 40 because even though it may be considered restrictive in the field of aftermarket mufflers, it is WAY less restrictive than the monstrosity I cut off of my truck, and will help to balance out the velocity by not being overkill on an otherwise stock truck. Plus, it will gargle and pop like 180 headers inside those large pipes like they were resonators and help to fill out the exhaust note so it does not sound so hollow.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:03 AM

^ so similar to what I was thinking, adding the stacks as long as I keep the pipes at a reasonable size wont really hurt my low end undully? About right or am I way off lol also I am really liking the idea of hiding the cherrys inside of the stacks, figure it will give me a good rumble and pop while not restricting air flow any more then the bends in the piping will
Old 02-09-2013, 08:42 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 1996 Ram 1500
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:17
ElSombreroNegro is on a distinguished road

i was looking at a 1999 four door dakota at work in the contractor parking lot last night that was dual 2 1/4 from a magnaflow back and all the way up to just 6 inches short of the roof level. Then he slid 5 inch food grade stainless pipe that was all shined up over them as the stacks for show. looked wicked. sounded no different than I would expect it would sound had they come out the rear rather than up.

as far as pipe sizing goes, like i said earlier, if you are starting 14-16 inches back from your cat then your motor will hardly care as far as torque is concerned. I dumped mine, meaning of course no pipe at all after the muffler and straight gained usable power.
I see no reason (mechanically speaking) it should not be done.

I will have to admit though, stacks on commuter vehicles are an acquired taste, and I have rarely seen them done on a ride that does not flat out scream "redneck as all getout". The dakota I saw last night was a rare exception...

Last edited by ElSombreroNegro; 02-09-2013 at 08:44 AM.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: crewcab sport
Color: blue
Rep:10
bigblueownerjon is on a distinguished road

ok to the guy that said back pressure is bad no offence ur half way wrong back pressure is bad when there is too much but too little can also effect ur performance because u do need a little to keep ur engine running the way it should but at the same time the better ur engine can breath the more power it can put ou and u get better gas milage as well but being a v8 u dont realy need that much back pressure if u had a 4 cylender u would have to worry aout that but u dont so stacks would be fine just dont straight pip it to the stacks cus it wont sond good at all i sugest a super 44 muffler i have one on my regretably 6 cylender ford and it sounds meaner than my dodge with a magnaflow glass pac personal opinion tho but i also wouldnt put stacks on a gasser but its wat ever floats ur boat so if thats wat u wana do the go for it man
Old 02-09-2013, 10:25 PM

Vehicle: 1999/2002 Dodge Ram 2500
Color: Black/Blue
Engine: 1994-2001 488ci (8.0L) LA V10 300 hp 450lb/ft
Rep:27
Wantedwarrior102 is on a distinguished road

I have not done stacks on any of my dodges, but I did do it on a 1987 chevy 2.5" inch pipe glass packs to 5" stacks. The chevy was the high school truck. I thought it sounded amazing and so did my friends real deep and throaty which is what I like. If you want to try it go for it it's your truck you only have to make yourself happy. I am just warning you be ready to catch a little hell about stacks on a pick up let alone on a gasser. To be honest I am interested to know what it would sound like
Old 02-10-2013, 06:52 PM

Oh I have already caught some hell from my buddies (and my lady friend) ahaha but its not theirs Ya like I said earlier I just have always had a fondness for the sound and the look. I think I will go with a single 2.5 inch cherry splitting to the two 4 inch stacks. Should have a nice rumble to it. That and a 4 inch lift and I will be sitting pretty. Thanks for the help and opinions guys! It wont happen till my tax return comes in but I will post pics and a video as soon as its done.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:05 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad-cab
Color: Blue
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:10
MrNJStrong is on a distinguished road

I'm putting stacks on my 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L gas, don't listen to what these guys are saying that it's suppose to be on a diesel.. it doesn't matter at all, you just won't get that black smoke, who cares anyway, only the guys that think stacks should just be for diesel trucks, that's bull.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:34 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SXT 4x4
Color: Silver/ Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:2767
Canadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond repute

If you can't roll coal.. no need for stacks.. Yes they do look cool.. but on a diesel. Hell I love stacks, always wanted a big 98 cummins with flat black stacks..I just don't think they go right with a gasser.

It also depends on what size cab and bed.. as the stacks will be for looks, and some trucks look stupid no matter gas or diesel if its the wrong truck.. You may lose some low end torque or something.. I skimmed over the other posts of people discussing it.
In the end it does always come down to your personal choice no matter what anyone says. So go and make yourself happy.
Tow mirrors up for all the haters