DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-02-2013, 09:39 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman Pkg.
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Green
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
Lwebster51 is on a distinguished road
Default UConnect?

As I'm assuming most everyone see's the "unconnect" symbol on the stereo and automatically think your truck is equipped with it. I however found out after I got the truck home that mine is not equipped. My question to all of you is, is it worth buying the equipment and installing myself? What are your personal opinions about the entire setup?
Sponsored links
Old 02-02-2013, 03:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: green flying carpet
Trim Level: upper and lower
Rep:73
xsdbs will become famous soon enough

well considering that more and more states are writing laws against driver distractions, using a phone while driving, accidents caused by people looking at the phone or just not paying attention to traffic while talking on the phone, Yes it is worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwebster51 View Post
As I'm assuming most everyone see's the "unconnected" symbol on the stereo and automatically think your truck is equipped with it. I however found out after I got the truck home that mine is not equipped. Good thing it wasnt a selling point for me. My question to all of you is, is it worth buying the equipment and installing myself? What are your personal opinions about the entire setup?
Old 02-02-2013, 04:32 PM

Vehicle: 2012 R/T, 2000 Ram Off Road
Trim Level: R/T / Larmie
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
frickenbored will become famous soon enough

I have uconnect and I have only used it once. The first day I owned my truck I paired my phone, made a phone call, and thought "oh thats cool." Never used it since. It seemes clunky and complicated to use, the voice recognition is sub par and all it can really do is make calls from your phone and change the radio station by voice recognition which was done so poorly I don't have words for it.

To change the radio station you have to press the uconnect button, it will ask for a command, you say change radio station (or something like that) it will change it once then you have to press the uconnect button again and repeat the whole charade. By the time it takes you to make a call from uconnect you could have made 5 calls from your phone. I think its pretty useless software. Now I believe the uconnect in the 2013 vehicles is much better.

Just to give you some history that I learned from the chrysler technical training center. Uconnect was actually presented to Toyota first, Toyota said that uconnect was primitive software and useless for todays market. So Chrysler bought it instead.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman Pkg.
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Green
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Lwebster51 is on a distinguished road

Wow did not know that, I knew the Toyota tundras came with a "Bluetooth" capability didn't know if that was the infamous UConnect or not. Knowing now what you've told me I think I will refrain from purchasing it. Thank you for the info.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:55 AM

Vehicle: green flying carpet
Trim Level: upper and lower
xsdbs will become famous soon enough

What wasn't said is that when it was presented to "Toyota" was in the early stages of Uconnect which was built by Johnston Controls who hasn't built the system since about 2007. There are 3 different suppliers that build Uconnect for Chrysler because of the different levels of radios. As with any voice recognition device, sure commands can occasionally seem complicated and perhaps even frustrating. Haven't you ever got mad at a VR menu driven phone call? I have used Uconnect for about 3 years now and no it's not perfect, but as I mentioned they all have issues. Another thing that can cause issues is not using the correct commands to use. There commands that are to be used in order to make the system work properly, it's not like you're talking to a person and able to use any form of words to communicate a sentence. If a person is not sure about the VR commands, they can press the voice button and say "help" you be told what options that you can perform in any mode.
The main use of any hands free kit is for the phone use, accessories are secondary. As for using it, there are a lot of people using it without problems and like the system. So you really can't go by one persons feelings about the kit. I have helped people out that thought it was trash, after explaining a little about it, they also enjoyed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwebster51 View Post
Wow did not know that, I knew the Toyota tundras came with a "Bluetooth" capability didn't know if that was the infamous UConnect or not. Knowing now what you've told me I think I will refrain from purchasing it. Thank you for the info.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:44 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2597
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I have the older 2009 RER 730N unit
i bought the Ram 4 years ago this month

i am used to the verbal phone commands, i had voice train the radio several times, then they came out with a software update about 3 years ago & even the sound came out better.
Using voice commands to use the Navigation while in motion sure comes in handy, they should have used a Linguist, instead of a person from India to be on the other end of the the line, it usually ends up asking me to spell the word out, instead of just repeating the name of a city, town, & street. It can't understand, words like Chula Vista, El Cajon, Tehmecula, all words with a Spanish influence
It does better at changing radio stations, though it is still slow
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 02-04-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 ram crew cab
Trim Level: Larmie
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
crew 2012 is on a distinguished road

I have a 2012 Ram w/uconnect and have no problems with it. There is some lost of words at times but all in all it is a good system. As stated above with states making new laws concering using a cell phone while driveing hands free is the way to go. Thanks Bob