DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-27-2013, 07:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Patriot Blue Pearl Coat
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:10
Woodhead is on a distinguished road
Default 2006 Ram 2500 Mega Cab 4x4 Automatic - looking for mod advice

I have an after market Enjin Air intake and I'm rolling on BF Goodrich 315/70 R17 All-Terrain T/As. My only efficiency mod so far is the Enjin.

I use this truck to tow a 29' Airstream (about 7.3K). Since I purchased this truck used I only just learned about the Tow/Haul and OD Off Modes yesterday. The gear shift has no decal and I did not realize there was a button inside the end of the handle. Surprise! It was kind of like getting an unexpected present.

Sure would have been good to know when I was towing it through nearly 200 continuous miles of two lane curvy mountain roads when I was passing through West Virginia and Virginia.

Because of the steepness of the inclines and declines I was slipping into and out of OD going uphill and braking was worrisome on the down slope end.

I know I'd like to get an exhaust brake and I'm not sure now if I need a tuner or not. I actually get pretty good mileage as it is. Towing on that trip averaged about 15 MPG (per my on board monitor). When I'm towing interstate I average about 18 MPG. Not towing, interstate, averages about 21 MPG.

I'm strictly interested in good MPG, reliable power going up hill and safety on less mechanical brake action on the down slope.

I'd love some suggestions on an exhaust brake.

I also like opinions on whether a PT makes sense or not. If it does which one should I be looking at. I've had a couple guys mention the Smarty.

Should I consider and exhaust upgrade?

Sorry for the wordy intro.
Sponsored links
Old 01-27-2013, 07:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 dodge ram 2500
Trim Level: big horn
Color: black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:53
skinnysfd will become famous soon enough

jacobs makes an excellent exhaust brake as well as bd diesel has some. For the exhaust brake you do not need a programmer but i would get yourself a smarty jr if your just interested in better mpg and nothing to severe. Best advice ill give ya though is if you get any type of programmer get gauages and get good gauages. EGT,trans temp,fuel pressure or boost. At a minimun get the egt and trans temp.I personally love the smarty because it is the only programmer we have run on our 5.9L and never had issues with. as for exhaust you could do a 4" turbo back exhaust.
2012 RAM 2500 HEMI AFE CAI flowmaster dual exhaust,airlift 5000 bags w/onboard compressor,shaved tailgate,2.5" lift/level tuftruck front springs,bushwacker pocket flares,gear alloy wheels, goodyear duratracs 315/70/17,bd gt hemiplus tuner much more coming
04.5,2006 5.9l cummins
Old 01-28-2013, 12:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnysfd View Post
jacobs makes an excellent exhaust brake as well as bd diesel has some. For the exhaust brake you do not need a programmer but i would get yourself a smarty jr if your just interested in better mpg and nothing to severe. Best advice ill give ya though is if you get any type of programmer get gauages and get good gauages. EGT,trans temp,fuel pressure or boost. At a minimun get the egt and trans temp.I personally love the smarty because it is the only programmer we have run on our 5.9L and never had issues with. as for exhaust you could do a 4" turbo back exhaust.
Thanks for being specific. Specific is what I need at this point. Most of this is basically new to me. So also, never be afraid to dumb it down. If you can do that you'll probably hit my knowledge level sweet spot, if you catch my drift.

I definitely understand your reference to the importance of gauges.

With that in mind, when you mention getting good gauges for EGT, Trans Temp and Fuel Pressure, are you referring to the type I see embedded in the Drivers side Windshield post trim? What Are some good brands to look for? Are the gauge installations DIY friendly? As an example of what I mean (in my case), When I was looking at the Banks Econo Tuner it called for drilling and tapping a hole into the exhaust manifold for the EGT. That's a bit out of my comfort range. I've never done something like that before, but I'm pretty sure I don't want to do it for the first time on my exhaust manifold.

When you say Fuel pressure and boost are they the same thing?
Old 01-28-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhead View Post
Thanks for being specific. Specific is what I need at this point. Most of this is basically new to me. So also, never be afraid to dumb it down. If you can do that you'll probably hit my knowledge level sweet spot, if you catch my drift.

I definitely understand your reference to the importance of gauges.

With that in mind, when you mention getting good gauges for EGT, Trans Temp and Fuel Pressure, are you referring to the type I see embedded in the Drivers side Windshield post trim? What Are some good brands to look for? Are the gauge installations DIY friendly? As an example of what I mean (in my case), When I was looking at the Banks Econo Tuner it called for drilling and tapping a hole into the exhaust manifold for the EGT. That's a bit out of my comfort range. I've never done something like that before, but I'm pretty sure I don't want to do it for the first time on my exhaust manifold.

When you say Fuel pressure and boost are they the same thing?
as for gauges issopro are probably the best but the most expensive. I've have used glowshift gauages and they were ok but issopro seem to the best and most reliable. As for user friendly yes and no because for the egt to get an accurate reading u will have to tap the manifold. They make one that plugs into you obdii port bit I never trusted those. And as for fuel pressure and boost beign the same no. Boost is your turbo boost pressure and fuel pressure is depending on the type u get how much pressure is coming to your rail, lift pump,cp3 pump etc. I on my 03 just did a dummy light and all it is is a light on my dash that if my fuel pressure dropped below a certain psi the light would come on. Best advice is check out some diesel shops like throughbred diesel, kens performance solution , alligator performance etc. Alot of time they have kits for all of this stuff and are excellent guys to work with they will steer you in the right direction. The best thing about the smarty Jr is it has so many safe guards I doubt u will ever get to high of egts. I ran my Jr for 1 yr without gauges and never had any issues
2012 RAM 2500 HEMI AFE CAI flowmaster dual exhaust,airlift 5000 bags w/onboard compressor,shaved tailgate,2.5" lift/level tuftruck front springs,bushwacker pocket flares,gear alloy wheels, goodyear duratracs 315/70/17,bd gt hemiplus tuner much more coming
04.5,2006 5.9l cummins
Old 01-28-2013, 01:41 PM

if ya have any more questions feel free to call me at 712-540-2434 id be glad to help ya out an explain more . Kinda hard to do with typeing
04.5,2006 5.9l cummins
Old 01-28-2013, 01:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
as for gauges issopro are probably the best but the most expensive. I've have used glowshift gauages and they were ok but issopro seem to the best and most reliable. As for user friendly yes and no because for the egt to get an accurate reading u will have to tap the manifold. They make one that plugs into you obdii port bit I never trusted those. And as for fuel pressure and boost beign the same no. Boost is your turbo boost pressure and fuel pressure is depending on the type u get how much pressure is coming to your rail, lift pump,cp3 pump etc. I on my 03 just did a dummy light and all it is is a light on my dash that if my fuel pressure dropped below a certain psi the light would come on. Best advice is check out some diesel shops like throughbred diesel, kens performance solution , alligator performance etc. Alot of time they have kits for all of this stuff and are excellent guys to work with they will steer you in the right direction. The best thing about the smarty Jr is it has so many safe guards I doubt u will ever get to high of egts. I ran my Jr for 1 yr without gauges and never had any issues
Thanks for your advice and help with my diesel mod edumacation.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:55 PM

No problem that's what we do here . Keep us posted on what ya do and if ya have any more questions feel free to ask
04.5,2006 5.9l cummins
Old 01-29-2013, 04:49 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Rep:353
Pull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nice

Look at Geno's Garage for a good selection of gauges and gauge pods. Drilling the hole in the manifold is no big deal and you shouldn't have any problem with it.
Jay
Old 01-30-2013, 07:39 PM

Like pull ya said drilling the hole isnt that big of a deal. we always do it with the truck running and someone in the truck getting the rpms up a little bit. also we put a little vasoline on the drill bit so the shaveings that dont blow out get caught in the vasoline . Done four pyrometers and never had any shaveings or issues with em yet. take your time and itll work out for ya good luck!
04.5,2006 5.9l cummins
Old 01-30-2013, 11:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Default It's In The Mail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Ya View Post
Look at Geno's Garage for a good selection of gauges and gauge pods. Drilling the hole in the manifold is no big deal and you shouldn't have any problem with it.
Jay
Quote:
Like pull ya said drilling the hole isnt that big of a deal. we always do it with the truck running and someone in the truck getting the rpms up a little bit. also we put a little vasoline on the drill bit so the shaveings that dont blow out get caught in the vasoline . Done four pyrometers and never had any shaveings or issues with em yet. take your time and itll work out for ya good luck!
You guys are giving me some confidence.

So, after reading a lot I decided on a Pacbrake PRXB exhaust brake (the link shows the entire kit). I know the add say 4.05 -2007 manual, but it also fits the 2006 Auto. I read a lot of good owner reviews on it and I didn't really read anything negative. I also spoke directly with a couple of guys who own the same version I ordered and love them. I like that it comes with a small air tank which can be used for other accessories like air bags. They even include a 25ft curly hose and air chuck for topping off tires etc. This could come in handy off in the boonies which is where I like to camp. I order it from Chuck Heald at healdworks.com. He gave me a slightly better price than the one listed in my first link and he included 3 day shipping at no extra charge.

So, now I guess I need to start getting some gauges (had more than one recommend the Isspro brand).

Also, thinking about the 4" turbo back exhaust option.
I'm looking for easy bolt up.
What about MBRP? I'm guessing regardless of the brand Stainless is the best way to go, right?
Got any recommendations?

Skinnysfd, thanks for your number I'll probably give you a call.