DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-04-2013, 02:27 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: hopeful
Trim Level: none
Color: clear
Rep:10
Ramily is on a distinguished road
Default Might buy. A simple question.

Well... i'm new here. May be staying for good. Right now i'm rockin a 2004 Ford Focus 2.3L. (Don't make fun, it goes). I work at a new car dealership (not Chrysler) as a detailer and someone traded in a Ram I'm thinkin about getting. Its a 99 Ram 1500 extended cab (I think its called that. It has 2 door, + 2 rear suicide doors), 4wd, shortbed, and 5.9L. A little under 98k miles. Previous owner put on dual rear side exit flowmaster exhaust and a CAI (unsure of brand, havn't seen under the hood), and step rails, tool box, and pushbar. It is white/silver factory 2-tone with a tiny bit of surface rust on front fender (can't see from 5 feet) and a little more on the driver door (10 footer). I havn't gotten a chance to actually get the keys and look in it and drive it yet. What I wanna ask is, apart from common things, what should I look for? I can get it for a little under $5k at my special employee price. Is it worth it? Also, I would like to ask the bolt pattern on the wheels (5 lug) and the bolt pattern for 2010-13 Rams. Some 2012 wheels are up for sale locally and I like them. If I got it I would set about de-chroming it, taking off pushbar/ toolbox, and black it out. I really want this to be good. Living in Kentucky, I have grown up around Rams and always wanted one. My mom has a 96 Sport that I love, my uncles have all had or still have Rams. One actually had an SRT10 for a few years. One of my friends has a 2011 Express with the 5.7 and a K&N Cai. Needless to say, I love Rams. I don't need a new car, just want it. Thanks for any replies!
Sponsored links
Old 02-07-2013, 07:12 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: Superb 1998 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: White
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:74
Nck will become famous soon enough

$5,000 is a great deal for a good running truck. But you should find out all that you possibly can about this truck, like if there are any known transmission issues... because Ram's are notorious for having bad tranny's. Make sure it's never been in an accident. And I would have a mechanic do a complete check of everything within the truck. Check for bad parts within the drive line, ect...
In my case, the first truck I ever bought had a bad vacuum line leak and it made the tranny act weird. So I would check that to.
Either way, you can not go wrong with a Ram, they're awesome trucks, and if it's taken care of, it will run forever. Best of luck
Old 02-07-2013, 07:56 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:1900
gonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant future

I'd hop on that. like you said look for the usual maintenance things. and only 98K on a 1999? Not bad. I sold my 98 f150 with 140K on it and it ran great still. I think you might have a gem on your hands. I've always heard to look around at the interior and you can tell if the previous owner was someone who took care of it. If they took care of the interior, they most likely kept it current maintenance wise too.
JVC Arsenal KD, Bilstein 5100 adjustables [maxed], aFe Stage 2 Air Intake, Superchips 3865, Husky Floor Mats, Saddleman Camo Seat Covers, Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler SI/DO, 20 % Tint. 35x12.5x17 Federal Couragia M/T, 17x8.5 VTEC Warlord wheels, -12mm offest.