DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - News Desk > MOPAR NATION - Dodge Ram Club Regional Chapters! > FLORIDA DODGE RAM OWNERS

Notices

FLORIDA DODGE RAM OWNERS If you live in Florida, let us know! Come and meet us at one of our Meet & Greets!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-11-2013, 02:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: White
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
ccd1977 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvan2500 View Post
Oh I am all the way up in the Daytona area, Palm Coast. I doubt you will want to drive all the way up to me for a simple exhaust job, but if you do I cannot do it anytime this month because I am out of the state on some business and won't be back until March 19th. I will PM you anyways just incase you do decide to take a ride up or if you end up down the road needing some serious repairs or modifications. I been thinking about making a Daytona area Ram club because their are plenty of them but not serving Daytona, we have Ocala and I think Miami, Tampa, but no Daytona, atleast not that I am aware of.

Snrusnak though, who is in your area, can weld up the exhaust for you, he so graciously offered to do so. I personally don't like to weld the entire exhaust, I prefer clamps because if you ever have to take apart the exhaust, for whatever reason it may be, it is just easier to remove clamps and rusted pipes then cut out pipes or grind down welds. I remember when I had to do my rear main seal, had to move the exhaust a little to get the oil pan out.

But those parts you listed from autozone are perfect. Their are always better options but unless you have rebuilt the engine, than there isn't much a reason to go and blow big bucks. Exhaust systems and intake manifolds are really designed around the cam and valve train, it is a good idea though to always have an exhaust system that flows a minimum of 3 times the intake because of waste products, but the idea is to keep pressure low and velocity high, exhaust systems are very tricky to tune without some sort of flow modeling, it's all physics. The only place where you want to have a higher pressure (slow down the gases) is in the collector area for the O2 sensor, and the collector area is almost always smaller than the total combined area of the headpipes, and for a good reason, back pressure is good in a sense because gas always flows from a high pressure system to a low pressure system, because of this it helps to create that scavenging effect and also helps with the expelling of gases from the exhaust system.

Oh, if you do get headers sometime in the future, I like hedman, they are decent and inexpensive. Hookers are good headers but that are typically more expensive.
That is true. I want him to keep me posted in a month or two when he is available. I dont know enough about welding vs clamps. I looked under my truck and it all looks welded to me. lol.
Sponsored links
Old 02-11-2013, 02:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccd1977 View Post
That is true. I want him to keep me posted in a month or two when he is available. I dont know enough about welding vs clamps. I looked under my truck and it all looks welded to me. lol.
Well it is up to you, personally I would just grab a 6 pack and meet up with snrusnak because this will save you about a "leg" in fuel.

I can tell you as far as clamp vs. welding. Clamps are cheaper, easier to install, and with clamps it is much easier to take apart the exhaust if need. As far as which one seals better, well assuming whom ever welded you exhaust done it properly, welding creates the best seal.

It is really just personal preference I guess, if you plan to take apart the exhaust for whatever reason, say you want to upgrade the muffler or want to do a CAT delete, you don't need to go find a welder for such a task when you use clamps.

EDIT: 1:43
Clamps are cheaper than welding, only on a small scale. If you manufacture exhaust systems or run a muffler shop, welding will be cheaper and can be faster. I use an industrial welding process, similar to MIG, FCAW. FCAW, flux core arc welding is a little more expensive of a process because the welding wire is usually 12-20 bucks per lb, a lb of wire can last anywhere from about 4ft-100ft of bead, depends on the wire speed. If I am welding up 1/4" plate 1lb lasts me roughly, gosh, I would say maybe 10 ft, idk I never really measured. MIG welding wire well, it is inexpensive and a tank of Argon/CO2 25/75 will be about 100 bucks and that is for the larger tank. In welding, I am a big fan of TIG, love TIG, you can weld any metal! But it is a slow and expensive welding process, not to mention you have to be very skilled and experienced with TIG welding in order to do it properly. However TIG does produce the strongest and the best weld because of the process controls, between heat control, frequency, polarity, not to mention you have a larger selection of different filler materials.

Last edited by ramvan2500; 02-11-2013 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:05 PM

Very informative. I will check in with him in a few months since his schedule is tight. On another note, if I am in your area, I will let you know too if it is sooner.

Thanks
Old 02-11-2013, 05:18 PM

How long does something like this usually take?
Old 02-11-2013, 06:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Clamping is ok but obviously more prone to leaking. And if you clamp with the cheap u bolt clamps you pinch the pipe and can never get it apart again. PM me in the middle of march sometime maybe we can set something up.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
Clamping is ok but obviously more prone to leaking. And if you clamp with the cheap u bolt clamps you pinch the pipe and can never get it apart again. PM me in the middle of march sometime maybe we can set something up.

Sounds good. I will let you know. Thanks
Old 02-12-2013, 08:38 PM

thank you both by the way!
Old 02-12-2013, 08:40 PM

just out of curiosity. does anyone know of a DIY to remove and install exhast on my truck?
Old 03-20-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
Where in Orlando are you? I live on goldenrod road and could help you out with most if not all of what you're looking to do. What engine is in your truck? Do you know what transmission it has?
I am in Altamonte Springs, FL. I have the 5.9L gas v8 and the 46RE transmission.

I had quick exhaust job done but was pretty much a waste of money since no headers were installed. Thats what happens when you are impatient.

After the job was done, I found out they used a VX muffler instead of the Magnaflow that I requested too.

I will be looking to do headers in the upcomming months after my move. In the meantime I have this stupid hernia and I cannot lean over my engine compartment without pain.

I am trying to remove my TB, clean it and replace the IAC since my RPMS are fluxing. IAC is on the back of the TB toward the firewall. Unreachable for me

Anyway, if your still up for some header work in a few months, PM me please.

Thanks.