DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-14-2013, 04:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Laramie CC 4x4 8spd 3.92
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White w/ Blk interior
Rep:69
Driver72 will become famous soon enough
Default First 24 hours with the Laramie...my thoughts

Well I picked up my Laramie CC 4x4 8spd 3.55's yesterday around noon.
And I've had a chance to drive it quite a bit already.

It would take me a long time to list all the positives, and most of them you all know of already anyway....it's a very good truck and worth all the praise it has gotten.
But in the short time I've owned mine, I have already identified a few things I don't like and one or two things that is bordering on unacceptable.

1. The speedo and tach.
On both the speedo and tach, there are the usual thick dashes for 10, 20, 30, etc mph as well as 1000, 2000, 3000, etc rpms.
Then there are the usual smaller dashes at the 1/2 way point between each.
That is all fine and good. But for some inexplicable reason, between each they add a bracket like this: ]
WTF for? It does nothing but clutter up the gauges and makes it too busy and more difficult to glance down and read. Lose the bracket's Dodge on future models.

2. On my Laramie I have the auto dimming rear view mirror. Nothing new, have had that on many of my cars in the past. But again for some inexplicable reason, Dodge decided to put the sensor for it in the middle of the mirror side to side, and up near the top (top to bottom).
So each and every time you glance in your mirror to look directly behind you, as we all do all the time, you are met with this round dot in the middle of what you are looking at behind you.
Dodge, come on now, off to the side or below the mirror like everyone else does makes a whole lot more sense.

3. Haven't gone through the Owner's manual yet, but this next one may be able to be switched off. But as of now, each time I start the truck and have the A/C on, it automatically turns on the drivers seat cooling function. It's a great option, but should be left to the driver to turn on at his/her discretion.

4. Again, have not had a chance to read the owner's manual, but I programmed my Sirius satellite radio with the 12 stations in the preset.
However, as with most cars/trucks I have had, when you then hit the channel change button on the steering wheel it changes the channels of your presets. if you want to change the channels one at a time, you use the knob on the stereo. But for some reason, when I hit the button on the steering wheel, it does not go through the presets, it scrolls through each and every channel.
Hopefully that can be changed via the owner's manual instructions as well.

5. While wiping down the truck I learned the 20" chrome wheels, are chromed hub caps. WTF?? Really Dodge, this is not your Dodge Dart!

6. On the passenger front seat, there is a 6" area of where they stitch the leather seat together (by where your shoulder would be) and the stitching seems to be a bit thin and when poking the holes through the leather, in two places it looks like the leather got snagged and shows two tiny "snag" marks. Only those with a keen eye would really notice, but still, I'm guessing these small snags are common and acceptable in the QC inspection stage. It should not be.

7. The NAV system doesn't know where you are and loses you on the road too easy.
For instance, while driving down the freeway in the fast lane, twice when I moved over to the slow lane in anticipation to exit the freeway, the NAV system thought I had miraculously jumped off the freeway and was suddenly driving on the frontage road that paralleled the freeway and said "preparing to reroute" or whatever, when I was still on the freeway.

8. The carpeting in the truck is awfully thin. I've seen higher quality, thicker carpeting in vehicles costing 1/2 as much. This is one of the bordering on unacceptable things.

9. This one IS unacceptable and not sure how to proceed with it.
The paint job on these trucks are subpar. I have found several areas with overspray, rough specs (like if they painted over a small granule of sand), and even two "star" like fissures that looks like there was a mistake made and someone just dabbed it with their finger.
The overspray is all from the lower two tone paint job.
The silver lower paint on the Laramie overtop of the True Blue paint, seems to be thin and in a couple small areas you can literally see a bit of blue coming through.
Luckily it's all down near the bottom of the truck or inside the door sills/frames, but still it's unacceptable to have so many paint issues on a brand new truck of this expense. Again, on the Dodge Dart, ok, one can't complain, but on a $50k MSRP truck???

I'll see if I can upload a picture or two of the paint issues?
Anybody else notice this shoddy paint jobs on their Laramie's with the two tone base?

OK, that's the dislikes at this point, most people would not even flinch at some of the QC points I made, but I'm a tiny bit of an "anal" person, and I am hoping these are the only negative little things I ever notice or stick out with me about the truck.
As stated, I really dig the truck and love so much about it, but those few little things annoyed me a bit and the lower two tone paint work being pretty shoddy seems unacceptable to me in a vehicle of this price range.

Last edited by Driver72; 07-14-2013 at 04:43 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 07-14-2013, 05:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Long Horn
Color: CopperHead
Rep:10
sefrayser is on a distinguished road

Not t piss you off but a lot of the complaints ie: radio switching channels. Thats can be done from the steering wheel...left hand middle button. As far as the paint and carpet, did you not look the truck over good before purchasing. Like I say I really am not trying to kick you in the jimmy but some items are covered in the owners manuel. While I agree these trucks are not perfect but I personally think they are the best on the market. Just My 2 Cents.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:15 PM

Vehicle: 2013
Trim Level: Express
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:99
lbram81 will become famous soon enough

Everyone uses chrome clad now.

Many, including myself, have paint issues.

According to your info you have been a member here since Dec of 2012. Didn't you see any of this coming? How many times have people complained about chrome clad and paint issues here......

Good luck with your truck though!

Taylor Swift IS NOT a country singer!
Old 07-14-2013, 05:29 PM

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500 Laramie
Color: Cherry Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:465
Monster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
2. On my Laramie I have the auto dimming rear view mirror. Nothing new, have had that on many of my cars in the past. But again for some inexplicable reason, Dodge decided to put the sensor for it in the middle of the mirror side to side, and up near the top (top to bottom).
So each and every time you glance in your mirror to look directly behind you, as we all do all the time, you are met with this round dot in the middle of what you are looking at behind you.
Dodge, come on now, off to the side or below the mirror like everyone else does makes a whole lot more sense.
First, congratulations on your new Laramie. I read your list of complaints but really, this one is off the charts. You come acorss to me as someone that can not be satisfied.

BTW, both of my Tahoes (2003 & 2008) have their sensors located center, top of mirror. It seems to me to be the most logical location.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:47 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 4x4 Crew Cab
Color: Black
Rep:100
CharlieL will become famous soon enoughCharlieL will become famous soon enough

3. Haven't gone through the Owner's manual yet, but this next one may be able to be switched off. But as of now, each time I start the truck and have the A/C on, it automatically turns on the drivers seat cooling function. It's a great option, but should be left to the driver to turn on at his/her discretion.

You will find this is a setting in the UConnect. It appears yours is set to "on" - it's easy to find to turn off, in particular if you read the owners manual. Short of that, just play with all of the settings.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:26 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Laramie
Color: Black/gray
Rep:11
bigbody is on a distinguished road

Like others have said you can turn off the auto on seats, you can change presets with using the center left button, ram has been using chrome clad for about 10 years, the nav system may need the update that is out, and everybody has paint issues! Seems like you didn't do much research before you purchased your truck to know all the features, your salesman should have went over all that with you also
2013 RAM 1500 Laramie, sunroof, 3:55gears, undercover se, avs in channel, 30% tint all around
Old 07-14-2013, 06:28 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Laramie 4X4 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Laramie Hemi 8 Speed
Color: Maximum Steel Met.
Rep:25
kxlexus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster5601 View Post
First, congratulations on your new Laramie. I read your list of complaints but really, this one is off the charts. You come acorss to me as someone that can not be satisfied.

BTW, both of my Tahoes (2003 & 2008) have their sensors located center, top of mirror. It seems to me to be the most logical location.
I am going to have to agree with Monster on this one. I have over 7,000 miles on my Laramie and never noticed the dot on the mirror. As for paint quality, they aren't all bad. The only thing wrong with my paint is some orange peel. Just like every GM and Nissan I ever bought. Really, you didn't know the rims were chrome clad after all the threads on here? I like mine
Old 07-14-2013, 06:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram 1500 CC 4x4
Color: True Blue Pearl
Rep:11
hemidon is on a distinguished road

I'm taking mine in for a few issues this week. First is the recall on the signal lights. Second is the mirror that moves on its own, especially overnight. Not sure if they have a solution for this yet....seems to be a pretty common problem on these. My washer fluid isn't dispensing when I press the button. It has been slowly getting worse over the last week until it just quit all together. Resorvoir is full...seems like a bad pump, because no leaks underneath. AC is cool, but doesn't seem very cold compared to the last 6 new vehicles I've purchased in the last 10 years. Not sure if these are common problems for others...haven't read anything about these issues here. I'm not a fan of the uconnect 8.4an right now...hopefully the updates fix the issues. Mine freezes all of the time. Recently I had the radio cranked listening to some tunes, and it locked up on me. Couldn't adjust the volume or anything. Tried shutting the truck down for 5 min, and it didn't fix it. Parked the truck overnight, and it was back to normal in the morning. I love my truck, so hopefully these will be easy fixes for the dealer.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:02 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Laramie CC 4x4 8spd 3.92
Color: White w/ Blk interior
Rep:69
Driver72 will become famous soon enough

As I said guys, I'm sure some of the little things will be explained in the owner's manual, but I haven't had time to read them.

And no the salesman didn't go over it all with me, mainly because I had to fly into the city (350 miles away) to pick up the truck and drive it home.
There was a pretty big storm coming into the city and I wanted to get out of there before I got stuck there and had to hit a hotel.
So it was fly in, do the paperwork, hit the road.
I did spend 20 minutes walking around the truck looking for issues, but lets be honest, like all the other people on here, often you don't notice everything until you look closer. I was spending more of my time looking for door dings, scratches during delivery, checking out the interior, making sure it had the 3.55 axle ratio, checking the bed, trying out the power options, and going for a 10 minute test drive.

I do plenty of research but looking into "chrome clad" wheels is not one of them.
I'd done it all with the major things, like the axle ratio issue and so forth. I also read every auto journal about the truck and read comparisons too and know that it's well praised, I never read in an auto journal or a post here about the hubcaps or what appears to be common inconsistencies with the paint jobs. Though it's relatively minor, again I've never seen them like this in all of the other 40 new cars I've ever bought.

Don't get me wrong, I like the truck a lot already, as I said, it's pointless to list all the positives as everyone knows that already, so I pointed out the things that I think should be changed in the future to make it even better.

But beyond that, I work 60-70 hours a week and have two kids under the age of 4.
Spending a lot of time on the internet reading every post is tough, even then usually one of my kids is tugging at my leg when I do get 1/2 hour free time to get on the internet.

Monster, yes I can easily be satisfied, but to be honest, this is my first American vehicle in many years, most recents have all been Japanese and German (well with the exception of my 2011 Mustang 5.0 I bought in fall 2010, but sold in spring of 2011 when I moved and couldn't take it. So little things like the dot in the center of the mirror where you look, is a bit more thought out in the other cars I've had. The most logical place is usually directly below the mirror, next too, or in between the homelink, or "onstar" like buttons. This way it does not obscure your view at all. I know it's minor, but never having to see that before, it stands out pretty readily when you climb into the Ram and look into the rear view mirror. And off the top of my head I don't know of a single Japanese or German vehicle that has a MSRP at $50k that uses hub caps. So though I like the look of them, it caught me as a bit of a surprise cost cutting measure.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:16 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:621
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

some of the things you don't like will not bother you shortly. as for the paint issues, has been a known issue. if it is as bad you say, dealer should fix. give it a shot with your service manager. some are a bit surprised by the "chrome clad". have it on wifes 04 grand cherokee, owned since new. he chrome plastic holds up pretty well. much less work than the chrome wheels of the seventies.