DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > V10 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-01-2013, 11:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1996 SLT
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 1994-2001 488ci (8.0L) LA V10 300 hp 450lb/ft
Rep:10
99 V10 is on a distinguished road

Glad you got the engine issue fixed. I agree as an old time mechanic with you on these new vehicles. But if you remember back to the early days the manufactures were wanting to force people to their stealerships for repairs. Well what we see is those plans from years ago. My 99 Dodge Ram 4x4 is the newest vehicle in my junk fleet. Tobe honest I don''t ever see myself buying anything newer. I'm in my 60s & my Dodge only has 78,000 miles on it. At the rate I use it in just under two years I have put a whopping 6000 miles on it. I only use it to tow & HD use.
I'm buying older junk. I just gave away a piece of sh-- 98 Chevy Blazer 4x4 & bought a 95 Ford F150 4x4 302, 5 speed, 3:08 gears with 138,000 miles. I paid $2800 cash for it. It gets 17-20 mpg on the road & isn't a JUNK GM. So we have 2-OBD I systems & the OBD II in the Dodge. But I have yet to have an OBD I problems in the many I have owned.
I hope the school does good work for you. I have heard horror stories about work done in schools. But it all depends upon the instructor. If he or she are on top of ALL the work & are good mechanics themselves then your OK.
RockAuto is a good deal & they have good quality & good prices. I deal with them as needed. My thing is I'm tied into my Napa store. I can order direct & then get it from my home store. The owner gives me great pricing, plus I have access to her inventory online. So if she doesn't have it I can just order it from Napa. It goes through as if the store ordered it. A nice convenience to have. Plus no freight costs

Last edited by 99 V10; 04-01-2013 at 11:59 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 04-03-2013, 11:47 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: ASPP SLT Decor group
Color: APCA Center Band two tone forest green/ silv paint
Bandit 8 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Bandit 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 V10 View Post
Glad you got the engine issue fixed. I agree as an old time mechanic with you on these new vehicles. But if you remember back to the early days the manufactures were wanting to force people to their stealerships for repairs. Well what we see is those plans from years ago. My 99 Dodge Ram 4x4 is the newest vehicle in my junk fleet. Tobe honest I don''t ever see myself buying anything newer. I'm in my 60s & my Dodge only has 78,000 miles on it. At the rate I use it in just under two years I have put a whopping 6000 miles on it. I only use it to tow & HD use.
I'm buying older junk. I just gave away a piece of sh-- 98 Chevy Blazer 4x4 & bought a 95 Ford F150 4x4 302, 5 speed, 3:08 gears with 138,000 miles. I paid $2800 cash for it. It gets 17-20 mpg on the road & isn't a JUNK GM. So we have 2-OBD I systems & the OBD II in the Dodge. But I have yet to have an OBD I problems in the many I have owned.
I hope the school does good work for you. I have heard horror stories about work done in schools. But it all depends upon the instructor. If he or she are on top of ALL the work & are good mechanics themselves then your OK.
RockAuto is a good deal & they have good quality & good prices. I deal with them as needed. My thing is I'm tied into my Napa store. I can order direct & then get it from my home store. The owner gives me great pricing, plus I have access to her inventory online. So if she doesn't have it I can just order it from Napa. It goes through as if the store ordered it. A nice convenience to have. Plus no freight costs

I know what you mean about the schools up coming mechanics. But you are correct about it being about how well the instructor is qualified or monitors the students.

But I have an ace in the hole on this one.

The instructor watching over my truck is a mopar man, he loves mopars and generally only takes in mopars for the students to learn on.

Also my brother in-law is the instructor over the auto body part of votec and in the shop next door to my truck. My brother in-law is actually keeping an eye on things for me.

If all goes well this will save me a substantial amount of savings in labor costs.

And I bought all mew stuff so all they have to do is hang parts. I could have probably gotten by with turning my rotors and save a few bucks, but instead I just bought new ones so there would not be a chance of machining errors.

Like you this will probably be the last truck we build. I have another 1995 Dodge with the cummins in it but it`s only 2wd and does not do well where I live when the weather is wet or snow. So as soon as I get the 1998 4x4 finished I`ll be selling the cummins.

I wish I could have found a 4x4 cummins to put all this work into but there were just not any around that did not have under 300k miles on them. They really hod their value out here.

Any how the V-10 should do us well as I only put maybe 500 to 1000 miles on my truck in a years time. We use a Jeep Cherokee 4x4 as our main transportation.

Thanks for your comment and god luck
Old 04-07-2013, 11:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1996 SLT
Trim Level: SLT
99 V10 is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit 8 View Post
I know what you mean about the schools up coming mechanics. But you are correct about it being about how well the instructor is qualified or monitors the students.

But I have an ace in the hole on this one.

The instructor watching over my truck is a mopar man, he loves mopars and generally only takes in mopars for the students to learn on.

Also my brother in-law is the instructor over the auto body part of votec and in the shop next door to my truck. My brother in-law is actually keeping an eye on things for me.

If all goes well this will save me a substantial amount of savings in labor costs.

And I bought all mew stuff so all they have to do is hang parts. I could have probably gotten by with turning my rotors and save a few bucks, but instead I just bought new ones so there would not be a chance of machining errors.

Like you this will probably be the last truck we build. I have another 1995 Dodge with the cummins in it but it`s only 2wd and does not do well where I live when the weather is wet or snow. So as soon as I get the 1998 4x4 finished I`ll be selling the cummins.

I wish I could have found a 4x4 cummins to put all this work into but there were just not any around that did not have under 300k miles on them. They really hod their value out here.

Any how the V-10 should do us well as I only put maybe 500 to 1000 miles on my truck in a years time. We use a Jeep Cherokee 4x4 as our main transportation.

Thanks for your comment and god luck
Well it sounds like you have the best deal going a guy could have with the school. It will give the kids experience that they need to be good if they choose to go on as mechanics.
My transfer case went out of my Ford yesterday in Las Vegas. We were headed back to Western Central Nevada so we were 300 miles short of making it. So I called a buddy of mine who lives west of Las Vegas about 60 miles. So he came with a trailer & got us.
He has a 95 1 ton Dodge 5.9 Cummins 2wd.
When we got the Ford back to his shop. He owns a tractor dealership plus his boy drag races in Las Vegas on a regular basis. A Dodge Demon with a 572 Mopar.
Anyway my buddy gave us his Dodge Cummins to come home. His 5.9 has a Banks tranny kit & turbo kit. So it runs pretty good. My surprise was it doesn't pull much faster than our V10. With the F150 & his nice tilt trailer pulling a 7% grade he pulls about 5 mph faster. Now that said I have to pull 10,000# on that hill in 3rd gear manual shift. He pulled in overdrive until about half way up (6 mile) then had to lock out overdrive. We figured he was pulling around 9000#.
Anyway after a 4.5 hour trip home I loved the 18.6 mpg mileage but diesel was $.030/gal more. Other than that I like my V10 better.
I have never driven a modern pickup diesel. I drove many Big Rigs over the years. The only pick or under 2 ton truck with a diesel was a new 1976 Ford F350 with a Detroit 4-53 turbo diesel 4sp with a 3sp Browning. This was a conversion done by a Detroit Diesel Distributorship that in the 70s was doing these conversions for companies that wanted pickups with diesels. This distributorship was Mentzer Detroit Diesel in Sparks, Elko, & Las Vegas. Their Sparks shop had a separate shop set up to do only these conversions. I worked for them for awhile & my ex-wife was their computer programmer. The good ole days of the 70s.
So for my use a diesel isn't for me. It was a quiet inside the cab, it ran great, great mileage, comfortable as the newer Dodges are. But I wouldn't buy one unless I thought I was going to start driving thousands of miles a year pulling heavy loads. But those days are long gone for me.