DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting HID - HALO - LED LIGHTING - UNDERBODY LIGHTING - TINTED/SMOKED/PAINTED TAILS - ETC.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-16-2013, 04:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Deep Cherry PearlCoat / White Gold
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:16
buckmaster is on a distinguished road

Thanks for info. Since I don't have my truck yet, and I am really not familiar with the wet up, you only installed the 55W in the high (projector) side? Are the projectors low and high or just high?
Sponsored links
Old 03-16-2013, 04:48 PM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpositraction View Post
I didn't do the fogs. I think the fogs are bright enough as it is. Plus, I like running them whenever I run the parking lights and they have enough glare as it is stock

I couldn't be happier with the light install in the projectors. The lows are good, but the projectors cut them off pretty low, but I guess that is what they are supposed to do. When the brights come on OMG, the sun has risen. I live in Southern WI and when you are driving down a road with fields on both sides it is hard to judge how good lights are because there isn't anything to see, but with the 55W 5000K bulbs in the projects I can see FOREVER, very happy!

I contemplated not doing it but I am so glad I did. $160ish shipped and I would pay it again in a hear beat.

EDIT: And for clarification I left the bright Halogens stock.
Sorry if this was indicated somewhere I did not see it but What HID kit did you get? From where?
Old 03-16-2013, 04:58 PM

Vehicle: Ram 1500 Sport Crew
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:95
mrpositraction will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asur View Post
Sorry if this was indicated somewhere I did not see it but What HID kit did you get? From where?
Old 03-16-2013, 05:05 PM

Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Those are great kits, I have a dozen of kits from them, never had any issues. With projectors the cutoff is bit low, but its night and day with HID's in them. Cool, great mod.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:13 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport Crew Cab
Color: Snow White
Rep:160
Yo Nadz has a spectacular aura aboutYo Nadz has a spectacular aura about

MrPosi. My bulb out comes on right after I start the truck, even if I don't have the headlights on. Shows up for about 3 seconds then goes away.

How did you get the current mpg and temp gauge to show up on the display like that??
Old 03-16-2013, 09:48 PM

NM. Figured out the gauges. Never saw that option before.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:48 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Sport
Rep:35
Zixxer is on a distinguished road

That is odd, you actually should be getting a bulb out as the other connector to that light is not is use.

Is your setup with a single capacitor or dual resistors? Yo Nadz and I have the same issue and I finally just pulled my setup.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:16 AM

Ive got the single resistor setup. Works flawlessly. U took the hids off because of it the bulb out warning? It def doesn't bother me THAT much.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:13 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Sport
Rep:35
Zixxer is on a distinguished road

No, much more...I lost all but one fog one morning so I had to stay home from work to troubleshoot it. Turned out to be a lose wire coming into the fuse holder. Those are pretty cheap fuse holders and almost any amount of pull will take the wire right out of the crimped end.

Now that was after everyone said to look at the grounds - I redid them all and used new stainless steel screws, star washers, grease, etc. That wasn't it...just fuse holders. :-)

So new fuse holder and freshly reset grounds and no right headlamp...found some water in one of the connections so took them all apart, sprayed them out with WD-40, air, then put the dielectric grease in all the appropriate connections...no right lamp again.

Finally traced that to a connection by giggling wires - bent some pins to create a more secure connection. Ok, all good at this point. Still error light but sent the info to Retro. They sent two resistors, said to remove the cap.

Installed those (two more grounds :-) ) and NO lights. F that, I'm done. Reinstalled the factory head lamps, both worked fine. I researched the heck out of HIDs at that point and the resistor setup should be the cure for our "lamp out" message. At that point that was honestly the least of my concerns, I just wanted the nice HIDs I enjoyed briefly for about two or three days. When they worked, it was great. I drive to post at about 0500 in the morning so I have to have lights, no way around it.

Two days later, flickering on acceleration on the fogs...seriously, those are as easy as it gets to install.

So at that point, I ordered some CANBUS Gen IVs...we'll see.

I hear a lot of great things on the Retro Solutions and they were great with the support but seriously, I've just got bad luck. I'm extremely technically inclined and have wired houses, cars, etc. This just wasn't meant to be for me.

Last edited by Zixxer; 03-17-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zixxer View Post
No, much more...I lost all but one fog one morning so I had to stay home from work to troubleshoot it. Turned out to be a lose wire coming into the fuse holder. Those are pretty cheap fuse holders and almost any amount of pull will take the wire right out of the crimped end.

Now that was after everyone said to look at the grounds - I redid them all and used new stainless steel screws, star washers, grease, etc. That wasn't it...just fuse holders. :-)

So new fuse holder and freshly reset grounds and no right headlamp...found some water in one of the connections so took them all apart, sprayed them out with WD-40, air, then put the dielectric grease in all the appropriate connections...no right lamp again.

Finally traced that to a connection by giggling wires - bent some pins to create a more secure connection. Ok, all good at this point. Still error light but sent the info to Retro. They sent two resistors, said to remove the cap.

Installed those (two more grounds :-) ) and NO lights. F that, I'm done. Reinstalled the factory head lamps, both worked fine. I researched the heck out of HIDs at that point and the resistor setup should be the cure for our "lamp out" message. At that point that was honestly the least of my concerns, I just wanted the nice HIDs I enjoyed briefly for about two or three days. When they worked, it was great. I drive to post at about 0500 in the morning so I have to have lights, no way around it.

Two days later, flickering on acceleration on the fogs...seriously, those are as easy as it gets to install.

So at that point, I ordered some CANBUS Gen IVs...we'll see.

I hear a lot of great things on the Retro Solutions and they were great with the support but seriously, I've just got bad luck. I'm extremely technically inclined and have wired houses, cars, etc. This just wasn't meant to be for me.

Shit happens.