DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-10-2013, 05:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:63
S.C. Express will become famous soon enough

I am a huge Nissan fan personally, just make sure you get one with plenty of options and the V-6. They are fairly strong for a V-6. I have had 5 Nissan trucks, none of them gave me problems. Down side is they get terrible gas mileage. Your current truck probably gets better mpg than the Nissan trucks do. Even my 4cyl. nissans barely got 18mpg avg. I had one that was king cab, 4x4, 4 cyl. and it got 13mpg period! I put 31x10.5 dueler A/T tires on iit to replace the wimpy stock 225/70's and my mileage jumped up to 15mpg without a speedo recalibration! Those tires were awesome, quiet and lasted 60k miles.That poor truck was turning 4k rpms at 75 mph on the interstate due to the factory gearing! lol
Old 02-10-2013, 08:38 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:360
starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

I have always liked the 2005-up Frontiers. I remember looking at them on the dealer lot when they first came out. But they have always been expensive...pretty much as expensive as a full size truck. I even like the older Frontiers but not nearly as good as the newer ones. From what I have read I would expect a V6 crew cab to average 17-18 mpg. That's based on looking at fueleconomy.gov and fuelly.com. Not great by any means but better than the 13 that my Ram is getting. So you don't think it would do that good?
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:43 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:636
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by starquestbd22 View Post
Well, I did it today. Put my Ram up for sale. As much as I love it, I have been thinking about the fact that I really don't need a full sized 13mpg V8 truck. So I am looking into trading for something smaller...like a 2005-up Nissan Frontier crew cab. Dunno if it will actually happen cuz I owe a little more on the Ram than it's worth. Plus, I only put it on Craigslist and I priced it about $1,000-$1,500 more than I expect to get out of it just to see what happens. If someone falls in love with it and it sells, it sells. If it doesn't, I still love it.

Okay, go ahead, tell me what a dumbass I am, lol.
didn't read any other posts, but you are not going to get better mpg in a frontier. best bet would be to see about trading in on 13 ram six cyl truck.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:01 PM

Vehicle: 2012 ram 1500 4x4 express rcsb
Color: true blue pearl
Rep:101
browndawg will become famous soon enoughbrowndawg will become famous soon enough

my ol ladys 09 corrolla gets great gas mileage it only has 45000 mi on it ill trade u straight up
Old 02-10-2013, 10:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Tequila Sunrise Pearl
Rep:39
Mr. Tim is on a distinguished road

I traded a 2010 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X on my Ram. It was a great truck. If it had been a crew cab I probably would not have gotten rid of it. Had a 2.5 inch lift all the way around and some 285/75/16 GY Duratracs on it. Only got about 14mpg avg. Take a look around over at clubfrontier.org - its got good members with a lot of knowledge.

Here's a pic from last winter:

Old 02-10-2013, 11:08 PM

Vehicle: 2010 1500 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT- Big Horn
Color: White
Rep:19
dig is on a distinguished road
Default Trade

I always have to laugh when I hear that someone is trading for mileage, Unless you are driving very high mileage you will never make up the different on the loss of the trade. And if you are financing and have to go in deeper it will even be worse, and if you buy used you may be getting something that will cost you more in the end, I always tell some one that is trading for mileage, do not use that as a excuse. If you want something different just do it no excuse needed. Just my twisted way of thinking, been there and done that.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:17 PM

Vehicle: RAM
Rep:33
Copperhead Ram is on a distinguished road

You could go for a new 2013 Ram... very comfortable and there are lots of improvements since your 2004. You could go with the new V6, but even the HEMI will get better mpg than the Nissan Frontier.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4WD Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Rep:2549
Hermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond repute

You might consider the cost and potential loss in selling vs the difference in fuel mileage, sometimes the numbers do not always work out to go to realize a savings in a lower MPG vehicle and sometimes they do. In any case you have to do what is best for you and so no worries.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:57 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:360
starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

Well no, gas mileage was never my primary motivator for considering trading my Ram. It ranked a closed second or third but it was never my primary reason. I only put 6-8k miles per year on my truck so I figured I would not make up the trade loss in fuel saving. However, I am kinda bummed to hear what you guys think a Frontier will get. From everything I have read I was hoping for at least 17mpg.

My primary reasons for thinking about trading are because I'm kinda tired of driving a lifted, stiff, kinda loud truck and am ready for something a little smoother and quieter. As much as I love the look, I don't need loud, whining A/T tires anymore. I nice set of street tires will do me fine for what I do and be more pleasant to live with. And secondly, I get tired of stuff easy and get the urge for something else. I have always liked the Frontiers and thought the smaller size, and quiet, smoothness combined with I thought better gas mileage would make more sense for my family. That being said, I have rethought the idea of selling my Ram several times. I'm pretty attached to it, lol.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:07 AM

Vehicle: Ram1500
Rep:14
moulin6801 is on a distinguished road

Hey, I looked for your Craiglist post and it has been deleted !
Would you like to trade on a 2010 Tacoma TRD sport Crew Cab 4x4 ??
I need a bigger truck>
Cheers