DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-15-2013, 08:15 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:360
starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

Just FYI for anyone that has or might consider buying one of these trucks....when I first thought about trying to trade I did a LOT of research on the Frontiers and only found two causes for concern.

One is that some of them were apparently manufactured with substandard radiators, in particular the part where the transmission fluid runs through the bottom tank of the radiator. Some vehicles suffer from leaking seams in this area that allow the trans fluid and coolant to mix which then causes strawberry milk in your radiator and needing a trans. The good thing is that it can be easily prevented by a simple, free bypass of the trans fluid so that is doesn't circulate through the radiator. Or you can just buy a replacement radiator for $150-300, the $300 getting you a top of the line Griffin aluminum radiator.

The second issue is a little more disturbing because you can't really prevent it. Some of the engines suffer from premature wear of the plastic timing chain guide which eventually results in a loud supercharger-like whine. That might not be a bad thing in itself but you gotta fix it or things will eventually get ugly. The repair seems to run $600-$1000, depending on where you go. Most guys that I read about seemed to be getting it done at the dealer so it can probably be done cheaper. The good thing is that 30k seemed to be the average mileage for folks noticing this so I would think a truck in the mileage range I would be looking at (60k+) would have either already been repaired or simply not had the problem.

These things don't really concern me other than simply being aware of them when I am looking for a truck. All vehicles have issues and from what I have read other than these two potential problems the Nissans are excellent trucks. It's not uncommon at all to see them with 200k miles still looking and running like they have half that.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Sponsored links
Old 02-15-2013, 09:25 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Tequila Sunrise Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:39
Mr. Tim is on a distinguished road

Did you decide what you are going to do as far as trading/selling? The Tacoma is typically cross-shopped - have you looked at those?
Old 02-15-2013, 09:42 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
One is that some of them were apparently manufactured with substandard radiators, in particular the part where the transmission fluid runs through the bottom tank of the radiator. Some vehicles suffer from leaking seams in this area that allow the trans fluid and coolant to mix which then causes strawberry milk in your radiator and needing a trans. The good thing is that it can be easily prevented by a simple, free bypass of the trans fluid so that is doesn't circulate through the radiator. Or you can just buy a replacement radiator for $150-300, the $300 getting you a top of the line Griffin aluminum radiator.

The second issue is a little more disturbing because you can't really prevent it. Some of the engines suffer from premature wear of the plastic timing chain guide which eventually results in a loud supercharger-like whine. That might not be a bad thing in itself but you gotta fix it or things will eventually get ugly. The repair seems to run $600-$1000, depending on where you go. Most guys that I read about seemed to be getting it done at the dealer so it can probably be done cheaper. The good thing is that 30k seemed to be the average mileage for folks noticing this so I would think a truck in the mileage range I would be looking at (60k+) would have either already been repaired or simply not had the problem.
So say you have to spend $1,500 on this nissan "up front" to make it reliable and last.

At $3.50/gal, if you drive 10,000 miles a year, and the nissan gets 16mpg avg and the ram 13mpg avg, then you will be saving ~$500/year in gas. So it will take you 3 years to make up the "up front" repair costs of the nissan. Not to mention a less capable, smaller vehicle.

JMO.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:28 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:360
starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Tim View Post
Did you decide what you are going to do as far as trading/selling? The Tacoma is typically cross-shopped - have you looked at those?
I've never really thought about the Tacoma for a couple of reasons. One is that while I do think the 2005-up Tacomas are nice looking trucks, they have never really struck me like the Frontiers do. I think I subconsciously prefer the more angled looked over the rounded, curvy look. The other is that I have always perceived Toyota as being probably the highest priced used trucks out there. That isn't really a bad thing if you own one, lol. But it's a factor if you are looking to buy one. I just looked a little bit before posting this and it seems I am right. The Tacomas seem to be priced noticeably higher than comparable Frontiers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
So say you have to spend $1,500 on this nissan "up front" to make it reliable and last.

At $3.50/gal, if you drive 10,000 miles a year, and the nissan gets 16mpg avg and the ram 13mpg avg, then you will be saving ~$500/year in gas. So it will take you 3 years to make up the "up front" repair costs of the nissan. Not to mention a less capable, smaller vehicle.

JMO.
I see what you mean but I don't think I would ever have to spend $1500 on a Frontier to make it reliable. The reason is because I have done my homework and am confident I could sniff either of these problems out if they existed.

I do agree with you on the fuel savings issue. As I said earlier, mpg was a secondary thought when I first hatched this idea but I was a little disappointed to find that the Frontiers may not average that much more than my Ram. Plus, I don't even drive 10k miles per year.....I put 7k on my Ram last year, lol.

All that being said, I am really leaning towards keeping my Ram for now. I really want to keep my payments no more than what they are now and a little less would be nice. I have found Frontiers priced so that I could do this very thing but they aren't what I want. In short, I have found a lot of good trucks in my price range but I don't think I'll be happy with a good truck....I want a great truck. I have worked really hard on the little things on my Ram over the last year to make it a great truck. So I am thinking another year or two down the road may be a better time and who knows what I may want by then, lol.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.