DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum


Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!


Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 02-09-2013, 09:56 AM
vman1 vman1 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: California
Posts: 56
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2012 RAM
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
vman1 is on a distinguished road
Default Engine noise when cold

My 2012 Ram started making knocking noise when cold, right after RPM drops to normal idle after cold start. It starts when coolant temperature is around 140. Once it warms up completely noise goes away.
I recorded it standing around 4feet away from the right front side where the noise can be heard most.
Dealer said is normal and started 2013 RAM on the lot. It makes some noises too, but not the same sharp knocking.
According to them all HEMI engines make the noise. I have 8600 miles on it.
This noise was not there when I bought it.
Any of you guys have same noise ?
Hope the link works:
http://youtu.be/-ofeF7gOHRU
Thanks for listening and any opinions.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2  
Old 02-09-2013, 10:29 AM
RAM SPORT CREW's Avatar
RAM SPORT CREW RAM SPORT CREW is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: East Coast Canada
Age: 30
Posts: 488
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2012 Ram Sport Crew
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 3
Rep:110
RAM SPORT CREW will become famous soon enoughRAM SPORT CREW will become famous soon enough
Default

I agree that they all make a little tick, but that is a pretty sharp knocking sound. My 2012 doesn't sound that bad. Last night at -13 it had the usual little tick but no where near that pronounced! There are other people on here that had similar issues and there are threads on it, not sure what their outcome was with their dealer but you could search for it I guess

I wouldn't be happy with that sound....
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-09-2013, 11:57 AM
Asur Asur is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,850
Gender: Male
Vehicle: .
Rep Power: 14
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Sounds like cold piston slap which is due to the engine design using a piston that is short and has the pin high up in the piston which allows some rocking, especially when cold. They do use a moly coating on the piston skirts to reduce this, but it is still going to occur to some extent. How cold is it in your area? I would bring it in to the dealer and have that checked, your gonna have to leave it over night, make sure its a cold one to be sure they hear it. but there's a chance this will be brushed off as normal and they will say something along the lines of "they all do this" Again, JMO

Second thing that comes to mind is a bad manifold bolt, as the engine heats up it will go away, eventually even when hot it will stay, so in the long run you will or might hear it even when in hot mode

Last edited by Asur; 02-09-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-09-2013, 12:16 PM
vman1 vman1 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: California
Posts: 56
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2012 RAM
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
vman1 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asur View Post
Sounds like cold piston slap which is due to the engine design using a piston that is short and has the pin high up in the piston which allows some rocking, especially when cold. They do use a moly coating on the piston skirts to reduce this, but it is still going to occur to some extent. How cold is it in your area? I would bring it in to the dealer and have that checked, your gonna have to leave it over night, make sure its a cold one to be sure they hear it. but there's a chance this will be brushed off as normal and they will say something along the lines of "they all do this" Again, JMO

Second thing that comes to mind is a bad manifold bolt, as the engine heats up it will go away, eventually even when hot it will stay, so in the long run you will or might hear it even when in hot mode
The coldest weather we get is around 40. It will do it even when it was 65 but the engine was cold (overnight)
I left it at dealer and they have heard it third morning finally and said YES there is a noise. The following was typical "they all do that" after they started 2013 RAM in front of me. It did make somehow similar noise (or it's frequency) but lot lower tone which sounded fairly normal to me. Nothing like mine.
It does not sound like a leaky manifold. That is usually even sharper sound from my experience. My old 02 had that problem. Back two bolts used to loosen up from time to time.
I guess I will have to make them write statement after I pick up the truck saying that sharp metallic knocking noise on cold start is normal to these vehicles.
But I doubt that they will write and sign that kind of statement.
At home the noise will be there every morning. At dealer it took three days and three cold starts. I suspected that they dumped some oil additive in to quiet it down. When I asked they said they wouldn't do that unless I request it. Which brings up another question. Anybody know where can I have my engine oil tested for additives (yes I understand I will have to pay for it). somehow I don't trust this dealer so much. The mechanic that changed lifters at 3700 miles on my Ram due to noise before kept saying that his HEMI is noisy too and that he wouldn't change lifters if he didn't think there was a problem with it.
I had the service manager, one service advisor and mechanic listen to the noise.
Thanks all for any feedback.
http://youtu.be/-ofeF7gOHRU

Last edited by vman1; 02-09-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-09-2013, 12:27 PM
Asur Asur is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,850
Gender: Male
Vehicle: .
Rep Power: 14
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman1 View Post
The coldest weather we get is around 40. It will do it even when it was 65 but the engine was cold (overnight)
I left it at dealer and they have heard it third morning finally and said YES there is a noise. The following was typical "they all do that" after they started 2013 RAM in front of me. It did make somehow similar noise (or it's frequency) but lot lower tone which sounded fairly normal to me. Nothing like mine.
It does not sound like a leaky manifold. That is usually even sharper sound from my experience. My old 02 had that problem. Back two bolts used to loosen up from time to time.
I guess I will have to make them write statement after I pick up the truck saying that sharp metallic knocking noise on cold start is normal to these vehicles.
But I doubt that they will write and sign that kind of statement.
At home the noise will be there every morning. At dealer it took three days and three cold starts. I suspected that they dumped some oil additive in to quiet it down. When I asked they said they wouldn't do that unless I request it. Which brings up another question. Anybody know where can I have my engine oil tested for additives (yes I understand I will have to pay for it). somehow I don't trust this dealer so much. The mechanic that changed lifters at 3700 miles on my Ram due to noise before kept saying that his HEMI is noisy too and that he wouldn't change lifters if he didn't think there was a problem with it.
I had the service manager, one service advisor and mechanic listen to the noise.
Thanks all for any feedback.
First thing, is there another dealer you could go to and get a second Opinion.

Second, you could on your next oil change, if its not full synthetic, change to full synthetic like amsoil and see if your issue goes away.

Third, When you do your oil change contact these guys and get a sample bottle before your due for an oil change, send in your sample and ask to check a) is your engine doing well and your engine, and b) can they detect other stuff in the oil that should not be there. I would even contact them and ask them before hand if this is something they can find out.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

I have them check my oil every oil change. worth the extra cost in protection.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-09-2013, 12:35 PM
clum553946 clum553946 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Visalia, California
Age: 59
Posts: 92
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2012 Ram Big Horn Crew 4X4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:24
clum553946 is on a distinguished road
Default

If you had the lifters changed, that could account for the noise if they didn't break them in correctly. Lifters that aren't broken in will wear themselves & the camshaft out. Usually you replace both unless things have changed!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-09-2013, 12:48 PM
Asur Asur is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,850
Gender: Male
Vehicle: .
Rep Power: 14
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clum553946 View Post
If you had the lifters changed, that could account for the noise if they didn't break them in correctly. Lifters that aren't broken in will wear themselves & the camshaft out. Usually you replace both unless things have changed!

Hes got a point, and Even if they broke in the lifters like they should of (1700-2000 rpm, never at idle), they do not always break in well, if they just replaced the lifters the geometry of everything needs to be of greater precision to maintain reliability. Cleanliness, alignment, clearances, journal surface finishes and lubrication must all be controlled more closely then when from the factory and everything in the engine is new, this is why most engine now are broken in at the Factory, we only need to break them in before pulling loads or carrying, first 500 miles.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-09-2013, 01:17 PM
vman1 vman1 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: California
Posts: 56
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2012 RAM
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
vman1 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asur View Post
First thing, is there another dealer you could go to and get a second Opinion.

Second, you could on your next oil change, if its not full synthetic, change to full synthetic like amsoil and see if your issue goes away.

Third, When you do your oil change contact these guys and get a sample bottle before your due for an oil change, send in your sample and ask to check a) is your engine doing well and your engine, and b) can they detect other stuff in the oil that should not be there. I would even contact them and ask them before hand if this is something they can find out.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

I have them check my oil every oil change. worth the extra cost in protection.
Yes there are few other dealers around. I will take it to next one once this dealer return my truck. They had to do couple other things (repairing two rims they messed up when they rotated my wheels and brakes due to warped rotor due to uneven torque of wheels - yes it is ridiculous). Guess where my not so much trust to them is coming from. Truck has been for 4 days now and I should get it back maybe on Monday.
Thanks for the advice and link to the lab. I will call them and ask if they can detect additives in engine oil.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-09-2013, 01:34 PM
vman1 vman1 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: California
Posts: 56
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2012 RAM
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
vman1 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clum553946 View Post
If you had the lifters changed, that could account for the noise if they didn't break them in correctly. Lifters that aren't broken in will wear themselves & the camshaft out. Usually you replace both unless things have changed!
Yes they did change all lifters due to noise at 3700 miles. It was similar noise as I have now only when cold but it was more noticeable on the left side of the truck and now it is on the right side. Hood closed.

The repair report said, replace full set of lifters, two lifters sluggish on idle, replace head gaskets. And misc items like oil, etc.

http://youtu.be/-ofeF7gOHRU
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-09-2013, 04:45 PM
vman1 vman1 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: California
Posts: 56
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2012 RAM
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
vman1 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asur View Post
Hes got a point, and Even if they broke in the lifters like they should of (1700-2000 rpm, never at idle), they do not always break in well, if they just replaced the lifters the geometry of everything needs to be of greater precision to maintain reliability. Cleanliness, alignment, clearances, journal surface finishes and lubrication must all be controlled more closely then when from the factory and everything in the engine is new, this is why most engine now are broken in at the Factory, we only need to break them in before pulling loads or carrying, first 500 miles.
OK so based on your input (and my believe) once they pull heads and start replacing parts, the engine will never be as good as original factory engine ? Unless they replace parts that need to be matched like lifters and camshafts together ? But then they would probably have to do valves and seats and list goes on......
It was making noise back then, so they decided to change lifter. The diagnosis took about 2 minutes of listening and mechanic said it's a bad lifter, ordered new set and did it. Now he is the only one that knows if he changed them all or not. But for sure they did not change camshafts.
I guess I am screwed. Chrysler is no help because they will blindly go with whatever dealer says. So if dealer says that it is normal noise Chrysler will back them up. What do you guys suggest that I should do ?
Ask for new engine ?

http://youtu.be/-ofeF7gOHRU
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Advertisement






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:57 PM.


= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors


=Gigathreads Network=
CLUBS MOPAR NATION DSM GPMM MAMM JAM
DIESEL Diesel Forum      
CHEVY Chevy Camaro Forum Chevy Volt Forum    
CHRYSLER Chrysler 300C Forum      
DODGE Dodge Avenger Forum Dodge Caliber Forum Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Charger Forum
  Dodge Circuit Forum Dodge Hornet Forum Dodge Magnum Forum Dodge Nitro Forum
  Dodge Ram Forum Dodge Dakota Forum Dodge Durango Forum Dodge Dart Forum
FORD Ford Raptor Forum Ford F150 Forum Ford F100 Forum  
JEEP Jeep Forum      
PONTIAC Pontiac G8 Forum      
SRT SRT Viper Forum SRT Cuda Forum