DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-07-2012, 10:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
lirex3 is on a distinguished road
Default Dodge ram steering problems

Hi,

I have a 2010 dodge ram 1500 crew cab 5.7 hemi. When I turn the steering wheel quickly left an right I hear a light thud. Now I noticed when I hit bumps I can feel the truck do a light wobble. Mostly on the right wheel. I previsioly had a jeep grand cheroke that had the death wobble (scary). The truck is not that bad but feels like a early stage of the death wobble. I checked all recalls on the truck and last year tie rods were replaced. It still has a warranty on it and going in next Thursday. I am wondering have any of you guys seen this before?
Sponsored links
Old 06-07-2012, 10:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:1266
Stump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud of

Could be a ball joint going bad but usually they will always thud on a bump. Could be a tie rod again.

Big Red my old 2011 Sport

Enjoy big benefits with a subscription to RamforumZ, become a site supporter today!

Don't forget to upload pics of your Ram in the Gallery!

Great how to's and lets not forget the Rulez.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:37 PM

With a bad tie rod would you hear that in the steering wheel? Could it be a bad steering rack?
Old 06-07-2012, 11:02 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:1266
Stump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud of

Usually a rack gives you a grinding sound along with soft and hard steering.
Tie rods can thud like ball joints. My old 99 Dakota ate ball joints like a fat kid eats cupcakes and over the 10 years I drove that rig I put in a total of 6 sets of upper and lowers. On the last go around I was shocked to find out it wasn't a bad ball joint that was doing the classic thud at low speeds, it was a bad tie rod. You will feel the thud of a ball joint or a tie rod vibrate back up through the steering as it's all interconnected.

Big Red my old 2011 Sport

Enjoy big benefits with a subscription to RamforumZ, become a site supporter today!

Don't forget to upload pics of your Ram in the Gallery!

Great how to's and lets not forget the Rulez.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:38 PM

Thanks guy's,

Truck only has just over 17,000 miles on it. I bought it used and called in today to verify warranty info. Truck has a year and a half left on its 3 year 36,000 warranty. And it's 5 year 100,000 drive train warranty is there. Dodge is great, no transfer fees and they said no deductable.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:55 AM

Vehicle: 2010 2500
Trim Level: slt
Color: white
Rep:108
ridgerunnerseoinc will become famous soon enoughridgerunnerseoinc will become famous soon enough

I've recently had my tie rod tightened and steering box replaced because it was leaking. All under warrentee. Have them check everything. I had to show them where the steering box was leaking, they couldn't find it even though it was right in front of their eyes. FYI check everything yourself too.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:35 AM

Thank's ridgerunnerseoinc... will do
Old 06-12-2012, 07:21 PM

Well dropped her off at the dealer yesterday. They told me to hang around while they look at the truck. Two hours later they tell me to take the truck and reschedule another appt they couldn't figure out the steering noise, they said needed more time. I just said I will leave it with them. So far no call today hopefully I get her back tomorrow. I feel lost without my truck lol. If it was a bad ball joint or tie rod I would think they would spot that right away. I did notice yesterday on the parkway I was bearing right at about 65mph and was a little bumpy road. The right front tire felt like it was bouncing up and down kind of like a bad strut but I don't think a strut would make that noise in the steering wheel. I am being anal about this because of my last grand Cherokee. I tell ya I changed out about everything in that front end to get the death wobble out. Turned out it was the track bar causing most of my issues on the jeep. Did the jeep myself in my driveway.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:52 PM

Update... All I can say is they suck. I get the truck back and the noise is still there. They tell me it's a truck and they all do that. Funny at work there are six dodge 1500 there and none of them make that noise. All have tight steering and way more mileage than mine. They Just replaced the swaybar end links.
Also said they replaced my rear sliding window regulator and when I pull out I go to open it it jammed half way. I heard the Mecanic say how did he manage to break it. Well another hour sitting at the dealer for them to tell me they have to order a new window. It will be in next Thursday. I am going to take it to another dealer after they fix my window to get the front end checked out again. I know that clunk is not normal.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Crystal Black
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
fwd25 is on a distinguished road

just got the tie rod replaced and summer tires instaled (yoko 305-45 r22) , no noise in the steering but i do get a light wooble from time to time when i reach 95k/h+ at first i taugh it may be a bad wheel balancing so i push it to 170k/h...from 150 to 170 it ride like on rail and no wooble at all , i really want to find the way to correct that anoying light wooble , i am thinking to upgrade the shock or install a steering damper and see what happen